Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Collage Daughters need better sound in my VLX

iliketoski

When wiring the amp, do you need to go all the way back to the batteries for + and - with a 4ga, or can you tap into the fuse bus at the dash? Do you have to fuse the +? I assume there is a control wire for the amp to turn on/off from the HU.

Yes, you need to go to the batteries for B+ and B-. If you have multiple amps, you can pull one run of thicker cable to a distribution block and then run from the distro block to each amp. It's cleaner that way.

• Like 1

When wiring the amp, do you need to go all the way back to the batteries for + and - with a 4ga, or can you tap into the fuse bus at the dash? Do you have to fuse the +? I assume there is a control wire for the amp to turn on/off from the HU.

Yes, there's a small gauge control wire from the amp that should go to a wire on the HU. Your power wires will be larger gauge and should go direct to the battery. I had grounding issues initially, and since I grounded all of my stereo equipment direct to the battery I have zero hum or hiss, the sound is clean. Don't forget to put a good fuse in line with the + wire, as close to the battery as possible.

liketoski - if you put a number out there, stick with it. Otherwise it's an endless thread. What is your total budget: speakers + amp + sub?

For example, I have Polk DB651 speakers in my boat and it sounds good. They are like $60/pair. I started with a budget around $500 for speakers, head unit, sub, and amp. The Crew set me up with a package, and I went with it. Ended up around $700 after I added in the wiring. But I stuck with the recommendations and it worked.

Ok, I'm getting the understanding for the sub, but I'm still liking the idea for the Towers, if nothing else, than to get the sound outside the boat, (so that people could still be in the boat). One problem we've always had is that if we crank it for outside the boat, its too loud to be anywhere in the boat.

It was too painful to read this to the end....so forgive me if someone else suggested this....

Based on your above statement,,,

you need ZONE control....

Get a Sub, get an amp and get an EQ with zone control to clean up what you have and when you save some more money for a GOOD sounding system (and good doesnt have to be LOUD, just GOOD 1st and loud 2nd) you can utilize the tower zone on your Tower speakers when you get them....

Do it right or stay out of the game...

My guess is you have not really heard a good clean system...listen with your ears, not your wallet...

and then buy what your ears want when you can afford it....otherwise, you may just be throwing your money out the window....

A number and stick with it....

After all the discussion, I'm at the point of getting the base system working optimum and build from there. With that said, I'd like to replace 4 of the 6 cabin speakers and add an amp. I'd like to accomplish this with $500. The amp I leaning toward is Polk Audio, PA D5000.5, ~$300. (I was hoping for 2-250, but that ain't happening, so is blowing my budget for speakers. I'd like to get the 4 for $300, only $100 over, but it looks like I need to be at least closer to $350. (The JL's from above would put me at 400, so I'd be a total of $700, $200 over. So I'm looking to get the speakers down to $150/pr.

Then add sub

Then add Tower

Do those 6.5's have metal grills? I keep sticking my heel through the plastic grills on my rear cabin speakers.

Rockford M262b are metal grills

m262b_01.jpg

This lists looks great, the speakers are cheaper than I expected to spend. Are these good enough? I expected at least $100 for them.

I had them in my old boat and they do well when tuned properly - for the money. If you are one a TIGHT, STRICT budget then I'd consider buying the DB651's AND this will free up the money for the Clarion EQS746. This way you can tune and have zone control in the future should you choose to add tower speakers. I've had my 746 for 2 seasons now and it has been awesome.

You can buy the speakers pictured above (stock Malibu speakers) for about $125 new. They are a small step above the 651's. The next step would be JL's Exile, Wetsounds, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351162629789?lpid=82

• Like 2

For a small step above the 651's and double the price, (and a cheese grater), I think the 651's are looking mighty attractive.

Any secret to getting the stock speakers out of the dash of a 2001 VLX?

Edited by iliketoski

Really :(, say it isn't so and there is no other way. (I have a 90 degree screw driver), do you take it apart from the sides or does it come off as a unit (split at the walkthrough)

Edited by iliketoski