Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

You guys decide. 08 VLX ballast buy.

theGrant

I have been shopping at wakemakers today and this is the setup that I am considering. Tell me what you guys think. I normally do not have much of a crew. 4 people is a good day.

This is what I'm considering as my budget buy. I like that I can move the 150's around without filling and draining.

One of these for each locker. I am goofy, everyone else is regular. 750 #

http://www.wakemaker...ast-system.html

One of these for under the surf side seats

http://www.wakemaker...ig-bag-375.html

3 or 4 of these to move around and tweak the wake. (Probably a couple in the bow and a couple surf side seats or floor)

http://www.wakemaker...allast-bag.html

OR...

One of these for each locker.

http://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-wakesurf-ballast-system.html

One of these under each bench

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html

This kit. One for up front and one for on the surf side corner if needed. If not Ill have a spare.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-vdrive-sacs-elevate-pump-package.html

I consider this my premium buy.

The difference in price is $739 vs $999.

I'm not a fan of the Piggyback systems, especailly if you are going to be switching sides. They take some time to fill and drain.

For close to the same price you could install pumps.

The #750 for each locker is a must.

Either sack for the under the benches. Get the one that will fit the best.

I also like the idea of the #150 bags you can move around.

Last and most important. Paid members of this site receive a discount with wakemakers. On an order like this is, it would save you some cash by getting a membership.

I agree with Deven - 750s are the way to go. I just bought a piggyback set and yes, they are a bit slow to drain, but I liked the simplicity of the install and I don't switch back and forth a bunch throughout the day. I may add a pump system to them over the winter, but I kind of doubt it. The fill time seems good to me.

I bought a smaller bag years ago for moving around, but we never really wanted to take the time to fill it, move it, so it just sat in the shop until I sold that boat. Voice activated ballast usually ended up being the preferred method of tweaking the wake. That being said, sometimes a bags are less drama... :)

@Deven What kind of time are we looking at for switching over with the piggyback? I'm okay with some downtime. (Snacks and bevys)

@Charlie Voice activated ballast? Am I missing a joke here?

Is there a quality difference between the two brands?

The slow part is really the draining. Water has to gravity feed from the added bags into the existing hard tank to drain. Someone with that system can give you a better idea on the time it takes. It's not a big deal if you only have to do that once a day, but if it's after every other rider, it could get old in a hurry.

Voice activated....."Hey buddy, move over here."

I did what Wakemaker's called a modified Super Piggyback. Replaced the stock Piranha 800 pump with a Rule 1100 pump and a bigger 1 1/8 line to split the fill into the bag and floor tank simultaneously. Then took the old 800 pump to the drain side to drain the 750 bag. So increased my fill time, and fast draining with two pumps to drain, and don't have to wait on gravity to drain the bag. Works great.

Ive read a ton of reviews and the feedback on the piggy back systems is not very good.

I did a johnson reversible pump for the back bags. I ran a hose straight off the drain in the under the tranny(No hole drilling) and T'd it off to fill both bags at once. If Im just surfing, Ill just unhook that bag and put a cap on the end of the fill hose. Ill eventually get a valve to turn it off easier. This system works super good and takes maybe 6 mins to fill or empty the bags.

The best part about this system would be if you surf goofy and are constantly switching sides for weight you can ask the wife for http://www.wakemakers.com/x-link-cross-fill-ballast-package.html for Christmas.

I had the piggy back in my boat for one season, 08 VLX. I did not like it. It worked ok, as far as filling and draining. There was always about 75-100 lbs of water left in them. Worst part was the carpet under the bag would get nasty, and mold. Not good.

During the offseason i pulled the hard tanks, put in larger bags and never looked back.

Can't really commit on a surf set up, but have a great wakeboard set up if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In our 08 VLX with ACME 1235 I have added a 750 bag in each rear locker. I have 2 johnson pumps installed in the v drive compartment. I have one of the pumps to a directional valve and a line running all the way to the front to fill my extra bow bag.

• 2 weeks later...

3 bags - 750 in port rear locker, 750 in starboard rear locker and 750 triangle in bow.

3 thru hulls with 3 Johnson reversible pump and 3 switches.

Lead weight from lead wake to balance things out.

Edited by Murphy8166

I would do dedicated reversible pumps and no do all that piggy back stuff.

For the under seat bag, I'm sure the quality is similar for both, so whichever one measures out to be a better fit.

As for moving a 150lb bag around...why not get yourself a few lead bags instead? That's much easier to move and store with no need to fill them.

I also wouldn't be throwing pumps over the side; use a diverter valve off one of the reversible pumps I mentioned. If you need to fill an exposed bag, have a long hose tucked away somewhere. Flip the diverter valve and have water flowing through that instead. Much easier way to fill/empty the exposed bags.

I also wouldn't be throwing pumps over the side; use a diverter valve off one of the reversible pumps I mentioned. If you need to fill an exposed bag, have a long hose tucked away somewhere. Flip the diverter valve and have water flowing through that instead. Much easier way to fill/empty the exposed bags.

Thinking of adding this to my build. For some reason I don't want to tug ~400 extra lb's of lead around but don't want to throw pumps over the edge either.

Thinking of adding this to my build. For some reason I don't want to tug ~400 extra lb's of lead around but don't want to throw pumps over the edge either.

I don't get the concern with an extra 400lbs. It's like having two adults in the boat...not a big deal. Towing wise, it's like towing an '05-'08 VLX.

Guys i use the wicked wake system and it is awesome. I have a 2006 VLX and i use just full factory ballast plus 400 in the center of the boat if only a couple of riders. Speed 10.4and no wedge.