Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV Stereo Upgrade

MalibuGA

Okay I'm looking for input.

I need to upgrade the stereo in my 23 LSV. I will need 6 in boat 6.5" speakers, a sub, and 2 tower speakers. I may need amps but I currently have a Phoenix Gold Octane 8.0.4 and a 8.0.1 for the sub.

For the 6 boat speakers I was thinking about the Rockford Fosgate M262B or Polk MM651UM's. The Polk's are more expensive but I'm more concerned about which one is better?

For the tower I was contemplating Wet Sounds Rev 8's or Exile XM-7's (or maybe XM-9's).

Any options on this set-up? Are my amps sufficient? Is the JL sub in the fiberglass enclosure a good option or should I build my own box?

You may want to consider the Exile SX65Ms for the 6 in-boat speakers. I was looking at the same replacement last year and both the RF and Polk were options I considered but ended up getting the Exiles. I know when you buy 3 pair you get them for $153/pair at Bakes. Make SURE they're in stock before you buy though just in case there's a back-order from the supplier which can be a pain. I really liked them this year. I'm running them at 2 Ohms and on a 5 channel amp and they put out good sound/power (wife was always telling me to turn it down so.....). Someone else can chime in with the tower speaker selection. I don't have much experience there but will be buying some this winter more than likely. Good luck with your project.

I would second the Exile interiors really high quality speaker that sounds great and also looks pretty sharp as well. I have also ran the HERTZ High energy series and really liked them they sound great but are a bit spendy. As for towers I would also say Exile in my own opinion ... but you should go listen to both. I had two sets of Exile Surf 9s on my last boat and they where that warmest ,clearest sounding tower speakers I have ever ran and for sure will be running them again on this years boat. Good luck with you choices I am sure you going to get lots of opinions.

Why would consider an 8" speaker from brand X and a 6.5" from Z? Leave out the 6.5" and keep the comparison between two speakers of comparable size.

I would suggest a dedicated tower amp. So once all the speaker options are made, then you can decide if the current full-range would be best suited for the in-boats or tower, then choose an amp that best fits the other zone.

Thanks for your input thus far.

Any idea if I can get chrome grills on the SX65M's (like the XM-9's)? The area where they mount is black and it seems like they would blend in being all black. However, I do like that Bakes will give a quantity discount (just wish they added a little bling factor the Fosgates).

Regarding the speakers I'm replacing, if you're interested shoot me an email at [email protected] (six pioneer 6.5's and four tower cans, black bullets w/ horn projection tweeters and DB651s drivers).

Okay I checked with Exile and they only have black grills for the SX65M's ($180). They seems a little boring being all black. Any views on the Rockford M262's ($125)? I like the look of the stainless grill and they're less expensive but is this a bad choice, am I going to sacrifice a lot over the Exile or Wet Sounds XS-650 ($275)? It seems like maybe the Rockford is more comparable to the Wet Sounds XS-65 ($175). Thoughts?

Another question (although I'm not sure anybody is reading this forum) has anyone replaced the rear seat flip down cup holder with a couple of speakers (like the newer Malibu's)?

• 6 years later...

Need some help. My P500x2 Rockford  Fosgate amp went out that supports the tower speakers. I replaced the amp with the same model. The amp powers ups but I cannot get any power to the speakers. Any thoughts on what to check. Can’t imagine that four speakers blew out

Elaborate on "went out". How did you verify the amp was indeed, dead. Did you set the dials and switches on the new amp, to an appropriate position? One easy way, is to mirror the old amp coming, as it was working at one time. Is the new amps power light normal or in protect mode? 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Elaborate on "went out". How did you verify the amp was indeed, dead. Did you set the dials and switches on the new amp, to an appropriate position? One easy way, is to mirror the old amp coming, as it was working at one time. Is the new amps power light normal or in protect mode? 

The power light went out as well as the speakers. I used a voltage meter to be sure I was getting power from the battery which I was.  I did mirror the old setting on the new unit but will check again. Thought there might be a inline fuse but none found dedicated to the amp.  

There should be some form of circuit protection, fuse or breaker, but check voltage again across the amp's B+ and B- terminals and then the B+ and turn-on terminal.