Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any idea what this jelly type substance is that plugged my carb?

Long story short...

1994 Sunnsetter w/ 350 Mag Ski

Rebuilt carb in June, around 10 hrs of trouble free run time since then until:

A few weeks ago the engine bogged and died while pulling a skier. Thought there was a fuel delivery problem so tried a liberal amount of starter fluid but the motor would never fire. Got towed to the ramp. Once home the boat started and ran in the driveway... I was confused. Replaced the fuel pump because I had been suspicious of it for awhile even though this was a no spark issue.

Next time out the boat wouldn't start on the ramp. Found the coil wire to be broken. Replaced coil wire. Boat still wouldn't start at the ramp. Take it home and it runs in the driveway... I'm even more confused.

Replace all plug wires (plugs replaced a month prior), along with the cap and rotor. Starts and runs in the driveway. Go to the lake and motor is running but seeming to lack power a high RPM's. Next day take it to the ramp and it will start but won't stay running for more than a few seconds. Take it home and remove the fuel filter which I had added a few years ago before the water separator (separator replaced at start of this season). Motor seems to be running fine now.

Take to the ramp a week later and boat will start every time but will only stay running when feathering the throttle. Dies immediately at idle. Take it home, same issue in the driveway.

I decide to pull the carb apart again and I find this jelly type substance with some grit (dirt?) at the fuel screen inlet and all throughout the carb. None in metal fuel line from pump to carb. Any idea what it is? Would starting fluid cause the fuel to gum up?

Starting fluid ingredients: Diethyl Ether, Heptane, Propane, Iso-Butane, and Carbon Dioxide.

IMG_1590_zps66af7f32.jpg

IMG_1593_zpsec5da2e4.jpg

Edited by glp86

I'm not buying the "its ethanol" thing. Now it could be some non alcohol safe plastic or rubber that used to be in your fuel system, or it could be that it just cleaned all the accumulated crap out of your fuel system but ethanol does not do that on its own.

If you have a fiberglass fuel tank, or you are still running 20 year old (non ethanol safe) fuel lines then those would be the first things to check. Next thing to check would be your water separating fuel filter, if you don't have one then take a sample of your fuel from the sender hole and see if you have a bunch of water in there.

We have had E10 here in MN for 20 years and the only E10 related issues you ever hear of are when someone starts using it in an old vehicle that never used it before. The idea that something like that happens after E10 sits for a few months is nonsense - I've got 100 gallons + of E10 sitting in seasonal vehicles for 6 months at a time.

Edited by oldjeep

I have an equal problem with starter fluid - I don't understand why the stuff exists. If the motor won't start on it's own...doesn't it make sense there is another issue that starter fluid could be left at home?

Hum... The gas tank is plastic and the rubber fuel lines are only a couple years old. The boat was in storage for a year prior to this season with some fuel sitting in the tank without any stabil. I have prob been through 3 tanks before this happened. Guess I can pop the top on the tank and take a look inside.

There isn't any water in the fuel seperator, I had that off last week and emptied it out just to be sure.

I have an equal problem with starter fluid - I don't understand why the stuff exists. If the motor won't start on it's own...doesn't it make sense there is another issue that starter fluid could be left at home?

A little starter fluid helps me to get fuel back in the lines quickly after the boat has sat for awhile instead of cranking the motor a lot. That's why I keep it on board.

Starting fluid induced into the intake/carb throttle body, would not cause an issue internally of the carb's fuel chambers. What I see in the pic, looks like fuel phasing, which is a side effect of ethanol fuel.

I'm not buying the "its ethanol" thing. Now it could be some non alcohol safe plastic or rubber that used to be in your fuel system, or it could be that it just cleaned all the accumulated crap out of your fuel system but ethanol does not do that on its own.

If you have a fiberglass fuel tank, or you are still running 20 year old (non ethanol safe) fuel lines then those would be the first things to check. Next thing to check would be your water separating fuel filter, if you don't have one then take a sample of your fuel from the sender hole and see if you have a bunch of water in there.

We have had E10 here in MN for 20 years and the only E10 related issues you ever hear of are when someone starts using it in an old vehicle that never used it before. The idea that something like that happens after E10 sits for a few months is nonsense - I've got 100 gallons + of E10 sitting in seasonal vehicles for 6 months at a time.

Fill a jar with ethanol gas, top on, let it sit....you'll see.....

Edited by malibuparadise

I've got a 50 gallon tank of it, is that good enough?

Sure but better to use that for fun and instead use a little jar (it takes a few months)... lol

Sure but better to use that for fun and instead use a little jar (it takes a few months)... lol

Well, I've got 3 snowmobiles that have been sitting since March that I need to fire up next month. Must have 40+ gallons there ;) But in all seriousness, everything we own runs on E10 (cars, boats, sleds, chainsaw, mowers, weedeaters, pressure washer, etc) and half of it sits unused for 6+ months a year. I've never had any fuel issues, don't dump stabil or any other snake oil in the gas. E10 has been pretty much all you can get here for 20+ years, so I'm not buying the Ethanol bogyman except as it relates to some of the things that happen if your fuel system is already full of crud or if you are buying gas that is already full of water.

Edited by oldjeep

Everyone I know is lucky too ;)

Obviously not considering thread inputs, but whatever ;-) What is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander...

Years ago it would have been bad gas that sat to long, now it is ethanol. Either way the issue has been around as long as the internal combustion started burning dinojuice. Cornjuice is just the recent boogie man......

@glp86: it appears to be the long term degradation of fuel, actually any fuel ethanol tainted or not. What is happening is the lighter hydrocarbons are evaporating and over time will leave just the very heavy ones, and in that case, jelly. Debris and some other contaminants like rubber are mixed in adding to the deterioration and formation of the gel. Fuels can last a long time sealed, but not open to the atmosphere. The higher altitudes and drier air of Colorado probably don't help either. That gel is probably not from any gas from the last 1-3 years but an accumulation from earlier that got broken free as you maintained various parts of your vessel. A carb rebuild is in order and should return your boat to good running order.

Thanks Woodski. I went through the carb last night and cleaned all the goo out. I'm scared to fire the boat up again though without finding the source of this build up for fear of this just happening again. The fuel in the tank isn't more than a few weeks old... I think I'm going to slide the fuel tank forward and pull the suction strainer to see if it's covered in goo as well.

Thanks Woodski. I went through the carb last night and cleaned all the goo out. I'm scared to fire the boat up again though without finding the source of this build up for fear of this just happening again. The fuel in the tank isn't more than a few weeks old... I think I'm going to slide the fuel tank forward and pull the suction strainer to see if it's covered in goo as well.

It seems odd that goo of that viscosity would be making it through the fuel filters. You said that you dumped out the water separating filter - when was the last time that you changed it?

I'm not sure how people are not having a problem, but I will say I had to have the carbs rebuilt on my CBR twice. The first time was because I hadn't rode the bike in a while and wasn't sure what was wrong. The second was because I hadn't rode the bike in a while and screwed myself. Both times, it was the Ethanol fuel gelling up. The mechanic showed it to me. I also had a bunch or work done on my Supra's fuel system because of the same thing.

I cannot attest to the E10 not causing any problems, but I can preach all day about the issues I have had with it.

The mechanic also said that the fuel breaks down in the carb faster than in the tank. I forget why, but he explained it to me. I was too busy kicking myself while paying the $800.00 bill.

Either way, good luck. If you figure it out, please let us know!

Maybe you could take that goo to your local service station / mechanic. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

Question.... I had heard about the effects of Ethanol but was told that if the gas sits then damage could occur. Since then I have been using regular gas with ethanol during the months that I use the boat a lot, using the gas daily. I usually use ethanol free when the season slows and then fill the tank with ethanol free during winter storage. Is there a better way to store the boat... am I using reasonable logic doing it the way I have been?

I think you should be good. That is why the Ethanol doesn't mess up cars like it does boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. Cars go through the gas before it has a chance breakdown. It sounds like you are going through the gas in the boat faster than it can breakdown, so it should be good.