Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Elite Shield Trailer and Fender Coating

Cory

What are people's thoughts on Boatmate's Elite Shield trailer & fender coating? What sort of added protection does it provide? How much? How does it look. From the few pictures I can find online, it appears to add a texture to the paint.

post-4451-0-12897400-1412633509_thumb.jp

I have it on mine.

It's for the guy who trailers a lot, and doesn't want rock chips eating away at his trailer. Or perhaps surface rust, or scrapes from folks standing on the paint to reach up into the boat.

I love the look, it somewhat resembles the metal flake on my boat. I think my trailer will look brand new 5-10yrs from now with it.

• Like 1

Those wheels make me want to hurl ;)

I like the wheels....they're just chrome versions of everyone's blacked out wheels! Wish I had chrome wheels. I don't like the elite shield paint. I know it has it's place, but I like a gloss finish. Jmo

Cory, to answer your question, they coat EVERTHING in it, the leaf springs, the brake lines, nuts, bolts, the hardware everything. Looks like it was dipped in it, every inch of the trailer, except for the items that are bolted on or attached afterwards.

Dont think that BS undercoating new auto dealers offer where they spray sections of the wheel wells to prevent rust... the entire trailer is covered thick from every angle.

I can tell you for certain, whoever is spraying these trailers with it at Boatmate, isnt trying to skimp on materials. Its a quality job and I would get it again.

Cory, to answer your question, they coat EVERTHING in it, the leaf springs, the brake lines, nuts, bolts, the hardware everything. Looks like it was dipped in it, every inch of the trailer, except for the items that are bolted on or attached afterwards.

Dont think that BS undercoating new auto dealers offer where they spray sections of the wheel wells to prevent rust... the entire trailer is covered thick from every angle.

I can tell you for certain, whoever is spraying these trailers with it at Boatmate, isnt trying to skimp on materials. Its a quality job and I would get it again.

Leaf springs?? What kind of trailer have you got?

Ya that would work in the worst place... behind the wheels in that section that houses the rear brake lights. That fron panel section gets pelted non-stop by rocks from the trailer's tires. 2 black trailers looked like hell there in that section in only one season of use each from rock chips. Not the biggest deal, but detracts from the look of the trailer.

I felt that both of my black gloss trailers showed age, wear and tear faster than they should have. Nothing against design or materials, just the nature of the beast for those who trailer a lot I guess.

Edited by nyryan2001

What do you guys think of clear bra used in a few key places around the trailer to help with rock chips?

The bed liner idea is pretty good... is it only in black?

Clear bra is awesome.... I even put it in the transom ilo a transom mat....works good so far
  • Like 1

I am considering get a black BM trailer with this Elite Shield and upgrading the fenders to stainless steel. Do you see any longevity issues with SS fenders. I figure they would hold up better, and I personally like this look (I realize not everyone does).

They may not allow this combo. I"ll have to investigate.

Edited by Cory

I am considering get a black BM trailer with this Elite Shield and upgrading the fenders to stainless steel. Do you see any longevity issues with SS fenders. I figure they would hold up better, and I personally like this look (I realize not everyone does).

They may not allow this combo. I"ll have to investigate.

Personally I think SS fenders looks awesome. They will definitely hold up better. In a few years or so, you can also unbolt them and polish them again, making them look brand new. Pretty tough to do that to a rock chipped fender.

^^^ they absolutely won't chip if he does the Elite Shield.

Cory, if you are doing it for looks and aesetics only, then rock on. Don't do it for longevity... Sprayed with that bed liner inside and out, Regular fenders will last forever.

^^^ they absolutely won't chip if he does the Elite Shield.

Cory, if you are doing it for looks and aesetics only, then rock on. Don't do it for longevity... Sprayed with that bed liner inside and out, Regular fenders will last forever.

I agree with you but I think he said he didn't like the elite shield. And neither do I. It's kinda ugly...like a galvanized trailer. So in that case the SS fenders are a good alternative. And they look cool