Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil

I can't seem to find any Pennzoil 15W40 Marine oil as recommended by Malibu. What I have found though is Pennzoil 15W40 long life for Diesel engines. What is the difference? (Exept the price) It if much cheaper then other brands of 15W40 Marine oils? What does a gallon sell for in the US? I don't know if it is the fact that marine oils here (Canada) are only found in marinas and boat dealers or the fact that they are marine that they are so much expensive. (More expensive then Mobil1 Synthethique 38$ for 4,4 liters (1 gallon))!

I can't seem to find any Pennzoil 15W40 Marine oil as recommended by Malibu. What I have found though is Pennzoil 15W40 long life for Diesel engines. What is the difference? (Exept the price) It if much cheaper then other brands of 15W40 Marine oils? What does a gallon sell for in the US? I don't know if it is the fact that marine oils here (Canada) are only found in marinas and boat dealers or the fact that they are marine that they are so much expensive. (More expensive then Mobil1 Synthethique 38$ for 4,4 liters (1 gallon))!

That's basically the same stuff. Look in your Indmar manual & it will have a bunch of ratings that the oil needs to meet. You'll find that the Pennzoil Diesel stuff will meet most if not all of those ratings. I believe that Valvoline Blue diesel rated oil will also meet most of those ratings FWIW.

Malibu OM says that if no Pennzoil 15W40 Marine available to use an oil which meets the following API Service Category ratings: CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SJ. The 15W40 long life diesel has the following API Service Category ratings: CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL. What is API service category and what is the difference between CF/SJ and CF/SL?? Anyone? Dontknow.gif

Edited by 1FootDan

I contacted Pennzoil technical support asking them the difference and here is what they said, and I quote;

"The two oils that you mention are 100% compatible. If your application call for an meeting CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SJ, then Pennzoil Long-Life 15W-40 will work fine. It is API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL certified.

Please read this http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf- it explains how the API service categories work.

Please call 800.458.4998 for any further technical assistance.

Regards,

Technical Information Center US"

So I guess this is good news! Basically SJ is the standard for engines that were built in 2001 and older and SL is the standard for engines that were built in 2004 and older. The latest service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category.

Edited by 1FootDan

Just get Chevron DELO (15w-40) it's cheaper and jkust as good or better than the Pennzoil stuff.

After hard barefoot runs my lifters click a little bit with the Penzoil. I switched to Valvoline.

What grade? 15W40?

SL is an improved version of SJ. As oil companies improve on oil the second letter moves up one more. As a matter of fact SM oil has been out for a while now, and it was a major improvement on SL. Some say it is as good as synthetic. Its the same with the CH, which is improved upon the CG. The S stands for spark, as in sparkplug, and the C stand for compression, which is what ignites a diesel/air mixture. 15w-40 is a typical diesel viscosity, and a heavy duty gas viscosity. Marine grade probally has a higher TBN(total base number) to do a better job of neutralizing acids that develop more in a marine enviroment. Base(basic) being the opposite of acid.

Just get Chevron DELO (15w-40) it's cheaper and jkust as good or better than the Pennzoil stuff.

I have watched them dump Delo in plenty of boats at the plant.

After hard barefoot runs my lifters click a little bit with the Penzoil. I switched to Valvoline.

What grade? 15W40?

Valvoline 20W50 Racing Oil

10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic..... I can't imagine these motors needing any more at start-up than 10. Most all new v-8 in the trucks today are calling for 5w. Fords new ones are calling for 5w20!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The viscosity a manufactor of a motor picks to use in the engine is decided by the tolerances the motor was built with. Tighter engines use thinner oil(20 weight). Sometimes they specify thinner oils to ALSO improve economy. If your engine(ours) calls for a 40 weight, I would use a 40 weight. Thinner oils will not fill the voids(tolerences) and wear becomes the result. Thicker oil can not fit in the voids and you get the same results. If you don't trust the viscocity you are using, use a better oil(syn) in the same grade. The first number...5w,10w,15w means nothing in the summer, the w standing for winter.

I spoke with an Indmar tech direclty when I was trying to find a 40 wt for the HH 383 that had a CH rating (diesel). They said as long as the oil was API SJ or higher you were fine.

FWIW, I did run a Quaker State Truck and 4x4 15w40 on my first oil change befreo switching to 40wt and it worked just fine.

If you want the diesel spec oil, the Delo is very good. I run it in my Duramax.

• 7 years later...

I just got off the phone with an engine tech from Indmar - direct from the manufacturer's mouth. Any 15w40 oil will work - any brand. It doesn't have to be marine grade or long-life - he says it all meets the same spec - they just charge you more if you get the "Marine Grade". Go to your nearest auto parts store or WalMart and get 15w40 - it's all the same.

I just got off the phone with an engine tech from Indmar - direct from the manufacturer's mouth. Any 15w40 oil will work - any brand. It doesn't have to be marine grade or long-life - he says it all meets the same spec - they just charge you more if you get the "Marine Grade". Go to your nearest auto parts store or WalMart and get 15w40 - it's all the same.

I wish I could "like" this post more than once.