Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FUEL PUMP FUEL PUMP FUEL PUMP Indmar MPI Engine

Call me confused…and $300 less in my pocket. I searched this site just now and did previously before I purchased a new fuel pump for my 1998 Malibu Response LX with Monsoon MPI engine. The pump would prime intermittently and then almost not at all. I pulled it and checked the screen and replaced both fuel filters. I also recently drained the tank and added premium gas and fuel system treatment. I’m almost certain it is a fuel pump armature issue so I bought a new one.

I searched far and wide, including here, and concluded I needed an Indmar 556014 (http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1241). The Indmar Fuel Pressure Reference Chart (PDF) states the engine requires: Key-up 43-45 PSI Idle 35-38 PSI WOT 43-45 PSI. Yet as far as I can tell an Indmar 556014 is a 25 PSI pump. At least the fuel pump sent to me is a 25 PSI pump because it says so right on the pump. My original one says HIGH PRESSURE on the pump. Both are electric fuel pumps and have a vapor return port going back to the gas tank

With the new pump installed I get 20-25 PSI at the fuel rail. On the water it runs ok with no load, but then started sputtering, backfiring, and generally runs bad. Back in the driveway it doesn’t run well at all.

So my question is – What is the right fuel pump for my boat and does it require 45 PSI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

556014 is the correct pump. I have never seen one with 25 PSI stamped on it. I will check our stock on Monday but we sell lots of those pumps and have not been getting any calls or complaints. Did you buy your pump from Bake's or some other dealer?

@ Engine Nut - No I did not buy it from Bakes. It appears that the money I saved was not worth it.

Here are the facts that I know at the moment. 1) boat ran fine other than a slight hesitation from low throttle to high throttle. One day at ramp there was no fuel pump whine at key turn. 2) old pump has 962 PFI - HIGH PRESSURE 2627A stamped on side of pump. 3) new pump has 987 TBI - 25 PSI MAX stamped on side of pump. 4) other than that the pumps look identical.

Which leads me to believe I was sent a pump for Throttle Body Injection which is NOT what I need. The pump appears to be a Carter P60987 which is NOT the same as a Carter P60962, Indmar 556014, PCM RA080023, Marine Power 438603, Crusader 23234. There is a lot of misinformation out there on the ole Inter-Web. BUYER BEWARE!

I found a CARTER Part # P60987 [General Mtrs. Marine 181/3.0L 1994-96; General Mtrs. Marine 350/5.7L 1994-96; General Mtrs. Marine 454/7.4L 1994-96] closeout on RockAuto.com for $32.84. If any of you need that pump go grab them. That is a great price. Makes me wonder how many shady places are buying them at that price and reselling them as P60962 at 10x markup.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I need to spend more time here and pay it forward when I can!

That's a hell of a price for that pump. We can't buy them for anywhere near that price. We used that low pressure pump at first but switched everything to the higher pressure pump. The fuel pressure regulator in the throttle body unit controls the fuel pressure to the level needed.

Engine Nut - did you have a chance to look at what is stamped on the pumps in your stock? I'd be curious to know what they have on them.

The dealer states that he sent the correct pump for my application as the HIGH PRESSURE pump has been discontinued. He claims the 25 PSI MAX pump will provide more than 25 PSI. I’m still skeptical, but he will send another pump out in case the pump is bad.

Can anyone verify part numbers and how they align between Carter and Indmar?

Carter P60962 = Indmar 556014 = 3 bar = 45 psi?

Carter P60987 = Indmar ?????? = 1.7 bar = 25 psi

Maybe I should go ahead and replace the pressure regulator too to cover my bases...

I'm glad I saw this post. My 06 5.7 Monsoon has been chocking out at about 3000 rpm's. Put a new pressure regulator on and still doing the same. Hooked it to a computor and its saying fuel flow. My tech says its a plugged pick up or the fuel pump. I dont want to lay it up not working properly, does anyone have any comments to fix this??? Whicch Carter fuel pump should i get and where?

• 5 months later...

Just now getting back to this. I was able to get the correct fuel pump () and a new fuel pressure regulator. Yet I have a NO START condition. Not getting 45 psi at fuel rail (28-30 psi, 62 psi with regulator dead-headed). With MPI the boat should at least start. Yet I don't seem to be getting gas in the cylinders. Tried starting with the fuel pump electrical connector disconnected which would allow the pressure to bleed down, but no joy. Swapped fuel pump relay with ECM/EFI relay and fuel pump still worked, but no change in condition. What would keep the fuel injectors from opening and spraying fuel into the cylinders? I mean all 8 of them. The engine will start with starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body so I know I'm getting spark and the fuel pump is working and providing some pressure.

This seems very similar to tgcbi's problem: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52674-need-help-any-info-will-be-apreciated/page-2?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Binjector#entry805706

Thanks,

Gumbus

sorry that i don't know where the connector is but it looks like there is one 4 pin connector that carries ALL of the signals to the injectors. find it and give it a good look. i've had plastic retaining pins on these connectors fail and the conductor doesn't seat properly.

that connector carries power from the ignition fuse to all the injectors (on 2 pink wires taking up 2 pins on that connector) but if the rig will run when dumping fuel down it's throat i don't think the ignition fuse is an issue.

the other two wires in that connector (blue and green) connect directly to the ecm.

i will take a peek at my rig asap to find that connector.

edit: did take a look but can not find that connector. perhaps it's one of the connections at the plate the ecm is mounted on?

Edited by tvano
  • 2 weeks later...

Resolved!! Happy happy joy joy. Took the boat into Clear Lake Power Boat Service here in El Lago, Texas. Brought all of the troubleshooting that was done by me and my buddy. Ruled out a bunch of stuff, but was not getting gas in the cylinders. As it turned out all 8 fuel injectors were clogged bad. Hard to believe, but when one fuel rail was removed a bunch a black stuff was blown out and after ultrasonic cleaning the injectors for an hour only one would pass gas...so to speak. When banged on a bench a bunch of rust & black stuff came out of the injector too. Again the boat is a '98 and these were probably the original injectors. The low pressure at the fuel rail was due to a bad Schrader valve which was replaced. Took the boat out on the lake and was able to hit 50 mph on lake which it has NEVER done in the 10 years I've had this boat. I prolly need to cal my speedos, but the engine runs well under load. It is hard to start (need to provide throttle out of gear) and idles high, but will work those issues when I get fresh gas and have run it a few times.

In hindsight I replaced the fuel pump, regulator, and filters last fall. I removed and replaced everything (not tank & supply/return line) up to the fuel rails a couple of times. I thought I was careful during the process, but can't explain how all of a sudden all 8 injectors were bad. The last time it ran on the lake I was towed in after an hour or so. Maybe some crud was dislodged during all the iterations. May never know.

• 2 years later...