Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Real world diesel mpg

Falko

I used to only run Toyos until my last set was toasted after 12k miles. I was less than pleased. The manager at Less Schwabb said they quit recommending them for Diesel trucks due to Toyo changing to a softer compound that wears out faster with heavier loads. Switched to a set of duratracs, time well tell...

Mmm, comforting. We shall see. I hated the only set of Duratracs that I had, and the Open Country AT2s were on national back order for a few months. I paid the same price as I would have for the AT2s, so I decided to just go for it.

• Like 1

Just talked to my neighbor and he got a 2014 Ram 150 4wd with the Eco Diesel 6 cylinder. Full 4 door and the 5.5' bed. He's had it for 2 months. Around town and towing 23 mpg. Highway 27-28 mpg.

• Like 2

Just talked to my neighbor and he got a 2014 Ram 150 4wd with the Eco Diesel 6 cylinder. Full 4 door and the 5.5' bed. He's had it for 2 months. Around town and towing 23 mpg. Highway 27-28 mpg.

Impressive. What does he tow?

I run a 2012 Toyota Landcruiser 4.5 Lt twin turbo with DP Chip.

We live in the mountains so around town is always up or down hills with a lot of time spent warming the engine and get 13.5 Lt. per 100km ( 21 mpg ). When we leave the mountains and get away our best result is 10.5 Lt. per 100km ( 27 mpg ).

Our average since new is 12.5 Lt per 100km (22.6 mpg ).

Looks like you guys are getting better mileage out of bigger engines.

Diesel here cost $1.79 per Lt (could not work out what that is in your language ).

Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oz- the U.S. version of the Landcruiser has a 5.7L gas V8.... And with the all wheel drive and the 10% ethanol in our gas it gets 10city and 13highway. It's terrible.

That makes the diesel great economy , our diesel is also AWD and loaded with steel bull bar winch ect. I think the chip really helps this small diesel V8 , next addition is a dual 3 inch s/s exhaust.

my 7.3 excursion gets nowhere near what MA is getting. I'm more like 11 in town, 11 towing, and 14 on the interstate if I keep it under 75. Over 75... 11.

I believe MA's is a manual shift, but still thats a big difference. Shawn did you forget to inflate your tires after you went rock crawling?

I believe MA's is a manual shift, but still thats a big difference. Shawn did you forget to inflate your tires after you went rock crawling?

yeah and my in town trips are very short. heater barely warms up in the winter by the time I'm pulling into work. That can't help. And neither can the BFG AT tires or the 2" lift. IIRC, MA's commute is pretty steady state at 60ish and same for his tow to the lake. My regular tow has 20ish signals and an 1300' elevation change over 50 miles. So again, not optimal from a mileage perspective. Really haven't done much long distance travel in it because I'm cheap and would rather get 30 on the road than half that.

I can totally see how a manual would make a ton of difference. I started geeking out with my civic a year or so ago and I can regularly get 28-29 in town with some rather aggressive use of neutral. With a 3 ton truck momentum is certainly the key to mileage.

• Like 1

Agree with both you guys. I've got a 6 speed manual with 2 more gears than Shawn's auto. The tires, the tranny, 4 inch exhaust, and the tuner all help. The tuner actual is by far the biggest difference for mine. If I switch it back to "stock" mode it feels like a turd and the mileage drops off like no one's business. My commute is a nice easy drive with two stop signs and I can cruise 60-65 the rest of the way. A couple big hills but also a couple 2+ mile coasts in neutral or engine off. I'm having too much fun hyper miling this thing. At 4 tons, it can sure coat a long way!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 2500 duramax with stock tires. I consistently get 22-23 mpg (hand calculated) on unloaded long freeway trips that include a mountain pass driving the speed limit or close. Running around locally I get between 12-14. Any stops and starts kills the milage. Pulling my 10K lbs. travel trailer on trips I usually get about 9. I can get about 13-15 pulling my ski boat down the highway. My buddy with the same year and model who chipped it, did the air filters/intake/exhaust, and went to straight pipes, and literally cut out the DEF system, claims he is getting 3-5 mpg better than me in all conditions.

my 7.3 excursion gets nowhere near what MA is getting. I'm more like 11 in town, 11 towing, and 14 on the interstate if I keep it under 75. Over 75... 11.

OK so I underestimated a bit. We drove over donner pass (7057') to Berkeley CA (0') a couple weekends ago. Spent the weekend there and did a fair amount of driving the Ex in Berkeley too (talk about a bull in a china shop). Got 16 for the weekend and that includes both sides of Donner driving an average of 70ish on the freeway (including the steep pulls on the way back). So just a wild guess, but I'd bet that it's good for at least 1mpg better doing pure freeway, and probably a little better than that doing pure freeway somewhere flat.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a 2012 Toyota Landcruiser 4.5 Lt twin turbo with DP Chip.

We live in the mountains so around town is always up or down hills with a lot of time spent warming the engine and get 13.5 Lt. per 100km ( 21 mpg ). When we leave the mountains and get away our best result is 10.5 Lt. per 100km ( 27 mpg ).

Our average since new is 12.5 Lt per 100km (22.6 mpg ).

Looks like you guys are getting better mileage out of bigger engines.

Diesel here cost $1.79 per Lt (could not work out what that is in your language ).

Cheers [emoji482]

Hey guys

Since this post I have now fitted the 3" dual stainless exhaust system with ceramic dump pipes and hi flow diesel cats. Now our average has gone from 12.5 Lt. Per 100 km to 11.25 Lt per 100 km (22.6 mpg to 25 mpg)

But it should get even better when the novelty of the great sound wears off and I stop putting my foot down every time I go through a cutting.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy has a 13' extended cab d max with auto and only about 14mpg everyday driving and 12 pulling his x15 down to the river.

But doesn't all the diesel Econ benefits fall off pretty fast with such a difference in fuel price?

This morning in Madison WI gas was 2.77 and diesel 3.79.

This is the best solution for a combo of a truck with the ability to tow a decent load and get good MPG. None of the 2500 series trucks will be able to compete here.

just deleted my 6.7 cummins (egr & DPF) and i was getting 21 mpg heading down i5 (pdx to corvallis) around 100 miles.

will keep you guys posted as i get more miles on her

• Like 1

900 miles, 90% freeway/highway @ 65-72, avg 16.5 in 2001 7.3. With diesel commanding a 20% premium around here now! those results are decidedly "meh".

Comparing the countless ford trucks I've driven, you might get that out of a 5.4 but every v10 I ever drove got absurdly bad mileage. You'd hate the 5.4 probably so don't feel bad. What happened to diesel being cheaper than gas anyway?

Comparing the countless ford trucks I've driven, you might get that out of a 5.4 but every v10 I ever drove got absurdly bad mileage. You'd hate the 5.4 probably so don't feel bad. What happened to diesel being cheaper than gas anyway?

Yeah, totally. I drove a couple of V-10 excursions and they were DOGS. Felt like yugo powered. Just no power at all, and that was driving them absolutely unloaded.

low sulphur diesel (around 2006?) basically killed cheap diesel.

Totally weird pricing on diesel. Here in Reno it's $3.59 (gas 3.29). Local cow counties, it's 3.49 (gas 3.15). Middle of Nevada, it's $3.59 (gas 3.49). Las Vegas, it's $3.69 (gas 2.99).

Edited by shawndoggy

just deleted my 6.7 cummins (egr & DPF) and i was getting 21 mpg heading down i5 (pdx to corvallis) around 100 miles.

how'd it go?

Which tuner? Waiting to do the same as soon as my warranty is up.

Might be of interest to some.... Chevy offers the 6.6L Duramax in the 2015 Express vans.... Would certainly consider that as an option for the space... however AWD/4WD isn't available so wouldnt work for me.