Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody skimp on the trailer?

powderjay

If your boat is kept on the lake all summer how important can the trailer be?? Hate to have an expensive trailer just sitting exposed or in a barn all summer. Plus I'm contemplating trading in my 13 on a brand new 15 LSV. Skimping on the trailer would be a good way to make the trade loss a little more tolerable. Mistake??

If your boat is kept on the lake all summer how important can the trailer be?? Hate to have an expensive trailer just sitting exposed or in a barn all summer. Plus I'm contemplating trading in my 13 on a brand new 15 LSV. Skimping on the trailer would be a good way to make the trade loss a little more tolerable. Mistake??

Skimp in what way? As long as it is rated for the load on it then what else matters?

The base boatmate trailers are already pretty fancy (and expensive)

• Like 2

I have a buddy in Seattle who bought a 96 Prostar with no trailer and a really nice boat lift. The boat has lived almost its entire life on the lift, every season of every year. Once every couple years he borrows a trailer to take it in & get some work done on it. And he cant take the boat anywhere else. But he doesn't regret it at all.

I think resale might be a tough hit.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I went with a single axel. I don't travel with my boat so I just got a good single axel. If I wanted to take a trip I would have no problem with the trailer. If I did trailer more often I would go with a better set up. A single axel is much easer to move into a small area .I can move my boat around by hand so its a benefit for me.

My concern would be resale, a large percentage of the market will be looking for a boat with a good trailer. I can tell you, I am currently shopping and the trailer is very important to me. Even if you price it accordingly, I would have to consider having one built and that another 6k.

• Like 2

I think that as long as you buy the boat right, the resale value isn't an issue. Re-sellability is another issue though.

One question that I have though, is if you buy the trailer then how do you think that you can skimp on a trailer for a boat that size? There isn't a S/A out there that will accommodate it, & the difference between a single & tandem is where the bulk of the savings would be. Deleting the trailer altogether may be the only realistic option.

Jay, are you buying from skier's pier?

If so, they use eagle trailers and the stock one is actually really nice. Take a look at mine. That is the base trailer. It has nice rims/wheels and some cool lights at night

& the difference between a single & tandem is where the bulk of the savings would be. Deleting the trailer altogether may be the only option.

Not really. Dealer told me the difference is $500 (Boatmate Tandem vs Single for a VTX). Folks generally don't buy singles to save money, they buy them because they are a lot easier to move around in tight places.

• Like 2

My concern would be resale, a large percentage of the market will be looking for a boat with a good trailer. I can tell you, I am currently shopping and the trailer is very important to me. Even if you price it accordingly, I would have to consider having one built and that another 6k.

ditto. I just finished shopping around and ran across one without a trailer. The cost to buy a trailer on top of the boat was higher vs other sellers that already had both. Not a huge deal, but I don't want to pay an extra bit of money and have to wait while the trailer get's built if I can just go to another seller that I can walk out the door today on with more money in my pocket and a boat in tow.

Not really. Dealer told me the difference is $500 (Boatmate Tandem vs Single for a VTX). Folks generally don't buy singles to save money, they buy them because they are a lot easier to move around in tight places.

I understand that. But my point is that the single biggest savings point on a trailer is the difference between a single & tandem, & that isn't an option for him. If that's the case, then where does he think that he can skimp enough to save significant dollars?

I understand that. But my point is that the single biggest savings point on a trailer is the difference between a single & tandem, & that isn't an option for him. If that's the case, then where does he think that he can skimp enough to save significant dollars?

WG w/ all due respect, the options on trailer easily eclipse the expense of going from SA to DA. Thje option list on trailers these days is amazing.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I understand that. But my point is that the single biggest savings point on a trailer is the difference between a single & tandem, & that isn't an option for him.

True, unless he is talking about not "pimping" his trailer with silly stuff like rockstar wheels, glitter paint, etc.

Although I would think that there are cheaper tandems to buy than the boatmates - might be able to save a grand or 2 by going with a lesser trailer brand - something adjustable.

True, unless he is talking about not "pimping" his trailer with silly stuff like rockstar wheels, glitter paint, etc.

Although I would think that there are cheaper tandems to buy than the boatmates - might be able to save a grand or 2 by going with a lesser trailer brand - something adjustable.

The multi color (and now metallic) options, fender, latching, lighting, and rolling options have gone nuts.

The multi color (and now metallic) options, fender, latching, lighting, and rolling options have gone nuts.

Had to laugh at your quote, as I think of my trailer.....so true!

On the option list for the boat I was quoted the trailer was listed at around 7K!! seems a little high considering I will use it most years 2 times. Was thinking I could pick up a used trailer or single to save money. Was hoping to keep the boat for a while but that's what I said about my 13!!

I could care less about a blinged out trailer. My trailer is bone stock with 14" chrome steel wheels and tows just fine. There's a dozen upgrades I'd rather do between boat and gear. Trailer is pretty much last on the priority list.

Honestly you *need* to at least HAVE a trailer. I wouldn't even look at buying a boat without a trailer coming with it. A good percentage of us don't live on a lake, or have a lakehouse where we'll be keeping the boat.

Having said that, I don't think you get your money back out of it for resale if you go full retard on a trailer and spend $15k on it. I prefer a tandem because I'm paranoid about blowing a tire on a single, but it's definitely not a deal breaker for me if it's only a single. Other than that, as long as it pulls straight, stops well, and gets me to and from the lake - I see no reason to go balls out on a trailer.

So, from that aspect... yes, I say "skimp on the trailer accessories."

Having said all that, I'm going to be working on my trailer during the offseason. Already has a new brake system, now it needs paint, decals and a few details that I have in my head to make it match the boat and tow rig a little better.

If you want to buy a cheap a** trailer for a 23lsv, I know a guy that has a Dorsey that he'll let go for cheeeeap. lol

• Like 2

On the option list for the boat I was quoted the trailer was listed at around 7K!! seems a little high considering I will use it most years 2 times. Was thinking I could pick up a used trailer or single to save money. Was hoping to keep the boat for a while but that's what I said about my 13!!

How about trading in the 13 and keeping its trailer?

I splurged on my trailer but I tow a decent amount and frankly, I just wanted something to match my boat.

My trailer has upgraded 18" wheels, transom steps, diamond plate, and the entire thing is rhino lined gray to match the boat. Is it expensive yes, but it's also very functional.

Transom steps - a must for getting in and out of these tall boats.

Wheels - besides the 10,000 compliments, this trailer tows MUCH better than my old Boatmate. They're not just bling.

Rhino lining - I'm really particular about rust and paint chips. Plus, my trailer was sort of a prototype at the time.

Anyway, I'd do the same trailer again 10 times out of 10, but I use it a lot too. If my boat sat on a lift all year I'd think about the base trailer, except for the steps.

trailer_zps324daf67.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q743/trevorklein/trailer_zps324daf67.jpg

Edited by tjklein
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Jay, IMO it is different in our area. Most people, like you said, use their trailer twice a year. Once it put the boat in and once to take it out for storage. I would order a trailer because then you have the option to go on trips with the boat. Personally in our area, as sweet as blinged out trailers are, I would never order one. Just like Doc said the standard Eagle trailer withe the nicer wheels are perfect for around here. Still look pretty good but don't break the bank.

If I can use myself as an example in my shopping I have seen a few 23 LSVs on the EZ loader trailers....they look cheap and probably are. Consider how they mount the guidepoles....looks like A DIY job. I am really turned off by the appearance of quality in that trailer. Maybe I am wrong, but they look cheap.

I splurged on my trailer but I tow a decent amount and frankly, I just wanted something to match my boat.

My trailer has upgraded 18" wheels, transom steps, diamond plate, and the entire thing is rhino lined gray to match the boat. Is it expensive yes, but it's also very functional.

Transom steps - a must for getting in and out of these tall boats.

Wheels - besides the 10,000 compliments, this trailer tows MUCH better than my old Boatmate. They're not just bling.

Rhino lining - I'm really particular about rust and paint chips. Plus, my trailer was sort of a prototype at the time.

Anyway, I'd do the same trailer again 10 times out of 10, but I use it a lot too. If my boat sat on a lift all year I'd think about the base trailer, except for the steps.

trailer_zps324daf67.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q743/trevorklein/trailer_zps324daf67.jpg

You also look like you got every option available... ever. In the history of ever.

It makes sense that you would drop a little extra cheese to upgrade the trailer to match a boat with $5-10k of stereo and a 550hp supercharged Cadillac motor. lol

:)

Me? The only supercharged motor I'll ever see on my boat is when I convince ProCharger to make a bracket for me to bolt up an M-1SC blower to it. haha