Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Super basic Stereo upgrade

Levi900RR

Not sure i fallow how a 5 chnl would not work with some sort of EQ zone controller? Should be able to configure the RCAs so full range chnls heave a dedicated RCA signal and the sub chnl has a dedicated RCA signal, same as a 2 chassis setup.

Huh? Levi was asking if he needed three amps for his three zones (cabin, tower, sub). I said yes, that's the traditional route, but you can get away with a 5ch amp to bring the total down to two amps. Prob with 5ch is that if you want to change either part of that zone, it's a two amp change not one.

That's all. I wasn't saying anything at all about zone controllers or eqs or rcas or chassis.

Levi, here are two really big by todays standards amps in same hull as your boat. I switched it to three amps later on but can't find the pics:

IMG_1492.JPG

unless you have a 5 channel amp that could cover one of the zones plus a sub

This is what I did not understand this part, as ive never met a 5 chnl that could not handle the in-boats and subs as different zones. I disagree with that he needs 3 amp though. That would be determined with the sub choice, which still looks to be undecided i believe?

I disagree with that he needs 3 amp though. That would be determined with the sub choice, which still looks to be undecided i believe?

Let me rephrase this. I take ZERO issue with suggesting a dedicated in-boat amp and dedicated sub amp. Your points about future upgrades are totally valid. I would not say a 5 chnl is a compromise, simply because its a 5 chnl. When making any amp choice, choose the speakers and woofers first, then the amp fall into place. If someone had an L712 or a 13W7 with a 100-W rms and could only budget for a 400W rms 5 chnl, then now, thats a compromise. If Levi's sub goals are for a slammer like those subs then yes, a 5 chnl is not the route to take. If thats been outline, my apology, ive overlooked.

I honestly don't know where I'd even mount 3 amps. :lol:

Same hull as I have - very easily, actually. I have 2 on my amp rack and could easily have a 3rd by just not having my large onboard charger on there. Back wall could easily hold another amp as well. Plenty of room for amps.
  • 3 weeks later...

Those look like a an automotive coaxial with a pole mounted tweeter as opposed to a grill mounted. I would not one a pole mounted that did not have a dust boot to bridge from the cone to the pole.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've officially started...

I bought the amp's that Shawn had for sale and I'm working on a sub and tower speakers (wetsounds in Alpha2 cans) from LBJ. It's going to be a long winter waiting to start building this all out. I'll have to start collecting wiring and distro blocks etc...

I'm starting to lean towards bagging the HU for now and just getting an EQ. Like Shawn said earlier I can always add a HU if I want to later.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm ready to buy my EQ... I'm 99% decided on the WS420-BT

Any reason I should consider something else? And where should I buy it? Looks like its $399 from WS. Also, thinking about getting the non bluetooth version and buying a bluetooth dongle. Seems like the BT option is $100 bucks but a dongle is way cheaper...

Thoughts?

ahopkins22LSV

I think I'm ready to buy my EQ... I'm 99% decided on the WS420-BT

Any reason I should consider something else? And where should I buy it? Looks like its $399 from WS. Also, thinking about getting the non bluetooth version and buying a bluetooth dongle. Seems like the BT option is $100 bucks but a dongle is way cheaper...

Thoughts?

What BT dongles are you looking at?

Tough to beat the Wetsounds EQ for one primary reason....exclusive dual EQs that give individual tone controls for tower and in-boat.

Check in with Odin @ Earmark Marine (when he returns from CES) as he is an authorized on-line Wetsounds dealer and offers a TMC forum discount.

• Like 2

Good info, the dual tone controls is the #1 reason I'm leaning towards the WS. I read your post on the Wetsounds 6X9's which is what I'm going to be running for towers and it sounds like I will need to be able to tune them separately.

I haven't picked a BT dongle yet but I remember reading several posts about some that were cheap that worked well.

I really like the WS-420SQ with the external WS-BTVC mounted in their underdash mount, over the WS-420BT. The 1V output of the BTVC makes it stand wlll above most other blue tooth receivers out there.

ahopkins22LSV

Good info, the dual tone controls is the #1 reason I'm leaning towards the WS. I read your post on the Wetsounds 6X9's which is what I'm going to be running for towers and it sounds like I will need to be able to tune them separately.

I haven't picked a BT dongle yet but I remember reading several posts about some that were cheap that worked well.

I see. Well if you go separate BT dongle, we should have at least a 50 page thread between now and spring because I want one too :)