Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil

I thougut i rememeber reading in my manual that premium fuel is recommended. Will have to check again. Yes the engine is an LCR 320hp. prehaps previous owner dumped lower grade oil in engine???

Nope, 89 is what the manual calls for, 87 is fine. Premium is a waste of money and power on that motor.

Even a thinner grade oil won't have that kind of consumption rate.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it. Just thought I'd mention the boat now has 130hrs on it. Bought it with only 90hrs. Maybe rings are just sticky? I heard seafoam does wonders for engines. I've used it in fuel tank of other vehicles before but never in oil. I understand it can be added to oil. Perhaps rings sticky from storage without fogging engine? Thoughts?

If it were me, I'd just run it the way it is. Sure, it's using a bit more oil than it probably should, but adding oil it a lot cheaper than an engine.

@potminer: Another potential source of high oil consumption would be through your crankcase breather system. I would inspect it to make sure it is plumbed correctly, give the hoses a visual inspection to see if there are signs of oil being pulled through them. As noted, ring flutter could also be a cause, along with any cylinder wall scoring or damage that makes ring sealing ineffective. You can use a boroscope to look down in the cylinders to inspect them, a leak down test would also provide information on piston ring condition. You might pull the spark plugs and visually look to see if any signs of water contamination (rust) or poor engine performance. Under normal circumstances, regular fuel is not an issue, the compression ratio of these engines does not require premium fuel, although if left in the tank for long periods, fuel does tend to deteriorate.

school me. For this engine, how on earth could you plumb the crankcase breather system to consume oil? It's just a couple hoses coming off the valve covers, correct?

On the other issues, isn't WheelerWake correct? If the boat is running fine (or good enough), is there any additional harm in running it? I'd run 20W-50 and tough it out until I lost significant performance.

Edited by flapjack

school me. For this engine, how on earth could you plumb the crankcase breather system to consume oil? It's just a couple hoses coming off the valve covers, correct?

On the other issues, isn't WheelerWake correct? If the boat is running fine (or good enough), is there any additional harm in running it? I'd run 20W-50 and tough it out until I lost significant performance.

yes I agree with you both. I plan to run it as it performs well.
  • 9 years later...

I read the this thread, and consensus is OK to use any 15W-40.  So I bought Chevron Delo 15W-40 , however I need clarification on the API.  The manual for Wakesetter 2005 says to use oil that meet or exceeds  API CJ-4 or CI-4.  The API on Chevron Delo is CK-4.  If any has some information, please advise.

9 minutes ago, Keoki said:

I read the this thread, and consensus is OK to use any 15W-40.  So I bought Chevron Delo 15W-40 , however I need clarification on the API.  The manual for Wakesetter 2005 says to use oil that meet or exceeds  API CJ-4 or CI-4.  The API on Chevron Delo is CK-4.  If any has some information, please advise.

Ratings are alphabetical.  CI-4 was replaced with CJ-4 which was replaced with CK-4

Ck4 is fine.

13 hours ago, Keoki said:

The manual actually advises C rated rather than S rated oil on a gasoline engine?  C rating is for compression engines (i.e. diesel) and S rating is for spark engines (i.e. gasoline).  They have different additive packages.  Several oil brands have both ratings, but I'm a little surprised that the manual recommends the wrong type.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:43 AM, justgary said:

The manual actually advises C rated rather than S rated oil on a gasoline engine?  C rating is for compression engines (i.e. diesel) and S rating is for spark engines (i.e. gasoline).  They have different additive packages.  Several oil brands have both ratings, but I'm a little surprised that the manual recommends the wrong type.

The manual on my boat has both a c and s rating listed.

Indmar uses and recommends marine 15W40 in all 5.7L
and 6.0L engines and Mobil 1 5W30 in all 6.2L engines.
These oils meet or exceed the API Service CI-4 and SL.

Edited by oldjeep