Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Collage Daughters need better sound in my VLX

iliketoski

Mich,

I think I'll take your advice, My cabin speakers (Alpine) are original and showing age, replace them and add a good amp and see where I'm at, maybe add a small sub. While I think the girls would like the look, I'm after function, they aren't the types to rock on the end of the rope.

Funny, I can remember the only way I got them on a kneeboard (at age 3), was to play the Beach Boys, Surfin Safari, at idle :-).

Edited by iliketoski

Mich,

I think I'll take your advice, My cabin speakers (Alpine) are original and showing age, replace them and add a good amp and see where I'm at, maybe add a small sub. While I think the girls would like the look, I'm after function, they aren't the types to rock on the end of the rope.

Funny, I can rememebr the only way I got them on a kneeboard (at age 3), was to play the Beach Boys, Surfin Safari, at idle :-)

WOAH!! MichiganBoarder does not give out stereo advice! The end must be near...

Come up with a budget $$ that you can spend, and let these guys put it together for you. Honestly, if I bought a $30k boat that needed a stereo, this would be the only place I would ask, wouldn't bother with anywhere else. FWIW, I bought my Basslink used from a Pistol Pete for I think $100, you can get them pretty cheap. Well worth it.

All of this got me changing my thinking.

I originally thought of replacing 4 of my cabin speakers, showing their age, but not blown. Then my kids suggested Tower Speakers, seemed reasonable, until I saw the price for what I thought I needed, (over $1000). Then started this thread, got it down to $500, looking good, add a small amp $200, so I was sitting at $700. Not bad, then the talk of a sub, add another 2-300.

I started thinking I could spend $500 and get a basic upgrade, now I think I'll get the base system tuned up for that, 4 new cabin speakers and an amp, then add a sub, then maybe tower. Take it in steps.

So Mich, who am I asking?

4 replacement 6-3/4 (5" cutout) and an amp (could I do this for $500). Replacing the 2 dash and 2 in the rear seat base. Planning for a sub and 2 cans later.

Edited by iliketoski

Why not as loud? They have a larger voice coil than the exile. They are a true hlcd just a component setup not a pro axial. They are the real deal hlcd wake range setup that sounds warmer near field then most any other 6.5 pro axial hlcd.

To be honest, I can't hear them at 70' nearly as well as I can hear my buddy's wetsounds HLCDs, but I don't have as much power going to them either. He also has a zone controller, whereas I don't. It's possible they are capable of better performance than I'm giving them.

I can see how the highs would be about the same, maybe better, but the size of the mid woofer is much smaller on the Kickers, especially compared to a REV10, or similar. I've no complaints with them though, I agree they sound warmer and fuller than any large can HLCD I've heard in person, and I prefer them when wakesurfing.

So Mich, who am I asking?

4 replacement 6-3/4 (5" cutout) and an amp (could I do this for $500). Replacing the 2 dash and 2 in the rear seat base. Planning for a sub and 2 cans later.

All those west coast and Texas guys. They'll chime in. I think you have a great plan now. Change your title to "College girls need a new stereo in my VLX"

I'm interested in what you get. Also, would love to see how the tower bimini looks on your VLX if you get a chance!

I'm remote from the boat, and won't be there until next weekend 10/4. I'll get you a picture.

Will likely start buying supplies to upgrade in the next week, (speakers and amp). I need a fall project.

To the OP. If you are going to buy stationary tower speakers I would make sure your bimini will cooperate.

With that said. If anyone is looking for some Titan Alpha's, look on craigslist cincinati. There is a set of four for $100. You may need to order clamps for your tower. FYI

To be honest, I can't hear them at 70' nearly as well as I can hear my buddy's wetsounds HLCDs, but I don't have as much power going to them either. He also has a zone controller, whereas I don't. It's possible they are capable of better performance than I'm giving them.

I can see how the highs would be about the same, maybe better, but the size of the mid woofer is much smaller on the Kickers, especially compared to a REV10, or similar. I've no complaints with them though, I agree they sound warmer and fuller than any large can HLCD I've heard in person, and I prefer them when wakesurfing.

There, you are comparing a 10" HLCD with a 2" voice coil with unknown wattage to either. Zone control also makes it easy to dial down in the in-boats and crank the tower zone. The Kicker also has a 6dB boost setting on the compression driver crossover for more wake range projection. Beyond 20ft, the mid-bass cone's contribution falls off, and wake range projection is dependent upon the compression driver.

Id love to know the details fo your system, to make sure you are getting the most out of it. We typically drive them with 250W rms, with is on par with many 8" HLCD setups.

Boy you ran that $200 to the limit, are there good ones that I wouldn't have to go that high? (considering you said "totally enough") :) . I'd be closer to adding the sub :thumbup:

Edited by iliketoski

prolly more amp than you are looking to power? That's just a sub amp too. Some contend that the Xi1500.1 is overrated and won't make 1500w, but even at 1000w, it's a decent value. Probably way more sub power than you "need" though.

Shawn, Saw a demo amp on exile (Xi1500.1) for $199, how would that compare with the Polk 900.5 for $209? I actually think its more power than I need.

A ".1" is mono subwoofer amp. The ".5" is a 5 chnl amp thats a hybrid with 4 full-range speaker chnls and mono subwoofer chnl all in one chassis.