Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Super basic Stereo upgrade

Levi900RR

+1 on the millennia bluetooth dongle

and +1 on upgrading the in boat speakers and adding a sub, then wait to buy some used take offs or demo exile or wet sounds in the off season

The simplest system to install would be a 5 channel amp with a dedicated sub channel to power in boats and sub

Then add a dedicated tower amp to power the tower speakers

You also have to realize wiring a complete system correctly will cost you $100-$200

I agree with V-rider. Assuming the existing system is wired correctly, you might be able to swap out the existing amp for a better 5 channel and not have to pay for distribution blocks and wiring (yet). Thing is, you need to double the wattage over the existing amp to have a noticeable impact plus you still need a sub channel with beaucoup power. Check out the Exile Javelin. Used, you might be able to score an Alpine PDX-V9.

So I broke away from work today and got down to the boat. The rear grills are broken but the speakers look to be in decent shape. I think I might throw a sub and a new 5 channel amp in now and then look for a dedicated tower amp and speakers throughout the winter.

EDIT: Any thoughts on replacing the speaker grills for the rears? Can I get an updated cover or something? Assuming the stockers are not available.

Edited by Levi900RR

I don't know much about those infinity speakers, but I have to emphasize how much a high quality pair of in boat speakers can make a dramatic change in the sound quality of a stereo. We ran 2 pair of exile towers powered by harpoon all last year and upgraded our stock rockford in boat speakers to exile this year and the difference was so huge we couldn't believe we hadn't done it sooner.

We have an exile javelin powering 4 exile in boats and exile 12" sub in sealed enclosure and we turn down the towers sometimes because it sounds so good even without the towers on.

Just went to the Exile web site. Looks like for $2500 I could have a nice little system.

:rofl:

If you're going to go exile your best bet is to get on the mailing list that notifies you when demo take offs become available and then jump on them. The off season is where you will find more deals and used equipment available in general.

Edited by 08oregon v-rider

Levi, here's a proposed upgrade path:

1. Sub / Sub Amp / Power Distribution

Take your time and do it right from the start. Get a little more amp than you need, and install with high quality wire and distribution blocks. That way when it comes time to upgrade or add components later, it's "plug and play." Expect to spend $200ish on wire, distro blocks and install bits. I'm personally a big fan of JL XD amps because they are small, efficient, and very reliable. Used XD 600/1s can be picked up in the $200 range regularly.

2. New Amp for Cabins / New Cabin speakers

JL XD400/4 can also be found used for around $200. Matches the XD 600/1 exactly and probably would take up about the same real estate as your current amp for the two amps. For cabins, look used for someone upgrading. The malibu factory rockford stuff can usually be found on here for not too much. Budget $200-500 for speakers depending what you go with.

3. Pull tower wire for speakers

This project is kinda time consuming and more expensive than you think. Wire is $100ish, neutriks another $15 or so, and heatshrink and techflex another $15. You'll thank yourself later for dealing with this as its own discrete step.

4. Battery upgrade / onboard charging (if necessary)

Before you add and more stereo you need to have a dedicated stereo bank and shore charging option if possible. Now's the time to add a blue sea add a battery switch, stereo battery and pro mariner charger if shore power is an option. This part is always more expensive than I think it will be. Figure $600 +/- for battery, switch, charger, and wire.

5. Tower speakers / tower amp

NOW you are ready for a nice set of tower speakers and an amp. If you've completed steps 1-4, then adding the towers is going to be as easy as hanging speakers and screwing your amp into the amp rack.

6. Try not to keep repeating steps 1-5 on progressively bigger systems

• Like 1

I'm loving your plan Shawn. I'm trying really hard not to just get some cheap junk tower speakers and an amp. Unfortunately what I want that my stereo doesn't do now is project some background music out of the cabin when we are hanging out swimming off the boat. That and a little bass would check the box. But I am learning fast that I really should follow your path. If not I bet I'll be doing rework in a year or two.

Would you guys pull the kick plate under the helm and build a sub box that fits under there? Will an 8" sub do it or will I want something bigger? I'm not a bass head so I am just looking to fill out the sound.

If you want to be out of the boat or on the platform being able to hear the bass a 8" sub is probably not going to do that. Cost wise the difference between a good quality 8 to a 12 is not much different so I would go with the 12 and build the enclosure to match the sub manufacture specs. That means you have to pick a sub that will have enough available room under the helm and then build the box.

Edited by 08oregon v-rider

If you want to be out of the boat or on the platform being able to hear the bass a 8" sub is probably not going to do that. Cost wise the difference between a good quality 8 to a 12 is not much different so I would go with the 12 and build the enclosure to match the sub manufacture specs. That means you have to pick a sub that will have enough available room under the helm and then build the box.

Sounds good, I haven't built a speaker box since I was in High School. I'm starting to get excited about this project. And the more I think about it I might just go all in...

Levi....

We pretty much have the same boat. I have CAD plans for the sub box I built last summer for a 12" sub under the helm. Makes a good footrest too. If you want a PDF, let me know.

OK, I haven't used the forums a ton, I'll admit. If you want to reply to one specific post and quote it, don't you just hit the "quote" button at the lower right corner of that specific post? Doesn't work for me.

Sounds good, I haven't built a speaker box since I was in High School. I'm starting to get excited about this project. And the more I think about it I might just go all in...

If you're thinking you will save money by taking baby steps towards a bad a## system you will most likely spend more than just going "all in". Lots of good info on here for building a box just do a search.

Levi....

We pretty much have the same boat. I have CAD plans for the sub box I built last summer for a 12" sub under the helm. Makes a good footrest too. If you want a PDF, let me know.

OK, I haven't used the forums a ton, I'll admit. If you want to reply to one specific post and quote it, don't you just hit the "quote" button at the lower right corner of that specific post? Doesn't work for me.

The problem is you cant just throw any sub into any box and expect it to perform. Every sub has a specific volume that it will perform best in and is spec'd by the manufacture. You can be a little off, but not much if you want to get the most out of your sub. If you find a sub that matches iwski's box then go for it. I would also suggest for building your first box to make it as simple as possible.

Levi....

Yeah man, PM me and I'll shoot you my email addy. I'd love to see what you have.

OK, changing the topic of this thread as I've changed my strategy. Man you guys are good at spending my money.

:werule:

Whoops I cant change the title. It should probably read "Levi's mild stereo build" thread now :lol:

Budget is $1500 (although that is just a target. I'd love to spend less but can go over if I HAVE to)

Requirements:

Bluetooth

Good sound quality, don't need a ton of volume.

Tower speakers that are good for surfing and hanging around the back of the boat. Not needed for Wakeboarding.

Almost forgot, I'd love a transom remote.

You guys have seen what I have now, whats the best bang for my buck here? Should I get on that wetsounds demo list? I don't need to get this installed ASAP. I'm thinking all collect parts now and either install before I put it away for the winter or next spring.

Edited by Levi900RR

At $1500 your best bet is to keep an eye out for used wetsounds or exile gear on here and other boat forums. Give yourself lots of time to plan and execute the install to avoid problems down the road that can be expensive as well as frustrating

You think I'd be smart to push the budget a little?

Not necessarily, if you want a $5000 system that's great, but if you want a $1500 system that's great too. Either way you will end up with something way better than what you have currently.

You think I'd be smart to push the budget a little?

You have to have very modest expectations of the tower speakers. Not much power (relatively speaking) and not much projection. You'll be looking at "surf" speakers (traditional direct radiating, not HLCDs). Going full circle, as long as your expectations of the speakers is modest, I think that the Titans you linked way back at the top of this post would be a decent place to start. They won't win any stereo comps, but they are cheap (ish) and you should be able to fill them with decent drivers if it turns out you don't like the sound. On 100w a can, I'd bet they'd be plenty for rocking out while you are floating.

I just want something that's going to last me a long time. I don't want to be fiddling with my system every year.

LOL, then yes, spend more. With your deal sniffer deployed a pair of wetsounds rev8s and an arc audio KS300.4 (KS300.2 if you might ever go with a second pair) pushing them you should be able to be in for $1200+/- for the tower (maybe even a little less if you run a used, bridged JL XD 400/4 for the rev8s). You will also need to budget for an EQ. It really is a MUST when running a nice powerful tower setup.

Edited by shawndoggy