Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 5.7 LCR Thermostat - napa part #?

geogilbert

Does any one know if there is an equivalent napa part for thermostat and gasket on my 08 5.7 LCR?

The indmar part # is "indmar 985009."

Kinda in a jam and need to get this fixed before I will be able to get back home to the dealer.

Pics in dropbox if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n7xcyyl22eyva6i/AAAWR0Rl9wTdK2e7v9iUuLRNa

Thanks in advance, for the help!

George

Your best bet is going to remove your old thermostat & take it in to a local Napa type shop (that stocks a lot of parts) to have it checked out. I've replaced them a few times but never noted the part number.

You already have it removed. Take it with you!

I replaced mine with a generic gasket. I don't think there is anything marine specific about that part.

Edited by eyekode
  • Like 1

Hmm, so 1st trip to Napa not so successful. It was basically closing time and I think I may have gotten the short straw on help. He definitely tried but think he lacked experience.

I am planning to try another shop in the AM. Is there anything I can give him as far as a car make or similar engine that might help steer the clerk in the right direction?

Crap I am sorry I read the initial post wrong. I didn't notice you needed a thermostat too!The thermostat is 160 degrees and very well may be marine specific because it has to run in raw water instead of antifreeze (more brass?). The gasket however you should be able to find a replacement for locally.

Edited by eyekode

You can use an automotive one in a pinch, it will simply fail sooner as it won't be raw water tolerant and thus will tend to corrode as it is a steel rather than brass housing. Basically any stat for a 350 cubic inch Chevrolet will work, same year model Silverado is a good choice for the auto parts rookie that can only look something up in the book related to a specific vehicle. Before the install, make sure there is either a bypass hose for water to always get to the exhaust manifolds or drill a small pair of holes in the outer flange of the stat. You can get automotive stats in several temperature ranges: 140 / 160 / 180 etc..

Just to update I ended up using a Mercruiser stat. Was the same basic size although the configuration had an extra spring on the bottom. Ran is right after for about 4 hours and so far so good.

Thanks for all the help.

George