Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Other?

WakingMeHappy

I'm still on the replacement car search and am now leaning toward a new truck (2004-2007). The plan was to sell the Suburban and buy a small car for my daughters to drive. I am now thinking about letting them drive my Dodge Dakota and getting a bigger truck for myself.

Please do not make this a debate on one brand or the other sucks.

I'm wanting to know what truck I should buy for myself. I would like either four doors or the half size back doors just so there is enough leg room for my girls. Four wheel drive is not necessary but would be OK. I am not loyal to any make or model so I'm open to all options. This will be my daily ride as well as the tow vehicle for the boat.

2004-2006 Tundra Gen 1's with the 4.7 and virtually bulletproof! You should be able to pick one up for under $15k easily and get the double cab (4 full sized doors). It will tow the LXi with no problems as I towed my old LXi with my 06 DC 4wd up in the Arkansas hills fairly easily.

I own a 13' F150.

However even being a Ford guy, I would not buy that year range of F150. There were engine issues that I know personally. Also 2 of my friends with F150's had issues as well.

I own a 13' F150.

However even being a Ford guy, I would not buy that year range of F150. There were engine issues that I know personally. Also 2 of my friends with F150's had issues as well.

Weren't the engine issues mainly blowing spark plugs out of the head?

Weren't the engine issues mainly blowing spark plugs out of the head?

And exhaust manifold issues that pretty much require taking the engine out to replace(05-0?). I think the blowing spark plugs out is more the 99-04 thing, and breaking them off while trying to replace them is more of an issue with the 05-07 range. Ford seems to have engine issues, Dodge has always had tranny issues, Nissan has axle issues, GM and Toyota have rust issues, but in reality they all seem to have rust issues, (for us guys up north anyhow) in that year era (back to 00-01 it seems actually when it started to be real bad), I think when buying a used car someone really needs to do their homework and try to find the previous owner of the truck to talk to and see how he kept care of it, just like buying a boat! Some people NEVER wash a vehicle allowing years of saltsand or whatever to sit in the frame rails/undercarriage which can easily be missed after being sprayed with undercoating.

I would find something you like the looks of and do your homework on it, if it seems to have had a good previous owner, then give it another.

And exhaust manifold issues that pretty much require taking the engine out to replace(05-0?). I think the blowing spark plugs out is more the 99-04 thing, and breaking them off while trying to replace them is more of an issue with the 05-07 range. Ford seems to have engine issues, Dodge has always had tranny issues, Nissan has axle issues, GM and Toyota have rust issues, but in reality they all seem to have rust issues, (for us guys up north anyhow) in that year era (back to 00-01 it seems actually when it started to be real bad), I think when buying a used car someone really needs to do their homework and try to find the previous owner of the truck to talk to and see how he kept care of it, just like buying a boat! Some people NEVER wash a vehicle allowing years of saltsand or whatever to sit in the frame rails/undercarriage which can easily be missed after being sprayed with undercoating.

I would find something you like the looks of and do your homework on it, if it seems to have had a good previous owner, then give it another.

I never wash my trucks in the winter - actually helps them rust less if you just leave all the crap on there and stop reactivating it with water.

I thought the Ford plug issues were with the 4 valve engines, I had a 2002 or 2003? and I know that one wasn't one that had the issue.

Edited by oldjeep

Budget? In that year range I would get an 06-07 duramax. The lbz didnt have the injector issues the earlier engines had and doesn't have all the emissions crap that came out in 2008. That's what I was looking for before I bought an 11 ram. I also really like the tundras, they hold their value well and seem to be a great truck. Plus Toyota stands behind their product.

Edit: mi grammar suct.

Edited by Pnwrider

I have a 2005 Duramax and the thing has been bullet proof. Other than changing out the water pump at 120k, no other issues. I have 170k on it now and still have the original rotors and brake pads. I've used to to tow, 30' Chaparral's and Robalo's as well as the malibus and never an issue. Also towed a 32' 5th wheel and it handled it with power to spare.I'm a Chevy guy, my only complaint is Chevy's seem to lack back room space. Not an issue for the driver though :biggrin:

As a commuter car, depending on how far you travel can make an issue. My commute is 104 miles a day round trip, so i park the durmax now. when it was only 30, not so bad

Edited by wakebrdr94

The 2V 5.4 had issues with extended threads on the spark plugs. If the plugs fouled and you backed them out, it would rip up the aluminum threads in the heads. Two of the cylinders only had three threads to begin with holding the plugs. Those would be ground up and then very little held the plug in.

The 3V 5.4 went to an elongated electrode. Again, it would foul around the electrode and it would break off in the head when backing them out. Ford made an actual extraction tool to remove the electrode, but there "wasn't a problem".

Two different problems on two crappy designs.

That year range, I'd say GM or Toyota. GM will probably give you a bit more power though. But if you could get a well taken care of Titan, I wouldn't run from that.

The 2V 5.4 had issues with extended threads on the spark plugs. If the plugs fouled and you backed them out, it would rip up the aluminum threads in the heads. Two of the cylinders only had three threads to begin with holding the plugs. Those would be ground up and then very little held the plug in.

The 3V 5.4 went to an elongated electrode. Again, it would foul around the electrode and it would break off in the head when backing them out. Ford made an actual extraction tool to remove the electrode, but there "wasn't a problem".

That year range, I'd say GM or Toyota. GM will probably give you a bit more power though. But if you could get a well taken care of Titan, I wouldn't run from that.

Titan is a good truck. They had some kinks the first year, so 05-07 would be a good bet. 07 Tundra would also be a good bet.

My 2V 5.4L 120k no problems for me. I changed the plugs at 95k no issues. As with most anything how did the owner take care of it.

Its still going but I don't have a clue what the odometer is reading. The second owner even used it to plow for a small landscaping co.

I do know people did have problems taking out old plugs but many do not use any care doing it.

Before selecting the "club cab" vs. "crew cab", have the girls get in and ride back there. There is a significant loss of leg room in the chevy / gmc versions - about 6" between the two. I prefer the crew cab because the back seat is comfortable for adults. it also gives me more room to slide the seat back and relax on a long drive with our crushing knees of the person sitting behind me.

These are GM comments, I assume the same in others as well.

I never wash my trucks in the winter - actually helps them rust less if you just leave all the crap on there and stop reactivating it with water.

I thought the Ford plug issues were with the 4 valve engines, I had a 2002 or 2003? and I know that one wasn't one that had the issue.

Not gona convince me of that, :biggrin: I have a 99 GMC old style with 240,000 miles on it thats my personal driver that still has the original rear brake lines and the frame looks great, I have had a few same era trucks I have bought and used for plow trucks that always need brake lines and the frame ends up breaking. The personal truck get used and washed alot in the winter, the plow trucks get used alot in the winter and not washed untill spring!! A friend of mine washes his 2011 truck very often and it looks new still, we see others that look like the frame is 10 years old.

That era had plugs blow out.

Great info

Edited by mainekneeboarder

No garage queen, it sits outside in the downeast salt air ;) . I have lived 12 miles from work the last three years, before that it was 6 miles, plus I usually have 2 trucks, three trucks for the last two years. Most trucks around here don't make it to 150,000 before they fall apart from rust. I did just pick up a 2000 old style 1 ton for a plow truck last year with only 113,000.

Those years probably a Chevy would be my pick. I know quite a few people with 2000-2005 suburbans/tahoes/silverados/avalanches and with the exception of one guy needing a trans at 160k they've all been damn reliable.

So far all this has convinced me I should buy whatever I am comfortable with and can afford. I would think that at the age of truck I'm looking at the factory issues will be worked out at this point.

Edited by WakingMeHappy
  • Like 1

I had an 05 Tahoe Z71 5.3L. On one of our -20 degree days last winter I put it in reverse and she clunked. Trans rebuilt at 140k but otherwise pretty damn reliable. A few sensors here and there changed. The Z71's had these painted bumpers and they were notorious for rusting. I don't think I ever saw one around here that didn't have a rusted front bumper. It would barely pull the LSV; your boat is quite a bit lighter.

Regardless of brand, as stated before, sit in the extended cabs and crew cabs. We've owned both and one thing I really didn't like about the extended cabs was the "suicide" style rear doors. It made loading and unloading in parking lots very tight. Essentially, once both the front and rear doors are open, you are trapped between them. My dad had an 06 Ram 1500. We never were too impressed with it - the tranny was always searching for the right gear and the computer left him dead on the side of the road on a long trip to Colorado. I suppose those are minor issues in the grand scheme of things (he did get 10+ years of use from it), but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Diesel is out. Too noisy and I can't stand the smell.

Wow, please don't tell me you are one of those people. The diesels from 2004-2007 are pretty quiet and burn the diesel more completely, which means less smell. My 2006 Ram is only "loud" because the previous owner put a 5" exhaust on it. It doesn't have the diesel rattle that the older generations have because of the common rail setup.