Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Other?

WakingMeHappy

I don't know. My neighbor has an 05 Ford Powerstroke. It is stock, but I know when he comes and goes. And if left idling in his driveway for more than a few minutes, it smells like an oil furnace outside. I've noticed the Duramax and Dodges are a little quieter but noticeable.

Wow, please don't tell me you are one of those people.

Yes. I'm one of them. And I stand behind that. Most diesels I come across are loud and smell.

PS: I also used to smoke and now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. So you're right. I am one of "those people".

PS: I also used to smoke and now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. So you're right. I am one of "those people".

Ahhhhh, that changes things. Many ex-smokers have a heightened sense of smell.

Plus, many of the 2004-2007 trucks that are diesel are now owned by the diesel version of lake lice (those a-holes who want to black out an intersection because they think it looks cool). Mine is tuned to produce as little smoke as possible, and only loud when under plenty of throttle. Yeah, it smells a little, but the better the tune and burn, the less it stinks.

• Like 1

I think the best deal out there right now would be a 5.7 Tundra with 120k+ miles on it. Good for another 250k.

I have a 2010 and have ran that truck thru heal and back with 7-10k pound loads. 85k miles.... Not a single defect, issue or warranty item other than some corrosion on the battery terminals.

17mpg highway

13mpg city

7-9mpg towing 7-9k lbs

I think the best deal out there right now would be a 5.7 Tundra with 120k+ miles on it. Good for another 250k.

I have a 2010 and have ran that truck thru heal and back with 7-10k pound loads. 85k miles.... Not a single defect, issue or warranty item other than some corrosion on the battery terminals.

17mpg highway

13mpg city

7-9mpg towing 7-9k lbs

07 Tundra 185k only problem to date was alternator went out at 170k. Replaced the battery just cuz, but it was still good.

I have not looked to the Tundra at all but it sounds like I should.

2006 and below are Gen 1 Tundra's with the V8 being a 4.7l

2007 and up to 2013 are Gen 2 with the big V8 being a 5.7l (they still offer the smaller V8 but really no gas savings so might as well get the 5.7)

The Gen 1 is a great size truck and will pull your boat fine. I loved the size of my old one for daily driving and had a good bit of room in the back seat with the Double Cab, it just struggled some pulling my VLX in the Arkansas hills. It made it but I would have to get a running start and then it would shift down to 3rd going up some of the hills.

The Gen 2 I have now has plenty of power to get up the same hills, but it is definitely a bigger truck. My kids love how much room is in the back seats in the Crew Max, plus they can recline them to get comfortable for a nap on the road trips (which I thoroughly enjoy!).

Chevy crew cab 2500 HD with 6.0 gas engine and 4L80 trans, had one and still miss it. I buy at least one new vehicle every year, tried all brands and have likes and dislikes with all. That was by far the best truck I have ever owned. It is still running around town with over 300k on it.

Edited by MLBurns

The reviews on the Tundra are very good but the price tag for a 2007 is up there.

The bad thing about most Toyotas is high resale value. It is nice when you are selling though.

Chevy crew cab 2500 HD with 6.0 gas engine and 4L80 trans, had one and still miss it. I buy at least one new vehicle every year, tried all brands and have likes and dislikes with all. That was by far the best truck I have ever owned. It is still running around town with over 300k on it.

+1 best vehicle I ever owned

The bad thing about most Toyotas is high resale value. It is nice when you are selling though.

And high initial cost. When I bought my Ram in 09 it was between the 09 Ram and 09 Toyota, the 10K difference in what I could actually buy the truck for made the decision for me.

I used to think I couldn't stand the smell, either. Then I bought a Kubota tractor. The smell can actually grow on you....

....and stick around for everyone else to smell as well. ;-)

At this point I'm thinking of holding off till next spring. Unless the right truck just "appears" I can wait. I can go a good bit higher on what I planned to spend but I don't want to. And I don't do loans. So, I may wait till spring when I put the Bu for sale. PS: there will be a 99 Sunsetter lxi on the market in about 6-8 months.

So far all this has convinced me I should buy whatever I am comfortable with and can afford. I would think that at the age of truck I'm looking at the factory issues will be worked out at this point.

If you do any amount of research you'll find "known" issues for each one of these trucks. Just get what you like assuming its been maintained.

Ahhhhh, that changes things. Many ex-smokers have a heightened sense of smell.

Plus, many of the 2004-2007 trucks that are diesel are now owned by the diesel version of lake lice (those a-holes who want to black out an intersection because they think it looks cool). Mine is tuned to produce as little smoke as possible, and only loud when under plenty of throttle. Yeah, it smells a little, but the better the tune and burn, the less it stinks.

My 2013 Duramax is noticeably quieter than my 2010 2500HD with the 6.0l gasser was, both inside and out. Especially when towing and running down the highway. The only exception might be in the initial startup. Maybe. The new diesel's are, frankly, amazing.