Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paging David.. Paging David... Again

cyclone18

David, if you read this I need your advice again please if that's ok!

I have been offered an SD4 Amp at the Same Price as an SD2 To power two pairs of Rev8's. Would this be to much power for these or would it be perfect?

if not it just means waiting for the SD2 to come in, So its not a big issue. as per your advice I was going to run the SD2 With each pair joined so I only had two runs of wire going up the tower.

any help is much appreciated.

The SD-4 to two pair would be 185W rms to each pod. The SD-2 to two pair would be 300W rms to each pod. Same $$$ for an additional 100W+ to each pod, no contest, id wait for the SD2.

Thanks for your reply MLA. So to confirm you are saying the SD2 would be the way to go even though it is a smaller amp? if I solder one speaker to the other and the run one channel for each pair for the SD2 that is. Sorry fort the dumb questions but I'm a complete stereo system noob however I am eager to learn!

Yes, the SD4 might be the larger and more expensive amplifier but the power output is according to the application (load, configuration, etc.). In other applications the SD4 would have a distinct advantage. But specific to your application the SD2 would deliver FAR more power.

Yes, you will run the left speakers in parallel and the right speakers in parallel. So two conductors to each side and split like a 'Y' at the top of the tower, + to + and - to -.

Yes, you will run the left speakers in parallel and the right speakers in parallel. So two conductors to each side and split like a 'Y' at the top of the tower, + to + and - to -.

What I can't run it + to - and - to +? two + = a -- :rofl:

I take it this is an important step many miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, all the rest of my stuff has turned up today:

So in my boat i will have:

2 pairs of Rev8's with RGB's, Translucent Grills & Swivel Clamps Powered By one SD2 Amp

2 Pairs XS650's RGB's for in boats

1 Pair of XS650's for Dash

All Powered by one HT6 Amp

XS-12 Sub in Sealed Enclosure Powered By SYN2

And one WS420EQ.

The wiring I have chosen with the guidance from you guys and also grant at wetsounds is:

0AWG From Battery to Distribution Blocks

4AWG From DIstribution Blocks to Amps

12AWG From Tower Speakers to SD2

12AWG From XS12 to SYN2

I haven't got in boat speaker wire yet, can anyone recommend what gauge to run the XS650's? My local stereo Shop is saying 16 Gauge, what do you guys think?

For in-boat coaxials the norm is 14-gauge max and 16-gauge min. You may already have 16-gauge from factory, although you may not have six discrete runs.

I hope you purchased the version with the black grill for atop the dash.

thanks david, I did try to get the black version but they where out of stock and only had silver so I am just going to paint the grills black.

if you were doing the install what would you use?

one other thing that has me confused.. it sounds really dumb but where to the red, blue, green and power wires connect to the speaker? like there is terminals there for the speaker cable but how does the rgbs hook up to then go to the controller?

I like the contrast of the silver/gray grills everywhere except the dash. A bright grill will cast a distinct reflection on the windshield which I find distracting. It's so much easier to wait on that particular speaker.

For that distance and power level, six discrete runs of 16-gauge 2-conductor is just fine. You won't detect a difference upgrading to 14-gauge. However, if you are a little obsessive then by all means go 14-gauge all around. And you might even benefit from the placebo effect.

Goths8,

While there is no audible advantage to upgrading to 12-gauge for that distance and power level, if you already own it and want to use it there is no down side either.

My only concern is when you start adding heavier weight wire than the small speaker spade/blade connectors were intended to handle. Given the shock and vibration of a towboat, with 12-gauge I would strain relieve the wire fairly close to the coaxial speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm worried about the selection of amps I have gone with regarding my sub and In boat speakers. Here is my dilemma!

I want to build an amp rack and have it look very neat, i have basically one of every wetsounds amps a SD2 HT6 and SYN2 so they are all different sizes and designs.

I am running 6 XS650's off of a HT6, which should deliver 110 x 6

1 SYN2 powering 1 XS-12 which should deliver 700x1

I am worried that I am under powering the in boat speakers and the sub, my thoughts about getting around this are:

Swap HT6 for 1 SD6 for the XS650's which should then deliver 185x6

Swap SYN2 for 1 SD2 for the XS-12 sub which would over power the sub but I figured I could run only 1 channel and have the gain set low.

This would if nothing else give my install a very clean and uniform look. What's your thoughts guys? Too much power?, not enough?

The HT6 is in now way, under powering the those XS-650 in-boats. Will they handle more, sure, but im not sure you would want to unleash all 185W from an SD-6.

Swap SYN2 for 1 SD2 for the XS-12 sub which would over power the sub but I figured I could run only 1 channel and have the gain set low

You have a 4 ohm sub. So running it on one chnl of the SD-2 would be 400W, as opposed to the available 700 from the Syn-2. I would stay the course IMO.

You have a cosmetic issue if that is a concern in a concealed location. But no real power issues as I see it.

While the XS650 could certainly handle a bit more power, keep in mind that running the six-channel amplifier into a conservative 4-ohm load and with a dedicated channel per each speaker, you have good remaining headroom and are running very clean. A Syn4 running the six in-boats has nothing additional to offer and might be less headroom. The SD6 is too rich for this application.