Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile ZLD MKII vs wetsounds WS420SQ?

shawndoggy

I am EQ shopping. Gonna be between these two unless someone can point me to another contender. I don't care a whit about the PA feature on the 420.

I've had the old version of both and strongly preferred the ZLD, but one reason for my preference was the single knob fader, which exile has abandoned. My other reason for preferring the exile was that the prior gen 420 was noisy... But I understand that is fixed with the SQ?

Anybody have any real world hands on experience with both units that they'd care to share?

(Please lets not turn this into some kind of customer service/gentlemens choice/they aren't really 9" argument).

I tried both (old versions) on my old boat. While the WS was noisier, I still preferred it. Main reason was having a separate EQ for the tower and cabin. My cabin speakers are JL and my towers are Rev10's so they have very different sounds qualities. In the new boat I went with the WS and it is much quieter than the old version.

I am running an SQ after my malibu head unit and I really like it.

I added and arc audio ALD b/t the RFX 3000 and the 420 sq and it made a huge difference.

I have no hiss, him or wine of any kind.

Set my HU at 30/40 of volume. Adjust gain on ALD till clip light comes on and use WS 420 to control it all.

The ALD was the best investment to date in my system and I did not have to crack the WS420 open to adjust inputs at all.

I play my iPhone via the Malibu cable.... Works great!

I have the 420SQ and basically have 0 noise through the Rev 10's.

If I were buying right now, I would order the WS420BT with the integrated Bluetooth. I've really enjoyed the 420SQ though I don't have any experience with the first 420

Noise has not been an issue in my experience, with generation prior to the SQ, that had fixed sensitivity. With both units being the same retail price, the one that has the dual EQ has the clear advantage IMO. I also prefer the wire leads over the 3-way connector. Sub phase and Hz take up space on the board and face.

With both EQs similarly priced, one huge difference really stands out. The Wetsounds has a dual zone EQ, in other words, two EQs for the price of one. If you can't get benefit from this, especially if using tower HLCDs, then you don't need an EQ at all.

The first Exile EQ used really cheap construction, no different than any number of $50 EQs. Now the MKII has followed Wetsounds with strain-relieved RCAs, sealed front panel pots, and six channels of discrete output. So for the first time the Exile EQ build quality is on par with the Wetsounds.

The first gen Wetsounds EQ had some ambient noise issues that was multiplied somewhat by bad installation technique. The new WS420SQ does not have noise issues. If there is noise significant enough to be a distraction then it is an issue to be corrected within the installation. Tons of people are now using the Wetsounds WS420SQ noise-free.

There are a couple of front panel features on the Exile ZLD MKII that have no real benefit and just add clutter. 1) Phase. 2) Variable lowpass-only crossover. If the tuning is done correctly to begin with neither of these adjustments should ever be made on the fly. The crossover should not be used to replace the function of a bass level control or a bass tone control or both. These are simply left over artifacts from EQs of the '80s & '90s prior to when all amplifiers had a built in crossover. In fact, it would really bother me that the EQ does not allow me to bypass the lowpass filter. I would rather use the more precise crossover found in most high quality amplifiers. This way I know the exact slope and frequency. If I'm forced to maintain the EQ crossover and try to raise the frequency to get it out of the bandwidth, allowing me to use the amplifier crossover, then I would have cascading phase rotations. In other words, the redundant phase rotation of both lowpass filters. For good subwoofer to in-boat coaxials integration, I want a symmetrical crossover frequency with minimal overlap.

No, that would not be correct.

In the first Exile EQ, the in-boat and tower zones were driven off a single stereo chip, so that voltage was divided between those two amplifiers via an internal preamp fader. The Wetsounds EQ has always used three discrete stereo chips direct to the RCA outputs....tower, in-boat & sub. Otherwise it would never be possible for Wetsounds to feature a dual zone EQ and a dedicated paragraphic bass control found on the original. Now, the Exile MKII has followed Wetsounds and is using a separate stereo chip for each zone. They just don't have the dual zone equalization like Wetsounds.

Something must be wired wrong cause I have all sorts of engine noise playing through my speakers. ws420sq, wetsounds bluetooth adapter.

I would suspect so and here is why. The EQ can not generate engine noise, but only amplify whats entering it on the signal path or power harness.

• Like 1

Shawn, one other feature I've found handy with the ZLD is the ability to recess the buttons flush.

Helps bigtime with guest drivers when it's your pull.. Recess all the buttons minus the big volume knob. Helps them not to start spinning all the knobs they shouldn't when it's your turn to surf.

An aspect those who don't have a wakeboat or actually use them would understand.

Shawn, one other feature I've found handy with the ZLD is the ability to recess the buttons flush.

Helps bigtime with guest drivers when it's your pull.. Recess all the buttons minus the big volume knob. Helps them not to start spinning all the knobs they shouldn't when it's your turn to surf.

An aspect those who don't have a wakeboat or actually use them would understand.

I kept my HSE revolution, which really removes the need to touch ANY buttons.

Haha! Been super busy building new home. Done and back in the grove!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to high jack the post but, what brand is the new boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you set your volume at the dock and you are good for the day? Lol

How does that work out for you?

As far as having the stereo set up for for me to take a set, yep, works perfectly. All the driver has to do is gas-n-go. Stereo takes care of itself.