Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover pooling?

DarkSide

New, like back in 11 or 12? You think that price is across all models or just for the VTX?

New in 2012 when it was bought with the boat. I'd assume a bigger boat cover costs more - makes sense that it would. My father in-law was talking about ordering a new Commercial Sewing cover for his 2004 LXI because he liked mine so much, I'll have to ask him what he got it for. FWIW - the factory cover on his 2004 has lasted 10 years, at least 4 of those moored outside.

photo165.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Based on those prices and inflation since, I'll simply say a discussion with Cory would be worth their time.

Bakes lists them currently for $800 (Plus) depending on which tower you have. Doesn't seem to be any price difference for the longer boats. So mine from them would be $880 ($792 after the crew discount).

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1441

Looks like they only list the black covers - I actually prefer the grey version I have.

It is probably pretty ghetto but I am sure with about an hour and a trip to Lowe's you could fab something up comparable to a hang tyte.

It just makes me ill to pay 50 bucks for a piece of plastic and a string

Gonna go out on a limb here and bet you've never used or even held a Hangtyte and have no idea what you are talking about. And no, you would not find this at Lowes. And your irritation about the $40 price is an indication youve never used one, because if you had, you'd appreciate the time saved, and convienience it offers versus OEM pole and strap contraptions, huge balls or PVC riggings. These other methods certainly work, but take more time

For someone who has to cover (and not a loose draping cover under a covered boat lift just to avoid dust) at the end of every use, and rainwater pooling is a real issue, this is money very very well spent.

I suspect you have no first hand knowlege of them and rainwater pooling isnt even a concern of yours.

Every cover has pros and cons. For about 8 years I had a locally made custom cover. It took 3 tent poles and about 14 straps along the sides and was a huge pain to put on and off, but it never pooled water ever (except one huge snowfall, but that's different). The poles held the cover so high, the rain would run off and it never had a chance to pool.

This year I bought an Evolution Cover. No straps on the side, just the ones on the back. Easier to put on and take off. The bow area doesn't require a pole and I have no pooling in the bow. But I can't get it to stop pooling just in front of the rear sun deck even with the tower hook and a tent pole. My boat just has a long run between the windshield and the stern, and the angle it sits on the lift doesn't give it a very steep slope. I need to tighten up the center seam this winter and see if I can get it tight enough to not pool.

Pros and cons for both.

I have a Sunsetter and had the same problem with pooling before the sundeck untill adding the tripod seen below. Mine is a Sunbrella cover and has a rachet strap that pulls around the perimeter from the rear of the boat so gets the cover really tight. I also keep the waterpfoofing up to it in the problem areas.

As for openings where the tower goes through the cover I 3D printed some 2 piece hats the act as little umbrella's stopping any water getting in there. I also have a shade sail material over cover that keeps the sun off the main cover dropping the internal temp in the boat by 30ºc in summer as well as stopping the seats from disclouring from the heat. I have since added a section that goes over the sides and swim platform to keep the sun off those also. I can also change the angle of the over cover to encourage water to drip more on the edge of the cover to aid in not pooling in the middle.

DSC00019_zps4799a6e2.jpg

tripod_zpse487a7c7.jpg

DSC01490_zpsbf2b0513.jpg

5daef9ddaf7126865d16b4cfba84d93c_zps20d9

In a 21' boat? I have to think its not adjusted right. Are you pulling the rear straps tight? And the hooks are adjusted so you have to pull them down over the rubrail?

Any pics of it?

This year I bought an Evolution Cover. No straps on the side, just the ones on the back. Easier to put on and take off. The bow area doesn't require a pole and I have no pooling in the bow. But I can't get it to stop pooling just in front of the rear sun deck even with the tower hook and a tent pole. My boat just has a long run between the windshield and the stern, and the angle it sits on the lift doesn't give it a very steep slope. I need to tighten up the center seam this winter and see if I can get it tight enough to not pool.

Pros and cons for both.

Every cover has pros and cons. For about 8 years I had a locally made custom cover. It took 3 tent poles and about 14 straps along the sides and was a huge pain to put on and off, but it never pooled water ever (except one huge snowfall, but that's different). The poles held the cover so high, the rain would run off and it never had a chance to pool.

Pros and cons for both.

I'd love to see pics of this. How high the d-ring raises the cover, how it's adjusted side to side on the j-hooks, the transom straps, and overall angle on the lift.

• Like 1

I'm pulling everything as tight as i can get it, I've adjusted the side hooks and use the D-ring. The only thing I can't control is the angle on the lift. It's stretched out a bit in the rear now so i need to hem the center line this winter and take up the slack.

I'm pulling everything as tight as i can get it, I've adjusted the side hooks and use the D-ring. The only thing I can't control is the angle on the lift. It's stretched out a bit in the rear now so i need to hem the center line this winter and take up the slack.

Talk to Cory before you do anything!!

No clue what lift you have, but every lift I've ever messed with has some adjustability.

Gonna go out on a limb here and bet you've never used or even held a Hangtyte and have no idea what you are talking about. And no, you would not find this at Lowes. And your irritation about the $40 price is an indication youve never used one, because if you had, you'd appreciate the time saved, and convienience it offers versus OEM pole and strap contraptions, huge balls or PVC riggings. These other methods certainly work, but take more time

For someone who has to cover (and not a loose draping cover under a covered boat lift just to avoid dust) at the end of every use, and rainwater pooling is a real issue, this is money very very well spent.

I suspect you have no first hand knowlege of them and rainwater pooling isnt even a concern of yours.

I'm sorry I offended your hangtyte Ryan.

Can I make it up to you?