Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer opinion

Sp8102

Would you choose a new boat mate trailer over a used aluminum trailer? The price difference is about $2500 for the new trailer. Both are tandem axle and have swing away tongues the aluminum is a McClain trailer. I'm not sure if both trailers have brakes yet. I don't plan on using it in salt water.

Edited by Sp8102

Are you ever moving the trailer without the boat? My boat is on a lift all summer, and I sometimes need to move my trailer around the yard during the summer. I wish I had an aluminum trailer because I assume there is a big weight difference. It also might make a small difference in towing something lighter, although the weight difference between the trailers is probably minimal when considering the total weight of the boat with trailer.

• Like 2

Just check the connection points on the aluminum. People overload trailers sometimes and the aluminum will crack. I had an aluminum trailer under one boat I had, loved it. I'd go AL all day long.

From the rust/ corrosion side, aluminium if you are not galvanising the trailer.

Aluminium is lighter, but since the sections are larger to carry the same weight as steel, not as much as you would think.

Talking to manufacturers, you may pick up a 100 lb weight saving.

The used aluminium trailer, is it set up for your boat?

You touched on the brake systems, if like for like, equal comparison on this side.

Falko touched on the cracking. You rarely see a weld crack through the weld. Usually alongside the weld.

From what I understand this is due to the structure of the metal changing with the heat from the welding & embrittlement occurring alongside the weld. Aluminium is more susceptible to this unless the weld area has been annealed after the weld.

We see a mix of alum trailers down under, some welded, some bolted to avoid this.

Have a close look if welded aluminium for any signs of cracking.

The owner may give you an idea of how much the trailer was towed each season.

I recently looked around for an aluminium trailer down under as my Boatmate had ruled to the point I was concerned the front may crack.

Not may choices for a inboard down under. Ended up rebuilding the boat mate & this time, galvanising with paint over.

Yeah as far as I know its set up for the boat. I haven't seen it yet. But I am glad to know what to look for. I am leaning more towards the aluminum now just because the boat will be stored in a boat lift for 9-10 months out of the year. And the trailer will more than likely be outside.

Why not a painted galvanized Boatmate trailer? The aluminum trailers ride high, look odd and scream salt use - something you would have to convince a future buyer that you never used it in salt every time someone inquired about the boat.

I was looking for something the dealer had in stock. He has the painted steel boat mate trailer in stock. But it was an extra $2500. The boat is going to be kept in a boat lift and will probably only have it on a trailer during the 2-3 winter months in my garage. The rest of the time the trailer my be sitting in my yard. I was thinking the aluminum trailer would do better being left in the weather.