Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Other?

WakingMeHappy

The new diesel's are, frankly, amazing.

Yup. My wife's diesel Touareg sounds like a gasser. That's why I'm contemplating a new Ram 3500. Love my 2006, but showing it's age lately. But, the OP isn't looking to spend a ton of $$, so a new diesel is WAY out of his budget.

• Like 1

Yup. My wife's diesel Touareg sounds like a gasser. That's why I'm contemplating a new Ram 3500. Love my 2006, but showing it's age lately. But, the OP isn't looking to spend a ton of $$, so a new diesel is WAY out of his budget.

Ya, I know they are out of budget, I was just generally pointing out that they have come a long way. In fact, my wife was concerned about getting a "rattle trap diesel," and on our first drive she just kept saying, "wow, I can't believe how quiet this is."

Ya, I know they are out of budget, I was just generally pointing out that they have come a long way. In fact, my wife was concerned about getting a "rattle trap diesel," and on our first drive she just kept saying, "wow, I can't believe how quiet this is."

Plus with the DEF and DPF, no smoke or smell. Her exhaust pipes are perfectly clean.

But, but, how are you going to cloud up that intersection like so many other drivers like to be exposed to?

Yeah, never understood how blacking out an intersection became a "cool" thing to do. That's just wasting fuel and I'm still tweaking my truck's ECU tune to make the best MPG.

Yeah, never understood how blacking out an intersection became a "cool" thing to do. That's just wasting fuel and I'm still tweaking my truck's ECU tune to make the best MPG.

Brings to mind a very childish time in my recent past when on a business trip. Three of us were heading to dinner and of course we each had our own rental. I was driving a Crown Vic (more affectionately known as The Cloud Maker), Joe on my left had a Dodge Ram with a whole engine and poor Serge behind us at the light had a POS Chevy crap box. The light was red, but then it was green and Joe and I both did a long, envigorating power brake burn. Poor Serge was still coughing at the resteraunt. Yes childish, but oh so fun.

Fastest car on the road: rental car

When you said each of you had a rental, first thing I thought of was the scene in Days of Thunder when they had a race to dinner.

Yep, just like that, only cloudier.

And high initial cost. When I bought my Ram in 09 it was between the 09 Ram and 09 Toyota, the 10K difference in what I could actually buy the truck for made the decision for me.

This is what I do. Everything will go 200k+ miles now. I stay away from anything that the magazines recommend. In fact the 'cars to avoid' list becomes my list of vehicles to look at. Prices get driven down by these reviews, use it to your advantage.

This is what I do. Everything will go 200k+ miles now. I stay away from anything that the magazines recommend. In fact the 'cars to avoid' list becomes my list of vehicles to look at. Prices get driven down by these reviews, use it to your advantage.

Oh reeeeeally...

2001PontiacAztek.jpg

135k on my '06 Titan and love it. No rust anywhere other than the trailer hitch. Only problems have been two front wheel bearings and a variable blower motor resistor. Bearings done under warranty and resistor was $40.

Here's what confuses me about the Avalanche. From 08-11 there were 92,038 sold compared to the Tundra which sold 392,851. That's a huge difference. I'm in a toss up over the two. All the reviews on both trucks a really good. So why were the Avalanche sales so poor?

Here's what confuses me about the Avalanche. From 08-11 there were 92,038 sold compared to the Tundra which sold 392,851. That's a huge difference. I'm in a toss up over the two. All the reviews on both trucks a really good. So why were the Avalanche sales so poor?

You are comparing apples to oranges. how many silverados were sold during that time period? Avalanche is more of a niche truck. It only appears to a certain buyer. It doesn't fit my needs as a truck owner, but the people that own them seem to like them. Buy whichever vehicle best suits your needs.