Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The sun cooked my dash?

So last year I noticed a little spot on the black vinyl material in the corner of my dash that showed up after a really hot sun baked vacation at Lake Shasta. Looks like the sun tried to start the dash material on fire as the spot turned kind of brownish. I always used 303 cleaner then UV protectant on the dash. Now this year I have more of these spots showing up. Any dye or other way of putting close to the correct color back on the vinyl or will it need replacement? Argh.

bob

Are you sure nothing got on the desk causing the spots?

x2

My father in-laws response has brown splotching on the glove box door and the passenger side dash vinyl. Seems to be from sun baked sunscreen or self tanner getting on there from one of the frequent passengers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With out knowing more my guess is spray sun tan lotion. Little different situation but I have a vinyl deck on my boat dock. I started noticing the color of the deck was changing to a light brown and in certain spots there were white footprints. I did some research and concluded it was the spray sunscreen. In a small area try cleaning with powder cascade dishwash detergent mixed in a bowl of warm water. If this does not work try fantastik cleaner with the ammonia. Some of my spots cleaned up perfectly some lighter but not perfect. Obviously this was on a deck so material different.

With out knowing more my guess is spray sun tan lotion. Little different situation but I have a vinyl deck on my boat dock. I started noticing the color of the deck was changing to a light brown and in certain spots there were white footprints. I did some research and concluded it was the spray sunscreen. In a small area try cleaning with powder cascade dishwash detergent mixed in a bowl of warm water. If this does not work try fantastik cleaner with the ammonia. Some of my spots cleaned up perfectly some lighter but not perfect. Obviously this was on a deck so material different.

I agree. No spray sunscreen on our boat after I had to clean the residue off our old boat once.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmm, sunscreen eh? At first I was wondering how the first spot I noticed would be way down in the corner of the drivers window. Turns out I really like clean windows when I drive. I use the Armorall glass cleaner wipes and if my hand had some sunscreen on it then it could have been drug over the vinyl. The other areas look to be easy access for anyone touching it.

Pics? I'll see what I can do, I don't have a easy spot to post them. I avoid FaceNerd and other social/picture websites because they bug me. I don't have time to update people on what an amazing eggs benedict I had for breakfast.

I'll also test out a small area and try the Cascade washer soap and then FanTastic if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob

What ever made you think it was OK to rest your lit ciggies on the dash?

Ha! I may not be 100% sure what caused these spots....but I am 100% sure it wasn't ciggies!

• 9 months later...

Does any one know if the vinyl on the dash can be replaced at a vinyl shop? I have many burns on both dashes on a 2006 247 Wakesetter.

• 5 years later...

Hey guys. I have 2004 Wakesetter VLX. Boat had always been kept spotless and garaged. Last sunny day we started getting these burn spots as well. In fact today, another hot sunny day we got more as the day went on. I covered the dash with towels. I’m really sick about it. We use  303 every time we take the boat out. This makes me sad. I took a few pics of the small burn spots. There are much larger ones on the driver side. I’ll load more tomorrow. 

Sorry. Pics to come. Trying to sort it out. 

yes our 04 did the same thing  at first i thought it was the cleaning stuff we used but then noticed it getting worse and worse, now it looks so bad, and it didnt take long after i first noticed it and it got real bad real fast

• 3 years later...

I noticed these brown spots on our 06 this summer. I’ve tried every product I can think of and nothing has helped. Has anyone found something that works to remove them?