Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Real world diesel mpg

Falko

Will be changing daily drivers in the next year or so. My commute is much down from where it was and some other circumstances would make having a truck a nice option. While I do not need heavy duty, looking at either a Ram or Chebby 2500 series with Diesel power. I know you typically do not spend the money for a big diesel to get the economy, but if I am going that route, rather get some power as well. But if the mileage isn't that great with the 2500's, I might hold out for one of the newer 1500 Diesels.

So, you guys with 2500's that drive them regularly, what are your coal burners getting for mileage? Thanks in advance.

my 06 dodge 6spd 4x4 on 35's gets right at 20mpg with summer fuel. That is about 50% city, 50%hwy at 75mph. Somebody else will have to comment on the newer trucks with all the emissions junk on them. BTW it has intake , exhaust and a H&S mini maxx tuner, don't really think think it helped any in mpg but sure does wake the truck up.

I'll be the first to say, you are gonna get a bunch of BS numbers asking that question. Too many people believe what their truck computers tell them and never actually hand calculate their mileage. They also do not adjust their speedometer to be accurate with bigger tires and just estimate it, I used a GPS to have my speedo be almost 100% correct. My overhead computer is consistently 3mpg higher than what I hand calculate. I also have a 2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 on 34's that has been able to get over 20mpg (got 23.5 going 62mph on a trip to Canada), but that's not a common occurrence. My truck has a TON of work done to it all in the name of clean power/MPG and I'm happy getting 18-20 on the highway. I live in a small town and according to my truck's computer (it tells you how many minutes it has ran since reset), I average about 25mph and that KILLS your MPG. In town, I get about 13-14 mpg. On the highway around here, averaging 65mph, I see right about 20-21mpg. On the interstate going 70mph, I'll see 18-19mpg. If I speed up, mpg drops off quickly.

So, with all that being said, take answers to your questions with a grain of salt. NO ONE gets above 20mpg consistently going 75mph. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is a lot of weight and wind drag. I've had random trips with great fuel mileage, but it averages out to a lower number. I am VERY happy with my fuel mileage, 500+hp and 1100lb-ft of torque needs fuel. :whistle:

As you can see above, 1HELLUVALIFE isn't BS-ing ya. 20mpg is about the limit these trucks will get.

Edited by gorilla

Ha ha yea my computer always says around 23 to 25 mpg even when towing. If only this was true.... What year truck are you looking at? I'm curious to see what these newer trucks are getting.

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE

I have had 4 different HD diesel trucks. Ford 7.3 / 6.0 / 6.4 and a pre DPF Duramax. the 6.4 got the worst average mileage 13mpg and the 7.3 got the best at around 16mpg. My brother had a 06 Cummins with a 6 speed manual and could get 19mpg if he was light on the throttle. The newer diesels with all the emissions get around the same now that they are using Urea injection.

Edited by Tims

LMM duramax 2500, completely stock 18.9 from Charlotte to Jackson Mississippi and back in April, hand calculated because my base model doesn't even have MPG on the computer :cry:

Edited by Ndawg12

I had a new Duramax it got around 16.5 real world day to day and I currently own a 6.7 Powerstroke and it gets around 17 MPG real world mix of city and highway but mostly city and country roads.

For sake of comparison, I was getting a max of 18mpg on the highway with a 2003 tahoe 5.3l z71 on brand new road tires. My real world usage was 14-15 not towing anything, 8-10 towing a 2005 vlx and remember that a tahoe is the 1500. Diesel will get better mileage and have more power than it's gas counterpart. This mileage dropped significantly as soon as the tires wore. Oh, also this was on brand new bearings as well.

Edited by ryansgt

Here's my log of mileage in the Excursion this summer over a dozen or so tanks of fuel. 7.3L diesel, 6 speed manual, 4 inch exhaust, and a DT Tuner. Most tanks are 2 weeks of back and forth to work (60 mile round trip @60-65mph with 3 stop signs) and two trips to the lake towing the boat(40 miles round trip). YMMV. :)

post-7666-0-51945000-1413308124_thumb.pn

• Like 2

^^^ funny you say that MA. I have been convinced my Michelin LT (3/4-1ton rated)road tires gave me a 1-2mpg bump.

Never said anything because I thought folks would think I was crazy. Ive got 55k miles on this set, maybe another 10-15k left on them. I will buy the exact same set again, I pulled my receipt out from when I bought them in 2011, I paid $1250 out the door at Sams.

• Like 1

stay away from drive thru lanes at banks and fast food, as nothing kills good mileage faster. Sitting in the 95 degree parking lot with the cab pressurized with cold AC while your kid takes his sweet time getting out of school also kills it.

Edited by Bozboat

Sounds pretty good considering our Armada is averaging 13 or so, but it sees very short trips, it's the wife's vehicle. My little car only gets 24.5 with me commuting and highway weekends for games. A switch to the diesel wouldn't be that earth shaking, and I wouldn't have to schedule around wifey to get the truck for taking the boat.

Here's mine:

1994 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 12V. Rebuilt HD Transmission, aftermarket Exhaust and Cold Air Intake. For 2 fill-ups, I have been in the 17-19 MPG range with 90% HWY/10% City. I have worn set of LT285/70/17 BFG T/A KOs Load Rating D, but will be throwing a set of LT285/75/17 Toyo M/Ts Load Rating E on this Monday... I expect to lose a few MPGs, but boy have I always wanted a set of those Toyo's!

Fuelly:

http://www.fuelly.co.../MCObray/317759

My last fill up was 20.07 hand calculated on my '10 LMM ccsb. That was 95% HWY at 55-65 MPH. Normally it is between 18-19 MPG 85% HWY, 15% City. Pulling to the lake, 200 miles round trip, I will get between 13-15.5 depending on how I drive.

BTW....I bought my Michelin's mid April. You can see it helps over the old Hankooks that came on it.

You sure the air temp did not have anything to do with your mileage bump? All my diesels economy suffered in the cold. (Took forever to warm up)

Yep. Previous years mileage is worse than this summers. Trust me, I did quite a bit of research on tires before buying and picked the Michelin's. A couple extra mpg and quiet long life were the big reasons I went with them. I'll buy them again.

Yep. Previous years mileage is worse than this summers. Trust me, I did quite a bit of research on tires before buying and picked the Michelin's. A couple extra mpg and quiet long life were the big reasons I went with them. I'll buy them again.

What Michelin's did you go with? I have been looking at the LTX M/S II.

You sure the air temp did not have anything to do with your mileage bump? All my diesels economy suffered in the cold. (Took forever to warm up)

Don't forget about winter diesel with all the additives mine will drop almost 2 mpg.

Here's mine:

1994 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 12V. Rebuilt HD Transmission, aftermarket Exhaust and Cold Air Intake. For 2 fill-ups, I have been in the 17-19 MPG range with 90% HWY/10% City. I have worn set of LT285/70/17 BFG T/A KOs Load Rating D, but will be throwing a set of LT285/75/17 Toyo M/Ts Load Rating E on this Monday... I expect to lose a few MPGs, but boy have I always wanted a set of those Toyo's!

Fuelly:

http://www.fuelly.co.../MCObray/317759

I used to only run Toyos until my last set was toasted after 12k miles. I was less than pleased. The manager at Less Schwabb said they quit recommending them for Diesel trucks due to Toyo changing to a softer compound that wears out faster with heavier loads. Switched to a set of duratracs, time well tell...

2011 Ram 2500 crew cab, bone stock. Best I have seen is 19.5 highway. My mixed is usually somewhere around 15 when not towing (my truck is almost always towing something though). City is 13-14. I used to hand calc everything, but the computer on my truck is usually within .2 of my hand calc. My 2008 Megacab would get 21-23 freeway with a straight pipe, tuner, and air filter. I haven't modded the current truck yet since it is still under warranty.

2006 Ram2500 4x4 Megacab 5.9L. Intake, fuel filter, tuner, straight exhaust, 35" tires, auto trans.

Speedo GPS certified.

Best 270mile round trip @ 65mph was 22.9mpg w/ no AC used.

Summer averages are about 20-21mpg @65 on the same 270 mile round trip.

City driving the averages are about 16 in the winter and 14 in the summer.

Towing the boat @65 on the 270 mile round trip (no tall grades) it gets about 15.

Towing the camper and gear with boat it gets about 10 but with long steep grades.

2001 Tundra with 4.7L. Towed a 20 ft tag camper to San Diego and back. Averaged 5.8mpg. Bought a Duramax within the month. Same camper, same trip, and 11.5mpg average.

Diesel for life.