Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Collage Daughters need better sound in my VLX

iliketoski

Hey, could use some advice. My college age daughters are pressuring me to add tower speakers to my Titan tower on my 2001 VLX. I'm not interested in blasting the lake, but would like to add something functional. What would be a economical direction (if there is any) to add a set of Tower Speakers, realizing, I'm also going to need to add an amp to drive them. I looked at Wet Sounds (?) they are pretty pricey.

Edited by iliketoski

I started in the same situation. I just want something that can be heard surfing, and hanging around the back of the boat.

What he said :-). Except for kneeboarding and wakeboarding, but doesn't have to blast, I realize that takes a significant investment. Would like to sound good when hanging out.

Wow, I guess I am old, $1200 seems like I would be getting something that really rocks :-). Is the Exile amp any good.

Others feedback on this package.

I just put a set of the Rockford speakers on a friends boat and they sound really good plus they don't need much of an amp. Price is definitively great and they disconnect and spin similar to samson.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/selector/marine-enclosed-speakers/m2-series

Now we are getting into my price range, what size do you get and can they be heard on the end of the rope, (at all?)

If you want to hear at the end of the rope you'll need a pair (at least) of HLCDs. Wetsounds Rev8s or Rev10s, or Exile XM7s or XM9s. And a big powerful amp to push them. It will be CRAZY loud in the boat. Crazy. And it still might not be enough to hear clearly with one pair. Before adding a second pair, if end-of-the-rope performance is paramount, I'd definitely consider a fresh air exhaust. For me it was like doubling the amp power at the end of the rope, and requires no additional speaker volume in the boat.

• Like 3

I think you would be happy with Exile sxt65q speakers ( one pair ). This is what I have and am very pleased. I originally bought two pair but after one outing of jus the one pair installed, I realized this was all I needed. They are great for just hanging around the boat and surfing but they can also be heard 70' behind. I believe Exile is having their demo sale right now. $500 a pair.

hlcds (horn loaded compression drivers) have a very powerful horn tweeter that is designed to project great distances. surf speakers have direct radiating tweeters like car speakers. Surf speakers as a general rule sound warmer near field while HLCDs are traditionally harsher. Modern HLCDs have gotten a lot better in that regard, but they still don't sound as good in the boat as the best direct radiating (surf) speakers.

• Like 2

For surfing you'd be well served by a set of Kicker KMD 6500.2 mids and horns. It requires 4 cans, but those can be found fairly cheaply new or used online. On the right amp they can even be heard while wakeboarding, but won't be as loud as a true HLCD setup like WS or Exile, etc.

But for the money, are pretty good.

Sorry, another question. Should I need to consider clearance between the cans and my Bimini? I have a "Towers Bimini", that seems to have enough space, but never measured it. Is this typically a concern, or do they mostly have enough clearance? My boat is remote from me (200 mi), and not going to be there for a couple weeks.

I'll have to check some pics to see if will answer my clearance questions.

I might as well pile on with a few more questions, my experience goes to the wayback days on installing an 8-track and cassette players :-).

So I'm planning on 2 tower cans, For cabin speakers I already have 6, 2 in the bow (facing aft), 2 in the dash and 2 in the base of the back seat facing fore. How would you connect then (considering a both a two or 4 channel amp). No sub. The bow ones don't need much volume, but thinking the 4 in the main area could use a push. But also wondering how I'd balance the system.