Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warrantee Replacement of Skins

747captain

2011 23 LSV

My seats were turning pink with the black cover on and parked outside.

We are working with Malibu to replace them. My question is

I have no issues NOW with seams splitting and am wondering if QC has fallen to the point that the new skins I will be using are inferior to what I have now? All this talk is concerning me, I can deal with pink upholstery with a new cover in Gray uck.

You can order black, but they recommend against it. Kind of funny when all the EVO covers I see are black

When I was considering an EVO cover, I talked to Cory and he recommended I go with a lighter color. I think he has not had as much problem with the vinyl discoloration, but it makes sense to not heat up the interior of the boat to 75 degrees above the ambient temperature. He said that most of his covers that he is making now are in the gray spectrum.

Edited by TallRedRider

We looked at both when choosing the colour and settled on the black for 3 reasons, aesthetics, resale and not showing mold or mildew under the cover or dirt on top. I also looked at quite a few forums from SO California before making my choice where those who had both black and grey covers didn't find too much difference in internal heat held in the boat. Sunbrella breathes so that is a great advantage but if it was a non breathable cover grey would definitely be my choice.

We looked at both when choosing the colour and settled on the black for 3 reasons, aesthetics, resale and not showing mold or mildew under the cover or dirt on top. I also looked at quite a few forums from SO California before making my choice where those who had both black and grey covers didn't find too much difference in internal heat held in the boat. Sunbrella breathes so that is a great advantage but if it was a non breathable cover grey would definitely be my choice.

Wouldn't you want to be able to see the mold/mildew so that you could fix the problem before it gets all over your vinyl?

Wouldn't you want to be able to see the mold/mildew so that you could fix the problem before it gets all over your vinyl?

I can see your point but I pull the cover off every week summer or winter so would see any problems. The biggest problem I had with my skins is that brown discoloring which was worse during winter which is strange. Just finished cleaning with Starbrite vinyl stuff so looking good again. Theoretically because Sunbrella breaths mold and mildew should never be a problem and the boat is always dry before the cover is left on.

• 1 year later...

My 2010 dis colored really bad with a black cover, but it would only happen in direct sunlight. Not when covered and in the shade. In any event, Malibu replaced all the skins.

My 2010 has the same issue and the carbon colors are cracking. Can you post the information of how you went about getting in touch with correct Malibu person to take care of this?

My buddy put a couple small solar powered fans in his cover several years ago. Keeps it cooler and removes moisture too. So far the cover has not suffered from the fans installation. They really move the air when it's hot & sunny out.

I think we're getting off topic here

Let me clarify

Is the QC of the new skins as good as my 2011 has?

I don't know about his. our 08 never had seam issues for 4 years, but our '14 had 3 panels split in first 100 hours. I don't know if its quality or that people are stepping down harder on the cushions because the step-down seems bigger in the bigger boar.

lets put them side by side and jump on them until one breaks.

I've found the best cover made is a garage.

Unless you're traveling with your boat.

My vinyl is burned as well. When I get it replaced in a year or two I'm getting a light gray evo cover. That black is just ridiculous.

Unless you're traveling with your boat.

My vinyl is burned as well. When I get it replaced in a year or two I'm getting a light gray evo cover. That black is just ridiculous.

I know some will disagree. But I never have the cover on when transporting/on the road. Tooo many problems created by flapping against the gel coat!

I know some will disagree. But I never have the cover on when transporting/on the road. Tooo many problems created by flapping against the gel coat!

Not when towing. When you're parked at a hotel, or a cabin, or on the dock you have to leave it overnight at since you aren't home...

• Like 1

Not when towing. When you're parked at a hotel, or a cabin, or on the dock you have to leave it overnight at since you aren't home...

Yep...or even when houseboating. Putting the cover on keeps the dew and bugs outta/off the boat's interior!

That's actually how mine got "burned" in the first place. Previous owner kept it in a climate controlled storage area for his construction business. Had it's own little section and everything. But he traveled for a week to some lakes in Arizona and had the cover on in the parking lot of the hotel, and then cover on it when he left it at the dock at the cabin. Took one week in 100+ degree Arizona sun to do the damage.

I dry stack mine in a warehouse on the water at our lake, but I've been fighting it ever since. It fades out after a day or two in the sun, but if I have to leave it at the a friends dock overnight or something I always put the cover on it. Heat builds up, sunburn comes back. The vinyl is in great shape physically, it just has that "stain" in a few spots where the cover was laying on it and it got too hot.

As the good ol' boys say... "just one'a them there deals." *shrug*

It's been a struggle between leaving it as is or forking out a few grand and replacing it. No one rarely says anything or even notices at all... but I notice it and it bugs me.

Just throwing out my observation... I had the issue with my 2011 VLX (had white vinyl). didn't have it on the 2012 LSV (moonbeam or charcoal, forget which), haven't had it on the 2015 T22 (light gray - whatever color they call it).

didn't have the issue on my 2013 X2 (grey vinyl).