Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Ballast input needed

Dylan01

I'm trying to maximize my wakesurf wake on my new boat, and need some input. I have a 2000 Wakesetter VLX. Preciously, I pretty much slalomed only, so this is all new to me! Currently this is my setup with the Wicked Wake Surf:

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX

Rear: Port 1100 (filled up to 800ish) Starboard 550

MLS ski locker full (500?)

Front 400 v-drive sac filled to approximately 300ish.

No Wedge

How can I maximize this? This is the wave at 11.0 on my new stargazer. I have additional bags, but am not sure where else to go with this.

Thanks,
Dylan

post-26572-0-08991900-1413932830_thumb.j

Edited by Dylan01

Try dropping your speed down to about 9.6 or so. I found on my 06 23 LSV that I had to slow down to surf on the port side. Starboard side was fine at about 10.6 -11. I'm not sure why it's this way.

Ballast set up as follows:

Homemade Wicked Wakesurf

All factory tanks full except for opposite rear tank about half full to give a little bit of list.

Two full 750's in the rear lockers.

Full 450 bow sac.

A 225 sac on the rear seat.

And sometimes if there wasn't any extra human ballast, a 300 on the surf side.

Wedge all the way down and then up 2-3 clicks.

Edited by Kojak

I think you need to list the boat more to the port side by adding weight to that side. The picture shows the boat level... Need to list it and it will clean up the wake. Probably fill the 1100 as much as you can, and fill the 550 starboard locker bag and probably fill the front ballast. The listing of the boat should clean up the wave, even at slower speeds. We have surf gate and still list the host a little. Also you might try different angles on your homemade surf gate. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

Thanks. Im trying not to list the boat too much since we have an infant on board most of the time. I'm also running in salt water so I suppose I could need additional weight as well.

And all my fat friends joined fad diets....

I think you need to list the boat more to the port side by adding weight to that side. The picture shows the boat level... Need to list it and it will clean up the wake. Probably fill the 1100 as much as you can, and fill the 550 starboard locker bag and probably fill the front ballast. The listing of the boat should clean up the wave, even at slower speeds. We have surf gate and still list the host a little. Also you might try different angles on your homemade surf gate. Good luck and have fun!

why do you put weight on the opposite side that u surf on i thought you put it all on one side

why do you put weight on the opposite side that u surf on i thought you put it all on one side

If you have surf gate or wicked surf gate, you just need to list a little and add as much weight as your boat can take to get a great surf wave. Even if you do not have a "gate" I understand that weight is needed on both sides but list as much as possible to the surf side. I'm sure others that do not have surf gate or similar can add to this, but since the OP has wicked surf gate he does not need to list the boat very much probably about 10-15 degrees is all it will take to clean up the wake.

I really think that you need more weight. Start by fully filling what you have. Then add more if necessary. It's definitely a trial and error process. It took me all summer to finally dial mine in the way I wanted.

Good luck!

Stevo you have a lot more rear weight then I would expect.

I'm completely new to this ballasting thing so I'll take any and all opinions. It is really tough for me to get out and just test run ballast. To get a good listed wave sounds like it's well documented, but the wicked wakesurf tabs are a newer thing so I guess not as refined. I do realize this is a flat bottom boat.

Really appreciate everyone's input.

Since you have no wedge, if I were you, I would not use any bow weight. The bow weight in my boat was to help lengthen the wave and get my boat to our normal surf speed of 11.8 to 12.2. You may not need that bow weight as you do not have the drag of the wedge. This should help, but also a slight list to the port side should help even more. you need as much extra weight anywhere near the rear which will give you extra push in your wave (you might swap out the starboard 550 for an 1100 and fill it 80% and fill the Port 100%. Try the 550 extra you have about 80% on the starboard rear most seat to experiment, and if it works, get an 1100 sac in the locker on that side. Keep trying and you'll find how much and where. It took us half a summer of continual trial and error to get the wave tha we have it now. We have some big guys that ride with us occasionally that require a lot of push... including me! Have fun!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

Google

Wicked Wake

It will fix your problem

No wedge

Rear and center tanks full

Add 300 on top each side

Slow down to 9.6-9.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm already on it chief

So I have another 1100 on the way, the engine divider braces, and a one-way valve for my bilge pump.

So I'm assuming I can't fill both the 1100s to about 900ish in the rear. The MLS full. Should I still add the 400 to the bow? And should I start at 10mph and only go fast enough to clean up the wave?

Thanks!

Edited by Dylan01

I have an '06 VRide and from the spec section above we have the same hull. Only difference is I have a manual wedge and you don't have any.

Here is what we run and get a clean wave everytime.....granted we are not very far back from the boat, but we still get the push and a clean wake. Currently deciding if I am doing a ballast upgrade or Wicked Wake this offseason.

~750-800 in surfside locker (250 hard tank with 550 additional bag)

500 Mid Ship ballast

350 up front

Wedge down

While I realize you don't want to list too much, I would dump the weight out of the non surf side.

PP set anywhere from 10.2 - 10.8 just depending on the people ballast.

So I have another 1100 on the way, the engine divider braces, and a one-way valve for my bilge pump.

So I'm assuming I can't fill both the 1100s to about 900ish in the rear. The MLS full. Should I still add the 400 to the bow? And should I start at 10mph and only go fast enough to clean up the wave?

The 1100's only fill to 1036lbs if filled 100% (Fly-High over rates them, same goes for the 750's). Should fill to about 900 in your boat.

No need to reinforce the divider. I fill my full very regularly without any bowing issues. The dividers on the older boats are different than the newer stuff.

Here is my setup: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51606-i-think-i-have-my-sv23-fairly-dialed-in/

I've got more post side weight and wedge to help out.

Thanks Nitrous. I've looked at your setup quite a bit, and really like it. My dividers are all warped from the previous owner for unknown reasons.

Alright, it's going down tomorrow. My plan is to fill up both rear 1100s as much as I can, and pile everyone on the surfside since we switch back and forth. Should I run the MLS and/or any forward ballast? Hopefully I can do some live updates!

Thanks again!