Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow w or wo towing cover?

Nwextreme

Taking the bu on my furthest journey yet which will be about a 5 hr drive. Had a custom towing cover made but still notice after the smaller 2 hr trips I've made the gel coat is a lil dull in a couple places where it rubs. Nothing I don't think I can buff out but still. Do u guys prefer to do your long hauls w or wo the towing cover on? It's going to be a sunny drive the whole way so that's not my concern??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually tow with a Rankin (aka Evolution) cover on the boat, not only to keep the boat interior dry but to keep the load in place, ie; cooler lids, engine cover, seats, skis, etc. Every year we see dozens of stories in here where people have lost whatever from their boat on the freeway. I've had this boat for 7 yrs, and the cover is 9 yrs old, and I still don't have problem spots on the hull from it rubbing anything raw.

I am making a similar length trip tomorrow. And I will be curious to read what others write.

I got some shrink wrap from Home Depot and went around my boat, then I put my cover on. I hate to use the cover but I do have my boards and some gear riding back there and I don't want them disappearing. The cover also keeps the inside clean.

Edited by Dodger40

Usually tow with the cover on & make a 4 - 5 hour drive 5 or six times a summer. Also have a Rankin/Evolution cover & no marks at all. It always seems to rain in one direction during the tow & rain & highways make the interior of the boat a mess.

Since most of our trips are long ones we have upholsterers felt sewn onto the underside of the cover in the places where rubbing can occur. It works really well and no rubbing at all.

My cover also has a ratchet strap that pulls the perimeter of the cover really tight so there is no flapping or movement at all

Edited by brad72

Three trips towing from TX to WI and back now. One without, but it didn't rain. Second with cover due to weather, and glad I did. Third with cover and mostly good weather, but still prefer cover on. I shrink wrap the rub rail, and have not had any adverse wear or incidents with factory covers. I'm sure a better cover like an evolution it's even better. I like knowing things can't blow out or in. Plus when overnighting at a hotel I sleep a bit better knowing that if it rains it's covered, or that while on the road a cushion or engine cover is not going to blow open.

I have a factory CS cover. When i tow with it same problem with the gel coat being scratched.. it is as much the fabric as the dirt being impregnated in the cover fabric. My preference is to tow without. Had pretty good success up until the last few years with good weather while towing. The last two years I keep hitting bad weather. I still find wiping down the interior less work than buffing out the gel coat. I think hitting weather consistently over the last 2 years is a sign to ante up for an evolution cover.

Thanks brad for the idea on the felt. Think that would do the trick. It only does it in two places where it hooks onto the rub rail. It's a custom cover from bakes so it does have the cinching strap and all so i think that's the small piece needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done both and prefer the cover which is just a stock Malibu cover which is bungeed tight so it doesn't flap. I recently had the windshield of my truck replaced due to a rock (or something else) on the highway. I think the cover adds a little extra protection which makes me feel better about the possibility of damage...even if it is a remote possibility.

I've done both and prefer the cover which is just a stock Malibu cover which is bungeed tight so it doesn't flap. I recently had the windshield of my truck replaced due to a rock (or something else) on the highway. I think the cover adds a little extra protection which makes me feel better about the possibility of damage...even if it is a remote possibility.

Trust me, unless the poles are in the cover adds NO additional protection against projectiles the size of a marble or larger.

I Received my evolution cover last week and have towed back and forth to the lake twice. No rub marks what so ever and it is nice not worrying about the gear in the boat flying out. I towed with out the week before and had a board lift up out of the boat and came back into the boat when a semi truck went by in the opposite direction. I will use this cover every time I head to the lake, even for the shorter trips which are 15 miles. It is easy to take on and off and gives me piece of mind.