Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil

On the topic of oil, I have buddies who run Rotella......thoughts? Concerns?

Many of us in Canada use Shell Rotella 15w 40 as it is available everywhere.....The only place I saw the Pennzoil was at Bass Pro north of Toronto.

• Like 2

Many of us in Canada use Shell Rotella 15w 40 as it is available everywhere.....The only place I saw the Pennzoil was at Bass Pro north of Toronto.

I have been using Rotella for years. 15w40 Diesel.

• 9 months later...

Just picked up my used '08 VTX 320Hp this year. After 35hrs of use this yr I noticed the oil was down ~ 1L. All I could find at the lake was straight 30 Valvoline engine oil. Haven't used it much since. Maybe got 1.5hrs on it since doing so. Is this ok for my boat?

Also, is it normal for an engine to burn that much oil after that many hrs of use? We surf, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, etc.

I use Amsoil Marine Specific oil 10W40 and their EOa large capacity filter as well as their ATF fluid too. Probably overkill but I feel better using it. I barefoot about 70% of the time, tube the kids 20% (too much imho) and 10% slalom, so the majority of the time the RPM runs 4000 plus. I switched over at 100 hours and have had great success with it. Only change it in the fall of the year and don't think of it again til the next fall season. Doesn't burn a drop from what I can tell.

Just picked up my used '08 VTX 320Hp this year. After 35hrs of use this yr I noticed the oil was down ~ 1L. All I could find at the lake was straight 30 Valvoline engine oil. Haven't used it much since. Maybe got 1.5hrs on it since doing so. Is this ok for my boat?

Also, is it normal for an engine to burn that much oil after that many hrs of use? We surf, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, etc.

Thanks guys. I was asking more along the lines of if I should continue to run with existing oil for rest of season(~15hrs) before changing oil for winterization or change oil immediately.

Thanks guys. I was asking more along the lines of if I should continue to run with existing oil for rest of season(~15hrs) before changing oil for winterization or change oil immediately.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about having the "mix" of oil at all. I would just keep running it.

This topic comes up every 6 months. A couple years ago someone posted a study of the best diesel grade oils. Of the readily available ones havoline premium blue was the winner and I've used it since. On sale for 13 bucks a gal often.

No issues at with topping off with the 30W. Yes, its normal for an engine under heavy load, such as a boat engine, to burn some oil within the 50 hour service interval. Since the boat is new to you, I would check more often in order to get a feel for how much the engine is using, based on your use of the boat.

No issues at with topping off with the 30W. Yes, its normal for an engine under heavy load, such as a boat engine, to burn some oil within the 50 hour service interval. Since the boat is new to you, I would check more often in order to get a feel for how much the engine is using, based on your use of the boat.

Thanks again guys. Makes me feel better

The oil is down .5 - 1L again after ~ 6hrs. Prob more like a litre. Is it possible it's burning oil due to burning regular fuel rather than recommended premium fuel?

The oil is down .5 - 1L again after ~ 6hrs. Prob more like a litre. Is it possible it's burning oil due to burning regular fuel rather than recommended premium fuel?

Doubtful

I can't seem to find any Pennzoil 15W40 Marine oil as recommended by Malibu. What I have found though is Pennzoil 15W40 long life for Diesel engines. What is the difference? (Exept the price) It if much cheaper then other brands of 15W40 Marine oils? What does a gallon sell for in the US? I don't know if it is the fact that marine oils here (Canada) are only found in marinas and boat dealers or the fact that they are marine that they are so much expensive. (More expensive then Mobil1 Synthethique 38$ for 4,4 liters (1 gallon))!

The West Marine brand is made by Pennzoil...This is what I have been told

Malibu didn't offer a motor in 2008 that required premium, other than the LS7 (which would mean you have an EXTREMELY rare VTX if it has one and you would know it). Why do you think your motor needs premium, which I am guessing you are running an LCR or Monsoon?

Not that fuel octane would have anything to do with using oil at an extreme rate.

Malibu didn't offer a motor in 2008 that required premium, other than the LS7 (which would mean you have an EXTREMELY rare VTX if it has one and you would know it). Why do you think your motor needs premium, which I am guessing you are running an LCR or Monsoon?Not that fuel octane would have anything to do with using oil at an extreme rate.

I thougut i rememeber reading in my manual that premium fuel is recommended. Will have to check again. Yes the engine is an LCR 320hp. prehaps previous owner dumped lower grade oil in engine???

I thougut i rememeber reading in my manual that premium fuel is recommended. Will have to check again. Yes the engine is an LCR 320hp. prehaps previous owner dumped lower grade oil in engine???

I don't know about Premium, but mine says 89 octane

I will lay odds that it has ring flutter. Nothing the manufactures will want to stand up to as it would be cheaper to replace the engine then fix it for a manufacture.

This would be from GM not the marinizeing. Ring lands to wide or rings to thin. JMHO

@potminer: Another potential source of high oil consumption would be through your crankcase breather system. I would inspect it to make sure it is plumbed correctly, give the hoses a visual inspection to see if there are signs of oil being pulled through them. As noted, ring flutter could also be a cause, along with any cylinder wall scoring or damage that makes ring sealing ineffective. You can use a boroscope to look down in the cylinders to inspect them, a leak down test would also provide information on piston ring condition. You might pull the spark plugs and visually look to see if any signs of water contamination (rust) or poor engine performance. Under normal circumstances, regular fuel is not an issue, the compression ratio of these engines does not require premium fuel, although if left in the tank for long periods, fuel does tend to deteriorate.