Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any idea what this jelly type substance is that plugged my carb?

It could be just me, but since I've found a convenient source for non ethanol fuel, my boat hasn't hesitated to start once. It sounds better, smells better, and runs better. Most likely has more to do with cooler temperatures, but I'm going with it. It's a little more expensive but I can offset that, and I'm against the idea of burning food for fuel anyway so I'll keep putting my money where it makes more sense.

Would there be any benefit to shutting the fuel off and running the engine until it starves out when done for a few days?

People do it with bikes. Maybe fog the carb too if you do that.

Just google ethanol phase separation/ Plenty of images articles. Ive got a chain saw, pressure washer and leaf blower that all need the carbs taken apart due to ethanol.

313060_orig.jpg

I do not believe this picture has anything to do with ethanol. This is oxidized fuel. Yes, there is particulate fall out. It can happen with ethanol or non-ethanol. The issue with storing ethanol is that it readily absorbs water.

@glp86: it appears to be the long term degradation of fuel, actually any fuel ethanol tainted or not. What is happening is the lighter hydrocarbons are evaporating and over time will leave just the very heavy ones, and in that case, jelly. Debris and some other contaminants like rubber are mixed in adding to the deterioration and formation of the gel. Fuels can last a long time sealed, but not open to the atmosphere. The higher altitudes and drier air of Colorado probably don't help either. That gel is probably not from any gas from the last 1-3 years but an accumulation from earlier that got broken free as you maintained various parts of your vessel. A carb rebuild is in order and should return your boat to good running order.

When I saw the gel, my first guess was that it was old varnish from somewhere in the system. Oldjeep guessed fuel line degredation.

If I were glp86, I'd see if the gel is soluble with spray carb cleaner. If so, hit the carb jets with the straw at the end of each outing.

It could be just me, but since I've found a convenient source for non ethanol fuel, my boat hasn't hesitated to start once. It sounds better, smells better, and runs better. Most likely has more to do with cooler temperatures, but I'm going with it. It's a little more expensive but I can offset that, and I'm against the idea of burning food for fuel anyway so I'll keep putting my money where it makes more sense.

If you have a carb, what you might be noticing is that your boat runs a little lean on E10. The factory mixture adjustment on my old carbureted Bayliner was pretty lean from the factory and made it harder to start then it should have been - mixture tweak and all was well. One of the things you do need to do with carbureted engines of any kind is to richen the mixture up a little for best performance with E10.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

@Bozboat: Your idea is sound for long term storage, a few days won't hurt anything. Carbs should be drained for long term storage, the other option is to make sure you do the proper Stabil treatment & procedure. The water absorption aspect of ethanol blended fuels can/will cause corrosion if left for long periods of time. Gasoline turns to varnish or jelly at a much slower rate than liquids such as acetone, paint thinner, mineral spirits and will survive just fine when in a sealed container.

• 6 years later...
6 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

Well, that's the most confusing first post I have seen in the 13 years I have been on here!

Someone translate!

6 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I "think" it was a joke:  1-800-Ask-@JustGary

I thought maybe so, but who would join TMC just to dig up a six year old thread and use that reply as their first post?

Battled this problem on 2 different older boats. What i found is in the fuel tank, there is a fine mesh screen on end of suction line and above it is a antisiphon valve mounted in the top tank fitting elbow. Between these 2 points was packed almost solid old fuel gel like you are finding. 
What i did to eliminate the blockages was to remove the screen permanently, and replace the siphon valve with the idea it would be a source of possible future blockage. Also i replace the water fuel separator filter annually. So far, so good after many years now. Assuming it will return, but know what to do about it.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

How long gasoline lasts without forming gel with depend on your climate, in drier climates where condensation is low the gas will keep longer. Indoor storage also can help if the temperature is controlled to lesson condensation. Once Ethanol absorbs all the water it can hold it forms a gel.

I’m in the humid hot south East US. I don’t like ethanol fuel in my lawn tools or other toys but when I did use it, I never had any issues with the gel. I have seen rubber hose “dust” off from the inside though. My dad claims to have seen a gel in a generator fuel tank. I did not see it however. I wonder if the gel could be caused by maybe a foam sock on a fuel pickup? Or maybe it was in the fuel storage tank at a gas station and got pumped into the boat or fuel can and transferred to whatever? Maybe it’s a customer installed fuel additive that has issues? Maybe I just wanted to add to this old thread, I don’t know.