Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 MOOMBA MOJO vs AXIS A22 or T22

NorrisMike

Oh, and if you're going to do a true comparison, make sure you check out the redesigned 2015 A22. The surf wave, from what I hear, is awesome.

should be the same as the T22 (awesome)

Edited by boardjnky4

I tested a 2014 Moomba Mojo and it was terrible compared to an Axis or Malibu. The surf wave sucked and the wakeboard wake wasn't anything to write home about. Not only did it not perform near as well as the Axis A22/T22 or Malibu MXZ the interior is very cheap and there are a ton of creaks and groans. With every step the floor groans and feels like something is about to break.

If I was shopping for a new boat in the $60's, I'd be looking at the T22 and the TWB23. That's it. Moomba would not even be on my list. And that's not because I don't like Skiers Choice. I actually love the new Supras; I'm just not a Moomba fan. Although I will say that adding the S-bend tower as an option addressed one of my biggest complaints.

T22 vs. TWB23 would be a tough call for me. Obviously MB has a superior interior (dash being my biggest beef on the Axis). But I am skeptical on the new Switch surf system, whereas a T22 with Surf Gate is proven. That and the fact that T22 has a much better low speed wake. If the surf wave is legit on the MB, it would be VERY hard to ignore.

Edited by IXFE

Why is everyone so butt hurt over the fact that of the "value" brands, the Axis interior is possibly the worst? On the other hand, the wake is arguably the best. Now, I am no hardcore boarder or surfer, so I value comfort in an interior. If I were younger and "all about the wake", an Axis would be my boat. However, I have a family and it's more about spending time with them than it is about the wake.

The interior has seen improvements every year for 3 years now. I would agree that a 2011 has a crap interior, but the 2015 I saw yesterday in person has really improved yet again. I wish I took pictures but the boat wasn't fully rigged and mostly still taken apart for rigging.

Comparing 2 backyard pictures to a professional in a studio. Exactly my point.

I could probably take a terrible picture of Kate Upton on my cell phone, but that doesn't mean she's not a smoking hot supermodel.

When you look at it objectively, it's nearly the same. The fabric on the helm is not any different. 2 gauges, a bunch of switches, a headunit, some faux metal trim. Maybe the steering wheel is nicer on the Moomba? That's really about it.

And most importantly, again, the Moomba wake is likely laughable in comparison to the Axis as is that pathetic excuse for a surfgate.

Got to agree here on the pictures. That moomba dash looks nice in the pics, but if you pay attention it's just a big plastic mold with chrome-plastic trim. It's not going to look very high end once you see it in person... Just like the axis.

To me the intriguing part is can a boat like this give me a bunch more space, more power, and a better wave at a price that I can actually afford? And is it wrapped in a boat that looks and feels good? Looking closely at the pictures, I think I'd feel the same way about this boat as the axis brand... Sweet concept, great performance, too much plastic.

I know we all want an LSV/230/G but the way prices are going they are falling out of reach unless you are willing to take 7 or 8 years to pay them off (bad idea if you like the thought of retirement!). These price point boats keep getting better, and that is a good thing! I may not be able to keep up with the Wakesetters long term, but boats like this make me more confident that I'll stay on the water in progressively better boats.

And I guess I'm a homer, but I'd rather own an Axis than a Moomba any day of the week. I've owned 2 a22's and now have an A24. I've also owned an Xstar, several SANTE 230's, a VLX, an LSV, and others. I've spent some time on a few newer Moomba's (including a mojo), and based on what I have seen and heard, the wake/wave of the pre-2015 Moomba boats just can't compete with the A22 (in terms of wake), the T22 (in terms of wake or wave), or the A24 (in terms of wake or wave). I'm sure some will disagree, but I also believe that the Axis lineup will hold it resale value better all day long. I believe this to be the case because I've bought and sold two Axis boats, and plan on selling my A24 at some point. I've done very well (as well as with my Malibu's and Nautiques) in terms of how easy it was to flip my A22's for good money.

In my opinion (just mine) I also firmly believe that the Axis line is more prestigious and garners more respect than the Moomba line from people who are familiar with wakeboats. It's a line that was created with an eye towards producing the best possible wake/wave. It may be a budget friendly line, but you make no sacrifices in terms of performance when you buy an Axis. Just my .02.

Serious question - I always wondered how some people get a new boat every year. If I bought a new boat every year I would be taking a huge hit from depreciation. Either you have a ton of money to burn and simply do not care or you have the "hook up" and can sell for a minimal to no loss or make a profit. Do you have friends in the right places?

Furthermore, I think long term ownership vs owning multiple brand new boats for one season holds more weight when it comes to a valued opinion. Not sure one season is long enough to find the faults or get past the bugs in some cases.

Axis all the way for me. Although, the Moomba/Supra people have made huge gains in their boats! I like the Styling of Axis much better. Its more exciting and better brand name recognition to be rolling in a Axis than a Moomba.

I agree....the Axis Dash is terrible looking. I could barely see the depth gage when the sun hits it. The gages are overall ugly. The switches look cheap, and the actual dash is flimsy. Huge room for improvement here!

Comparing 2 backyard pictures to a professional in a studio. Exactly my point.

I could probably take a terrible picture of Kate Upton on my cell phone, but that doesn't mean she's not a smoking hot supermodel.

When you look at it objectively, it's nearly the same. The fabric on the helm is not any different. 2 gauges, a bunch of switches, a headunit, some faux metal trim. Maybe the steering wheel is nicer on the Moomba? That's really about it.

And most importantly, again, the Moomba wake is likely laughable in comparison to the Axis as is that pathetic excuse for a surfgate.

In all fairness the new Mojo wake is receiving very good reviews. There is a big difference between the 2014 and 2015. Boat has been redesigned from hull up. If they took some of the Supra DNA then no surprise the wake should satisfy plenty of people. And the factory 2500 lbs of ballast is pretty substantial.

Nobody is saying Axis is not a good boat. There will be plenty sold, but this Mojo is definitely another option for buyers. The budget boat market is getting hot, Axis, Moomba and also the new MB looks great as well. When I say budget I'm referring to $70kish boats... seems crazy, but that is considered entry level now.

Edited by Fman

Yeah, and an A24 was not that much of a step up in price from an a22 or T22 for 2014. If you can find a leftover A24, that would be a nice score. Or, you can just buy mine at the end of the season.

Edited by Chattwake

It all comes down to personal preference. I bought my 2014 A22 because I was more concerned about the wake and like chattwake said, how the boat performs. I have friends who have x-stars, vlx's, supras, etc and they all have complimented me on the quality of my boat and the way it handles when puling a wakeboarder. Ease of steering, torque out of the hole when heavily weighted, ease of surfgate, massive wakeboarding wake, quality and durability of vinyl...etc. Granted there are some corners cut but they would have to do so to keep it a "budget boat". Personal preference again it what it comes down to. Thats why there are more than 1 boat manufacturer. Every boat has something on it that others people wish they had on their boat. Some people kneeboard behind MXZ's, some people like to tube behind xstars...thats fine. I personally only want to wakeboard and wanted the biggest wake possible at my price point, so I went with the A22. The joy's of 'Merica! You can buy what you want for the reasons you want. No need to get butthurt over what someone else's opinion is. Buy what you want and what fits your needs and be happy with it.

No doubt that the MOOMBA name has a certain stigma attached to it... It seems like they are trying really hard to shake that! I give them props for taking some leaps into the right direction. Can't wait to test drive one. Whether or not it sucks a big one - I will be sure to post my thoughts.

Serious question - I always wondered how some people get a new boat every year. If I bought a new boat every year I would be taking a huge hit from depreciation. Either you have a ton of money to burn and simply do not care or you have the "hook up" and can sell for a minimal to no loss or make a profit. Do you have friends in the right places?

Furthermore, I think long term ownership vs owning multiple brand new boats for one season holds more weight when it comes to a valued opinion. Not sure one season is long enough to find the faults or get past the bugs in some cases.

If you purchase a new boat every year from same dealer your pricing will be better than most recieve. Some states have no sales tax, or huge luxury taxes. Most people finance for 20 years now, I am sure some could eat a little when they resell, but some could care less because they are in the latest and greatest boat every season. Most 20 year financing will require 10% down, this gives the buyer a little depreciation wiggle room. It's definitely has some risk, if the boat market ever peaks out it could backfire, but most on here seem to have no issues selling there boat every season. Seems like a lot of work, new stereos, ballast, new boat bugs, etc... Every season, but hey why not if that is what works for you.

• Like 1

The lack of QC on a $100k+ boat from malibu is really concerning as of late, so I hate to think how bad it gets on their budget line. I love the T22, we demo'd one and my only gripe was the interiors plastic like feel as opposed to nearly every other boat I demo'd.

_IF_ They stepped that up, it would change a lot of peoples mind about axis.

• Like 2
what is a nicely medium equipped 2015 Mojo 23ft 6.2 450 going for??? someone said earlier right at $70k? can anyone confirm??

No he said MONDO was 70K. That is insane for a sub par wave/wake 20 ft boat.

"Butt Hurt" is the new "Game Changer"

Out of all that I typed thats what you took out of it? The new Axis line is a game changer. At the end of the day, it is what it is. Take it or leave it. Im just sayin'.

Out of all that I typed thats what you took out of it? The new Axis line is a game changer. At the end of the day, it is what it is. Take it or leave it. Im just sayin'.

Thoese are all of the stupid things people say that get on my nerves that I could come up with off the top of my head.

Not the best pic, but here's the 2015 A22 wave. Notice zero wash and a nice lip.

ap7kgn.jpg

so my eyesight isn't what it once was, but I've studied this pic for a while and I cannot for the life of me figure out where this "nice lip" is? It looks to me like that wave rolls over at the top. Compare Afun's or rayray's vlx waves.... much better lip.

(IMHO prolly a weighting issue... need a little more on port side to stand up the wave)