Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'08 VTX Surf Ballast Setup

potminer

So I currently run 200# stock + 400# bag in rear surf locker + 500# stock in center + 260# bag on rear seat surf side + 260# on bow seat surf side + floating wedge down. The boat doesn't have the optional hard tank in the bow. The wave is ok but short & can't go long without rope. I also have 200# stock + 400# in non surf side which is empty when surfing. So I'm thinking of putting 1 400# bag ontop of another in the surf side locker. Will the bottom 400# bag withstand another 400# bag ontop of it without bursting when both are full?

This would = 1000# in rear locker surf side + 260# rear seat surf side + 500# center + 260# bow seat surf side

Thoughts?

Will engine compartment walls need reinforment?

Edited by potminer

I run stock bow, centre, & surf side full....750 sac surf side locker (not quite full.....depending on people in boat...) & 400 additional in bow towards surf side. Speed 10.3-11.4.... If wedge is used usually 2 clicks up. Pocket really shrinks without weight forward.... I find too much in back hurts. Got a 250lb buddy that always wants to sit surf side corner on locker... When I coax him towards front of boat (with a chilled drink) wake / pocket gets better. If it's just wife, 3 daughters,& myself I'll toss another 400 on surf seat....

That being said.... Was just informed my wicked wakesurf shipped yesterday. Can't wait to try it out....I'll report back my findings, for us VTX owners!

Cheers Koop

I fill the 750 in rear lockers without reinforcement... Never had a problem. Others might have a different story though. Give it a go without the wedge as well?

I fill the 750 in rear lockers without reinforcement... Never had a problem. Others might have a different story though. Give it a go without the wedge as well?

Thanks again. So heres what I think I'll try in next couple days...2 X 260# sacs on seats in bow, full center 500# & 2 X 400# sacs + 200# hard tank in surf side rear locker. Will try with & without wedge down. Will update.

Any concern with 1 full 400# sac ontop of another 400# sac?

Edited by potminer

Have never needed to stack both of my 400's ontop of each other..... That's where the 750 comes in! Only concern I'd have is the pressure on the drain/fill ports of the bottom bag? Fill a sac with water on the lawn..... Get two dudes (200lb'ish) to lay on the sucker & see what happens? Better to break on the lawn (if it's going to) than soaking the locker carpet in the Bu???

Have never needed to stack both of my 400's ontop of each other..... That's where the 750 comes in! Only concern I'd have is the pressure on the drain/fill ports of the bottom bag? Fill a sac with water on the lawn..... Get two dudes (200lb'ish) to lay on the sucker & see what happens? Better to break on the lawn (if it's going to) than soaking the locker carpet in the Bu???

thought id try 2 x 400# sacs as thats what I have. will give a try today

So I tried the above but put 400# sac on rear surf side seat instead of rear compatment. Made a really nice, clean & long wave however not much push. Tried with wedge up & down. Wedge didn't seem to affect wave. I think next time I'll put 2nd 400# sac in rear locker like I had planned along with 1 260# on rear surf side seat & 1 260# on in bow on surf side. This should shorten wave & build it bigger for more push

Should also mention was running 10.8-11 mph

Edited by potminer

My regular wave ---

- As much as possible in the port locker (I've got 1100lb sack, but I think only about 800# goes in there).

- 450# sumo in bow (offset to the port side)

- 10.5 mph ish

- port, center, and bow tanks filled.

- two clicks on wedge

Goofy wave --

- opposite from above

- 11 - 11.5ish

- barely a touch of wedge

You do not need to re-enforce the locker walls. You need to keep it from popping off track. I did add a 2x2" angle aluminum at the bottom. There are some threads on this.