Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody skimp on the trailer?

powderjay

True, unless he is talking about not "pimping" his trailer with silly stuff like rockstar wheels, glitter paint, etc.

Although I would think that there are cheaper tandems to buy than the boatmates - might be able to save a grand or 2 by going with a lesser trailer brand - something adjustable.

And there's the problem. We all have a different definition of what "skimp" means. Some take that to mean that not buying all of the bling is skimping. I don't. I look at not buying things that add essential functionality to the trailer as skimping, such as a pivot tongue or a spare mount. I picked those 2 options because those are the only 2 that I've ever added when ordering a trailer, & would consider anyone that didn't add them to be "skimping". But the cost on those 2 options combined isn't much. I think that was my point. But if your definition of "skimping" is different, then sure, we're not going agree.

Honestly, I think that I'd just go with a trailer delete than buy one that's cheap & crappy. But that's just me.

• Like 1

And there's the problem. We all have a different definition of what "skimp" means. Some take that to mean that not buying all of the bling is skimping. I don't. I look at not buying things that add essential functionality to the trailer as skimping, such as a pivot tongue or a spare mount. I picked those 2 options because those are the only 2 that I've ever added when ordering a trailer, & would consider anyone that didn't add them to be "skimping". But the cost on those 2 options combined isn't much. I think that was my point. But if your definition of "skimping" is different, then sure, we're not going agree.

Honestly, I think that I'd just go with a trailer delete than buy one that's cheap & crappy. But that's just me.

And those are not even options on a Boatmate (although the spare tire that goes on the mount is optional)

Additionally "cheap and crappy" is a subjective thing. There isn't anything wrong with the EZ-loader trailers that Lance doesn't like, other than that they look like what comes under a standard runabout.

If the OP is trading in his 13 then I don't understand why he doesn't just keep his current trailer for the new boat.

• Like 1

And those are not even options on a Boatmate (although the spare tire that goes on the mount is optional)

Additionally "cheap and crappy" is a subjective thing. There isn't anything wrong with the EZ-loader trailers that Lance doesn't like, other than that they look like what comes under a standard runabout.

If the OP is trading in his 13 then I don't understand why he doesn't just keep his current trailer for the new boat.

Totally agree.

As other have stated not having a trailer would eliminate you from my consideration in the used boat market. To me it tells me the seller is a cheap and as such I immediately start thinking that he also probably cheaped out other places like say winterizing or oil changes and expects me to pick up his slack for him for not buying a trailer. The only way a would consider a boat without a trailer is if it were priced accordingly to include the full price of the new trailer along with my time and frustration of having to order, take delivery and load the boat. That being my take I rarely will look at a used boat that doesn't include a matching trailer. You know, one that was made for that boat. I recently looked at a boat where the guy bought a bass boat trailer and was trying to pass it off as the correct trailer for his inboard. The boat sat almost a foot too far forward on the trailer.

Another example would be of the 07 MasterCraft X14 that's been sitting for 2 years that's still for sale in my area. Nice looking boat with low hours and seems to be in great condition. Seem priced well until you add the $6K for a trailer. The owner would appear to be getting close to a reasonable selling price but only after 2 years of reducing the asking price. That time frame to move the boat alone would make me think twice about not getting a trailer.

That being said I by no means expect to see a trailer with 20" gangsta wheels, runway lights or any other fancy options. I do expect the trailer to be in the same condition and quality of the boat. Anything less and I'm off to the next one. But that's my opinion, I could be completely off base on this one.

And I thought skimp meant that he was going to try for a single axle trailer.

And I will agree, there probably isn't a thing wrong with them. Its my perception that when I look at them that they are poorly made. Thats why I think having a "decent" trailer helps sell the boat later. But you know how it is, I am just speaking from my viewpoint. Others may see it differently.

Regarding the OP, I think you can cut all the "bling" no problem and still sell the boat. Just don't skimp on the utilitarian stuff.

and this reminds me when I once was helping a guy with an Epic wakeboat at the launch. I stepped up on the trailer fender just as he told me not to and the fender bent all the way down to touch the tires. I am so used to being able to do that I didn't give it a second thought. That right there is a cheap trailer.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

And I thought skimp meant that he was going to try for a single axle trailer.

Is there even an single axle setup out there that would carry a boat that heavy? I was assuming not, & that it wasn't even a possibility. And even if there is, would it really be cheaper in the end vs going with a basic tandem? I'd really have to question that.

Is there even an single axle setup out there that would carry a boat that heavy? I was assuming not, & that it wasn't even a possibility. And even if there is, would it really be cheaper in the end vs going with a basic tandem? I'd really have to question that.

Not for long :lol:

The current 247 is over the weight limit of the axles that boatmate uses. Whats going to happen when the new one comes out. Triple axle eh?

and this reminds me when I once was helping a guy with an Epic wakeboat at the launch. I stepped up on the trailer fender just as he told me not to and the fender bent all the way down to touch the tires. I am so used to being able to do that I didn't give it a second thought. That right there is a cheap trailer.

Now that is cheap. Even the plastic fenders on my old Bayliner trailer could be stood on with no issue.

Not sure how not buying a trailer would lessen the resale value. When you buy the boat you save +/-$6000 by not buying a trailer. When you sell the boat it's worth +/-$6000 less so the buyer can budget a trailer into the cost. No storage over the years of ownership, no registration. Seems to me that if you don't need a trailer, don't get a trailer. As far as pimping a trailer, IMO it's like lifting a 4x4 truck and never taking it off road. Ballers or little d!(?s is my perception.

Not sure how not buying a trailer would lessen the resale value. When you buy the boat you save +/-$6000 by not buying a trailer. When you sell the boat it's worth +/-$6000 less so the buyer can budget a trailer into the cost. No storage over the years of ownership, no registration. Seems to me that if you don't need a trailer, don't get a trailer. As far as pimping a trailer, IMO it's like lifting a 4x4 truck and never taking it off road. Ballers or little d!(?s is my perception.

I agree. But if you've got a cheap underbuilt trailer and your trying to sell the boat.....then it becomes an issue. At least it is for me.

But if the boat didn't have a trailer and I got 6k allowance for it I could have a nice Ryan built up. And thats something :)

The EZ loader under my VLX is just was well built as the Boatmate that was under my RLXi. I've had no problems with it and I tow everytime I use the boat. Are there things I would like to be different, of course. The same could be said about the boatmate too.

The dealer cost for my pretty basic trailer was over $4K (2011 prices).

Having owned one, I wouldn't be scared away from a boat because of an EZ loader trailer.

The EZ loader under my VLX is just was well built as the Boatmate that was under my RLXi. I've had no problems with it and I tow everytime I use the boat. Are there things I would like to be different, of course. The same could be said about the boatmate too.

The dealer cost for my pretty basic trailer was over $4K (2011 prices).

Having owned one, I wouldn't be scared away from a boat because of an EZ loader trailer.

I would own one but would definitely fix those guide poles.

To me it tells me the seller is a cheap and as such I immediately start thinking that he also probably cheaped out other places like say winterizing or oil changes and expects me to pick up his slack for him for not buying a trailer.

I do expect the trailer to be in the same condition and quality of the boat. Anything less and I'm off to the next one. But that's my opinion, I could be completely off base on this one.

Interesting. Based on this, I might have a tough time selling the boat (if I do). Boat has 600 hrs. Trailer has far less, and is hard to keep it from being sunbaked. My boat & trailer haven't seen each other in like 2 months.

My just sold boat had as basic of a trailer as you could get (although I did have the brakes upgraded to 4 wheel discs). It was C channel not tube. My next trailer will be big pimpin, cost be damned. I want one of this rigid good handling trailers I've been hearing about.

• Like 1

I would own one but would definitely fix those guide poles.

They don't bother me. They pivot so they don't stick out as far. With the boatmate, I had to remove one to maximize my garage space. I don't have to do that with this trailer.

They do sucks when you want to use one to climb in or out though.

• Like 1

My just sold boat had as basic of a trailer as you could get (although I did have the brakes upgraded to 4 wheel discs). It was C channel not tube. My next trailer will be big pimpin, cost be damned. I want one of this rigid good handling trailers I've been hearing about.

And with the haul that you have....thats a smart move.

Shawn, agree with this 100%. Trailer DEFINITLY helps with resale of the boat. Roughly $1-3k more for a bling trailer, money well spent.

And beyond just bling... Quality and weight rating. Just because its new and bling'd out doesn't mean it's the right trailer for someone who tows a lot. I am in the tow a lot category so I pay bigtime attention to this.

Test it. Hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle.... Get in the boat in the center and try to bounce the boat with your body weight, both up and down and laterally rocking hard on the tower. Is it firm

and stable? Or does it behave like a trampoline? Does the entire trailer creek and groan when you transfer the weight from the tow vehicle to the jackstand?

Just my opinion. I only tow very far 2 times a year beginning end of season otherwise 1/4 mile to ramp. Disc brakes folding tongue and spare are necessary. Bling etc is a waste of money.

And another consideration as it pertaibs to the heavier boats:

A 2 axel bling trailer like TJ has above can be bought for around $5k(8k lb ish rated 5" tube frame ) if your dealer doesn't gouge.... or for $7-8k you can get a 10k lb rated tri axle with 7-8" tube frame.

Night and day difference in towing the 2, especially with a 1/2ton truck. Much much more stable, less tongue weight, improved braking, tires at 40% capacity vs 90%, near zero flex, etc etc.

Edited by nyryan2001

I spent about $2k more for a really nice trailer on a $100k boat that I towed over 2,000 miles this summer so to me it's well worth it. Ryan hit the nail on the head with his comments. I've towed with my trailer and the standard Boatmate trailer - trust me, there's a difference at 65mph. Again, if your boat sits on a lift you don't need a "blinged" out trailer.

I love when conversations turn into whether or not something is "worth it". As if we needed 12" touch screen dashes, crazy expensive towers, huge motor upgrades.....

• Like 1

Thanks, If I was trailing a ton it wouldn't be an issue. But just hate to have a 6-7 grand trailer sitting in a lot or garage somewhere. Hopefully, if I can make the numbers work I can get into a 15LSV and move into the lake house and be all set for the next 10-15 years!!