Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What stereo improvements can i make on a limited budget?

mtnbkr738

Ok, don't laugh. I realize this forum has some pretty techie audio geeks

and some of you have deep pockets...LOL.

My stereo setup is lame...at best... but i want to make some small steps

in the right direction....slowly improving my sound system.

So Im looking for practical suggestions of what i can do on a budget. I don't

know anything really about audio for boats...so any help is greatly appreciated.

What i have: CD player, Amp, Speakers on my tower....see pics.

Change that I need to make: I need to get a bluetooth receiver so i can play from my iphone, and get some bass....my system just doesn't have any guts. So what receiver is a good start...and what new speakers are a good replacement....and what about the amp? keep or upgrade?

again, any help is greatly appreciated. !!!!!

8ef7288c9dd8579cb32f806fc177cde5_zps7194

6e8d990a9e558eecaeea1a7e676f98d9_zps5533

46d45fae7da11b3cc9c857a0af4c3f93_zps2348

Edited by mtnbkr738

I scrolled down until I saw the tower speaker and said "Holy s***" out loud thinking it was a subwoofer... burst out laughing with sky skier's comment.

What size are the pipes on that tower" (diameter) I might have some nicer stuff I would give away if you paid shipping.

I understand the tight budget, so Seriously to answer your question:

Bluetooth: they make bluetooth receiver ad-ons that would work for any stereo and work through the CD Deck input. They are usually under $40 and there are plenty of forum posts about it... I did a quick search and found a link with many people recommending this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bluetooth-Audio-Music-Streaming-Receiver-Adapter-Handfree-3-5-mm-Output-/201070524778?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item2ed0bcb96a

Adding Bass: I have the bass receiver that was on my boat prior to my upgrade. You can have it for free if you want to pay shipping. Otherwise, I recommend just finding a cheap amp/sub setup off Craigslist. I know its not 'marine grade' but its probably so cheap that who cares? How often does water actually get in that compartment and get things wet? You'll need to buy a 'crossover' in order to use the amp (for tower speakers) and a second amp (for the subwoofer) so again, find a cheap one on craigslist or ebay used.

Tower Speakers: Figure out the diameter size of your tower and I'll let you know if my old cans work... otherwise these are what I got, but they aren't cheap! http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-BULSPPD225-BK (I actually got the double version of these - they are awesome) - actually try ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-In-Box-Polk-Audio-Aerial-Wakeboard-Tower-Speakers-2-Single-Bullet-/281430210313?pt=US_Marine_Audio&hash=item41868c3709

Speakers: I have been using these speakers (Polk Audio DB651) but they are relatively pricey compared to free/used stuff and are the same speakers from the cans I recommended above. They come in a slim version which is slightly less expensive... just check Amazon

Seriously if I was you, I would start over completely. If that isn't an option, focus on used stuff. If it plays sound ok for much less $$, great. My total setup ran me around $1,000 for all decks/amps/crossovers/speakers and I don't see why it would make sense to spend $5k for the little difference it would make... (although I could be horribly mistaken)

On a side note: If your time is valuable, it makes no sense to put in used stuff, since rewiring (because your boat is a 98, all the wires are probably corroded) and installing fuses, switches, etc is probably going to take a lot longer than you expect... so you want to make sure its worth while for the upgrade!

**Edit - added Ebay link - it turns out Ebay has tons of used/cheap tower speakers. You could probably do your whole set up for a lot less than I thought.

Edited by jonredcorn

Infiniti has that nice small sub package you can typically find on ebay often. $1-150 bucks used. If you don't plan to listen to the radio or CD's, dump the head unit and get the equalizer that you can plug your ipodaphonasaurus into for music.

What is your budget? Do you have an amount in mind? I'm not a stereo guy but these guys set up a system for me last year when I gave them a budget and told them what I wanted to do. Great knowledge here and it is very sound (hehehe).

I put about $600 into my stereo last season to just boost it a little bit, new head unit and amp. Figured I wait to see what it needed next, speakers, sub, etc??? I used the stereo twice this summer, both times my family said turn it down. I'm not wasting any more money.

Change that I need to make: I need to get a bluetooth receiver so i can play from my iphone, and get some bass....my system just doesn't have any guts. So what receiver is a good start...and what new speakers are a good replacement....and what about the amp? keep or upgrade?

So it looks like the 2 main areas that need attention right now, is adding BT and a sub.

If your current head-unit functions fine in every other way, then keep it. It has a rear AUX input, which is all thats needed to connect an aftermarket BT receiver. this will free up some budget to apply elsewhere.

For the sub, I would highly consider going with mild 12" sub and amp, and building a custom enclosure. 400W rms setup would not be over the top in cost and would go along way. By the looks of it, im guessing that the only amp is that 2 chnl in the pic and its driving the tower speakers? If so, that this opportunity to amplify the in-boats as well. A nice 5 chnl amp will drive the sub and your in-boats.

Next, I would address the tower setup, and lastly, the in-boats, providing they are still ok. Your choice in tower speakers, will dictate whether or not that amp needs replacing as well. There are plenty of quality built marine in-boat speakers. If you can get a demo, that would be the ideal route. Go with the ones that fit the budget and sound good and look good.

ok...glad i could provide laughs for everyone on the malibu forum :) Was this setup ever awesome???? like back in 1998? LOL

thx everyone for the help BTW

1) Tube diam. for the tower is 1 3/4

2) Jonredcorn...let me know what you have... thx for the kind offer...you can PM me if you want to on that.

3) budget...$500 ( i know...its low...dont laugh) LOL

4) boat speakers seem ok...they arent blown sounding

5) im thinking to get a new receiver with BT built in.. i have an external one on my car and its battery always dies, and has to randomly be paired etc etc.

6) I agree with redoing the wiring...and im comfortable with that..no prob in the off season.

7) i don listen to radio or cds...so open to options there for the receiver.

8) Question...about the subs...WHERE do those go?

BOTTOM LINE: would any of you send me a "shopping list" of everything you would get for that budget....again...im a novice in audio...so a suggestion to just "go buy an amp" still leaves me clueless as to where to even start.

thx again everyone.. looking forward to selling those square tower speakers to a museum!

I have a working mono sub amp 500w at 2 ohm that I am pulling out of my boat as I am upgrading to a used amp I bought from a crew member that upgraded, call this Trickle Down Electronics, you can have it for shipping.

• Like 3

start with this and build from here....and skip the head unit all together since you said this....7) i don listen to radio or cds...so open to options there for the receiver.

Wet Sounds WS-420BT $399.99
( WS420BT )

cartimage_lg.jpg

you can make everything you have perhaps sound a little better and as you save more of your pennies for the rest of your system, you will be able to control everything

this plus the Free stuff you are being offered should get you going,....

FORGET your idea thinking your need a new head unit....just throw out your old one and do not wast money on a new one!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

HEY BOZBOAT came through and hooked me up with the amp--- just so everyone knows. LOL

BTW Anyone have any drivers or subs that they are wanting to unload--please let me know...beggars aren't choosers... :)

thx again BOZBOAT!!!

Step:

#1 - Remove those tower speakers and promptly place them in the dumpster. I'd rather have nothing up there personally than have those hanging off the tower. Yikes.

#2 - With your budget, a Wet Sounds EQ would be a stupid way to spend your money. Keep the head unit (again, you are on a tight budget) and add a good Bluetooth receiver. This is what I use in my work car, have had it for years, use it 5 days a week, no pairing issues ever: http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-FlexSMART-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free/dp/B000FV8P24/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1412441374&sr=8-12&keywords=groove+bluetooth

$48 shipped, doesn't eat the battery (I've left it plugged in while I'm on vacation and battery is still good weeks later). There are other good ones out there too, but this is just one example. Can be hard wired as well to the phone and head unit, so you don't have to use the FM transmitter.

#3: You are on a budget - get this sub: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Basslink-200-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B000063TJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412441464&sr=8-1&keywords=basslink

$173 shipped, easy to wire up. It won't thump your boat, but will fill the bottom end in nicely and you aren't going to find a better bang for the buck setup out there.

#4: Get that poor head unit out from under that arm rest and put it under the dash.

#5: After the wiring, $15 Metra kit for the underdash mount, and the above linked components, you'll have a good $200-225 to spare in your budget. Upgrade your in-boat speakers if they suck/shot and get those speakers on your existing amp.

Later on you can spend some money on towers. Shop used. If you are given a freebie amp that is good enough and can keep your inboats, find some decent used towers for $200 and you'll have your budget system rounded out.

hey nitrousbird

thx for the TODO list...it makes sense (to a non techy guy like me)

#1- DONE!! LOL..it felt good to ditch those things.

#2 Im going to look for a cheap head unit w BTooth...seems like i saw some for $70ish

#3 I do a have a SOUND ORDINANCE M-1500 sub amp that BoxBoat gave me..so...what sub speaker would you recommend?

#4 i agree!

#5 - What specs should i look for in tower speakers...or replacing the ones on the boat...(ones on boat are factory...not blown and sound ok for cheap speakers)--im sure there are cheap ones and good ones...any suggestions??

thx again!

Edited by mtnbkr738

I have a working mono sub amp 500w at 2 ohm that I am pulling out of my boat as I am upgrading to a used amp I bought from a crew member that upgraded, call this Trickle Down Electronics, you can have it for shipping.

Edited by Malibudude
Reported inappropriate image

I am in the same situation as you, wanting a stereo upgrade for a very limited budget... I just ordered these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AERIAL-BULLET-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-WITH-LIGHT-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-/311097785959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486edf7e67

They are the cheapest tower speakers I found with a reasonnable quality, the goal is to hopefully hear some music while surfing but mostly when swimming around the boat.

I'll add a pair of polk db651 and a pair of polk db691 to replace my current in-boats, and add an amp to help drive that. The sub will be a later add-on.

I'm keeping my infinity head unit, it does the job and I plugged a 20$ bluetooth receiver in the aux input, so everything is controlled from the iphone.

Total cost, 500$ + wiring, so hopefully not over 600$, plus the sub when time comes.

I am in the same situation as you, wanting a stereo upgrade for a very limited budget... I just ordered these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AERIAL-BULLET-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-WITH-LIGHT-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-/311097785959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486edf7e67

They are the cheapest tower speakers I found with a reasonnable quality, the goal is to hopefully hear some music while surfing but mostly when swimming around the boat.

I'll add a pair of polk db651 and a pair of polk db691 to replace my current in-boats, and add an amp to help drive that. The sub will be a later add-on.

I'm keeping my infinity head unit, it does the job and I plugged a 20$ bluetooth receiver in the aux input, so everything is controlled from the iphone.

Total cost, 500$ + wiring, so hopefully not over 600$, plus the sub when time comes.

Let me know how those tower speakers turn out

Let me know how those tower speakers turn out

Will do but i hope you're patient, the boat is stored in the garage for the winter, we never know when snow is going to show up over here [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. I'm collecting parts over the winter for my LSV so I'm in no hurry either.

So i got my tower speakers (link above, Polk db651 in cans from Aerial).

The boat is stored for the winter but i had to try them, so i wired them in series to a home Amp that can handle 8-16ohms.

Well i have to say they sound pretty awesome! Of course i don't have an amp in my boat and i'm rocking 4 older in-boat infinity from the head unit so this is a solid upgrade!

Couldn't be happier about that purchase, especially at that price. I haven't had a chance to try the lights in the cans but I will when i get the chance.

If you're looking at getting a first pair of tower speakers with a limited budget, i strongly suggest these !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

OK, Im SLOWLY working on this.

Got my new (to me ) amp...(thx again boz)

Just got these tower speakers with light bar... they look great...should work for me.

ScreenClip_zpsbeytfabs.png

Here are 2 questions:

1)The wires coming out of the speaker/light bar-- Do I solder the wires and heat shrink, or do i use those "crimp" type of connectors?
2) the wire that will be visible.(between bar and tower)..is there a nice way to "cover" the wire so it looks nice? .. maybe a nylon wire cover like:

http://amzn.com/B004GE16MC

or

http://amzn.com/B000630254

any help greatly appreciated!

Edited by mtnbkr738

Solder and heat shrink vs crimp is like :ford: vs :chevy: around here. To me there is a time and place for each.

Yes on the Techflex that stuff is sweet.

Edited by Levi900RR

I've got 2 10" kicker comp subs that are sitting in storage if you're still looking for better bass. Also, an infinity Kappa 12" with very high db /watt sensitivity. Which means less power needed for good bass spl (sound pressure level aka volume). You can have speakers w boxes for shipping (I'm in CA). I built a wedge box for 1 of the 10's built from 3/4" mdf w grey carpet exterior, and a rectangular box for the 12 (also 3/4" mdf but not carpeted like the 10" box). PS. There are some GREAT Mono D class amps out now for Cheap! I just bought a Fosgate Prime 750 that the factory techs measured as producing 826 watts RMS for $250 new from my local stereo shop, and it's only like 6"x8"x2" so it fits anywhere.

Edited by miked272

Hey Miked...wow. This is great news! I really appreciate it. I have a 98 Sunsetter, so there is a bunch of room under the helm- by drivers feet.... Do you think your 10 or 12 would fit better down there?

Im in 53188 zip code (WI)...so im sure shipping wouldn't be terrible.

Let me know which speaker you think would be best fit for me...then PM me and ill paypal the shipping cost and address to you.

THX THX THX!!