Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wicked Wave Review 06 V-Ride

Bradley Thornton

Worth every penny the 1100 are full with just a extra 400 sitting in the walk through and 160 up front in lead. Tried more weight but it didn't make it any bigger. Keep in mind the 1100 want fill 100% in that compartment. FYI with that weight the nose NEVER gets close to dipping under the water.

Perfect. I have 1100s in the rear lockers and the 500 sub-floor in the middle, and floating wedge, and a 1235. With this device would you do another 400 in the bow, or do you think I'd be good?

I got to keep the one side he used to make the 01 VLX template. I will have to wait for the other side since I wasn't first on the list. I am going to do a write up and provide some pictures and video at some point. Haven't had a chance to put all that together yet. Short answer is. This is the HANDS DOWN, BEST WAVE my boat has ever made. I am really digging it.

• Like 1

Perfect. I have 1100s in the rear lockers and the 500 sub-floor in the middle, and floating wedge, and a 1235. With this device would you do another 400 in the bow, or do you think I'd be good?

Rennis read my whole review. Short answer sorry my 500 center is full also you will still need the 400 I wrote about this the nose is a little higher than I liked without it.

Bradley, do you think your set-up would work well if you had 750# sacks in the rear? That is what I have as well as a lot of other people with this hull.

Wakedncsu, What weight/ballast set-up and prop are you using?

Edited by malibujay

Bradley, do you think your set-up would work well if you had 750# sacks in the rear? That is what I have as well as a lot of other people with this hull.

Wakedncsu, What weight/ballast set-up and prop are you using?

I would say yes but you will still need some front and center weight also.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine for an 07 vRide and got out to ride tonight. Love it! We have 750s in the trunks and ran those full with just the stock 500 hard tank in the center, floating wedge down, and nothing else. With 4 people in the boat we had the wave below. We moved one person to the bow, about 200 lbs and it made the wave have less height and less push. I liked it better without the bow weight. We rode further back with more push than ever before. And to be able to just flip the switches and go riding, no hoses over the side or anything, amazing! When we wanted to wakeboard we just dumped a little weight out of the back and took the gate off and went.

I didn't end up using the turnbuckle, I just ran the strap from the eye on the gate through the grab bar, then through the D ring and back to the eye on the gate. This worked really well and eliminates the need for the turnbuckle. Sorry no pictures of this. I'm posting from tapatalk so can only do one image at a time. The next few posts are me and my brother riding the wave. We are both 6'1" and the wave is about upper thigh high on us when you're at the tallest part at the back of the boat.

post-3534-14091894311746_thumb.jpg

Edited by jtrovato
  • Like 1

I just got mine for an 07 vRide and got out to ride tonight. Love it! We have 750s in the trunks and ran those full with just the stock 500 hard tank in the center, floating wedge down, and nothing else. With 4 people in the boat we had the wave below. We moved one person to the bow, about 200 lbs and it made the wave have less height and less push. I liked it better without the bow weight. We rode further back with more push than ever before. And to be able to just flip the switches and go riding, no hoses over the side or anything, amazing! When we wanted to wakeboard we just dumped a little weight out of the back and took the gate off and went.

I didn't end up using the turnbuckle, I just ran the strap from the eye on the gate through the grab bar, then through the D ring and back to the eye on the gate. This worked really well and eliminates the need for the turnbuckle. Sorry no pictures of this. I'm posting from tapatalk so can only do one image at a time. The next few posts are me and my brother riding the wave. We are both 6'1" and the wave is about upper thigh high on us when you're at the tallest part at the back of the boat.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1409189431.732704.jpg

I tried it like you and the nose was way high while surfing will play a little more with it but I think at this point I like the 400 in the bow/center.

I tried it like you and the nose was way high while surfing will play a little more with it but I think at this point I like the 400 in the bow/center.

Yeah the nose was definitely high, had to sit on my knee to see over the bow, but I felt like I liked the wave better without the weight in the nose. It probably also has to do with the fact that I can just flip switches on the dash and not have to do anything else with bags and still get a good wave, much better than I had before, so the extra effort to fill more bags for me is outweighing any perceived benefits in my eyes.

I have a tube sac that I can fill manually and try in the center/bow under the cushion and in the walkthrough, just haven't gotten around to trying it out yet because I was so happy with what I got without it. I will probably get a better wave, but is it worth filling that extra sac manually and having everyone move around the boat to do it? Maybe, but the majority of the time when I'm out with my two kids age 2.5 and 5.5, it's so much easier to just flip 3 switches on the dash and go!

Impressive waves from vRides :thumbup: My buddy got his in the mail the other day, if you look closely you can tell the pieces where cut with a circular saw but the thing is rock solid and the gate is huge, can't wait to try it out!!

• Like 2

Do you find that you get a fair amount of spray over the top of the gate while surfing. Also, does anyone know the length of the gate?

No spray behind mine at 11.2 that the speed you need for mine to clean up see first pic I post on #1 post. As far as length its as long as my platform. A few have asked me for measurement and sizes and angles. No disrespect but I want help with this. Joe is a nice guy and did all this homework selling it at a great price. Its just not right for anyone to give out all his hard work. I know that may not be what your asking just letting it be known.

I also have no spray over the top of the gate on mine. I'm at 10.8 for speed with the way I have mine weighted. This is on the Malibu speed control, not GPS verified, so no idea how fast I'm actually going.

Mine had spray; however, Joe was able to fix that by making a change to the mount. I now have 0 spray over the top.

Edit: I should also add that mine had spray because I was the first boat of this year/model. He made a template off my hull and cut all the pieces. It worked great, but had very bad spray. Once that was fixed, it has been solid since.

Edited by wakedncsu
  • Like 1

Mine had spray; however Joe was able to fix that by making a change to the mount. I now have 0 spray over the top.

I'm still waiting on a PIC.

I'm still waiting on a PIC.

Yeah. I was just talking to Chris about this last week. We have been incredibly busy and haven't had a chance to get good pics and do a write up. I am hoping to be able to put the boat on the water on Sunday and take some pics.

malibujay, I have the same hull as you guys & run a gate. I run 900 in surf side rear, non surfside I run about 400-550, hard to tell, the bag is 750 but I only fill 2/3. Center floor full, I think that is 500, 500 in the bow, wedge down. My speed varies 10-10.5 depending on the lake, depth. Usually 10.3 is the sweet spot but last time out in 12-17' deep water 10 was the sweet spot.

Wakedncsu- What ballast setup are you running for surfing , wedge up or down and which prop?

I run 750's in each locker as full as I can make it, the ski locker bag mostly full. I don't have a wedge. I also fill one 400# bag on the port side to counter the prop rotation. Use the 1235 and run at 10.7. that is the setup if it is just the two of us. If I have a crew I remove the 400# port side bag and add bow ballast till the wave looks good. Speed stays 10.7. That is following PP set by gps and calibrated at 22mph.

I run 750's in each locker as full as I can make it, the ski locker bag mostly full. I don't have a wedge. I also fill one 400# bag on the port side to counter the prop rotation. Use the 1235 and run at 10.7. that is the setup if it is just the two of us. If I have a crew I remove the 400# port side bag and add bow ballast till the wave looks good. Speed stays 10.7. That is following PP set by gps and calibrated at 22mph.

Counter the prop rotation? Do you notice a big difference if you don't use the 400# bag on the port side with only 2 people?

I went out the other day with the gate I made, 750# bags full, 500# center full, 370# on the floor in the bow/walk through, wedge down and 1235 prop. I wasn't impressed, not enough push.No way I could go ropeless. The gate I made looks very similar to the one from wicked wave. Ive started with a wood gate to work out the details and determine if I prefer it over listing the boat. I did end up noticing shortly after I started surfing that my 750# bags were self draining and dont think we ever had more than about 400#s in them. I'm going to try again this weekend after I fix the draining problem.