Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What to eat on the boat?

Kalamazoo

For starters, there are rules in place...no red drinks, no doritos/cheetos, etc.

we usually load up the boat for either an evening or entire day, including snacks plus one or more meals.

I think we've made every cold cut sandwich known to mankind.

blown through various types of pasta/chicken salads.

Looking for ideas on family lunch/dinner ideas that are cooler/boat friendly.

Ideas?

My wife is from Peru. She makes Peruvian style ceviche which doesn't have tomatoes like Mexican ceviche. With cold beer on a hot day it is outstanding.

fruit: grapes, apples, watermelon (pre-cut), orange slices (chilled overnight)

summer sausage (usually elk or venison, but Blue Ribbon makes so good stuff too/pre-sliced) with sliced colby cheese & crackers (if necessary)

plenty of water for the kids

Edited by Hammertime

"Cold food is for amateurs". That's what my good friend Ben said when he introduced me to bringing your Coleman cook stove (the one with the grill is ideal) to the lake. Turn the front bow cushions upside down and start grilling. We do steaks, burgers and hotdogs usually. We also recommend bringing Pringles or Stackers as the hard tube protects the chips from any serious damage during stowage and boating. Beef jerky is also a hit with my kids.

"Cold food is for amateurs". That's what my good friend Ben said when he introduced me to bringing your Coleman cook stove (the one with the grill is ideal) to the lake. Turn the front bow cushions upside down and start grilling. We do steaks, burgers and hotdogs usually. We also recommend bringing Pringles or Stackers as the hard tube protects the chips from any serious damage during stowage and boating. Beef jerky is also a hit with my kids.

Wow. To each his own but if someone tried to bust out a grill on my boat...well....let's just say it would involve removal of shirts and lacing up my Sperry's REAL TIGHT

Edited by DocPhil

Wow. To each his own but if someone tried to bust out a grill on my boat...well....let's just say it would involve removal of shirts and lacing up my Sperry's REAL TIGHT

I can see it now..."you got a lighter? flipper?"

:Doh:

It's not really my thing. But you'd be real busy in a resort community like around here. People come to camp & have a good time. They come by car & boat. And to tell people they can't BBQ on a boat, especially when they sell boat BBQs at every boat shop in the country.... well, good luck.

I haven't seen them on 21' boats like mine. But it's common among the type of people who buy the 24' & 25' or larger boats, ie; G25s, X-80s, X-45s, etc.

7-10-2011141.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I'm definitely NOT for having a fire on the boat, but it is doable in the right locale...but we normally find a dock and BBQ there. You become a hero real fast when you're grilling fresh corn on the cob, brats with a toasted bun, chicken, steak, etc. A few weeks ago I even treated the guests to steak and lobster. Just remember the butter!

• Like 1

I once had a sailboater friend show up for a day of skiing with his rail mounted grill and a bag of charcoal.

I told him to leave that gear, as well as his Bubba Burgers, buns and cooler full of condiments in his minivan.

He may as well have brought his fishing tackle.

It's a ski boat for cryin out load....not a pontoon boat.

• Like 3

Grill is on the shore. If you are hungry, we bring snacks and bevvies.

Our snacks consist of a variety of things, pretty much anything that doesn't have orange in it.

I also bbq on the lake (magma grill). I have a couple of carpeted rubber door mats that i lay out, then put the little grill on top of that. After cooking i set the grill on the swim step to cool, i fill all rear, drain all front so swim is 2~3inches under water. I typically just do burgers/dogs/brats. Simple.... I have 3 teen aged kid's, and a couple burgers for them makes the day much more pleasant for me. We have also been known to shove a pizza box or two on the towel warmer above the engine.

I usually fill a big ziploc bag full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that I make before leaving the house to go to the river/lake and grab a few pop tarts. They are not that messy if eaten on the swim platform and if there is no room in the cooler for them then they will survive sitting out beside the cooler! When someone gets hungry, they just reach in and grab one while we are switching riders. If anyone wants something more than that, to the bank/shore they must go.

Cold fried chicken is always good on the lake. Toss the bones in the lake for the fish

This is money:

1 teaspoon ground oregano

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground sage

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon onion salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoon paprika

2 tablespoons Accent (MSG-based seasoning)

I add the following to kick it up a touch:

1 teaspoon ancho chili powder

1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder

1 teaspoon de arbol chili powder

Grab some chicken from the deli with skin, sprinkle over the chicken (I try to do it before we leave for the lake) and grill as normal. :rockon:

:Doh:

It's not really my thing. But you'd be real busy in a resort community like around here. People come to camp & have a good time. They come by car & boat. And to tell people they can't BBQ on a boat, especially when they sell boat BBQs at every boat shop in the country.... well, good luck.

I haven't seen them on 21' boats like mine. But it's common among the type of people who buy the 24' & 25' or larger boats, ie; G25s, X-80s, X-45s, etc.

7-10-2011141.jpg

I couldn't care less what people do on their boats. Just keep your George Foreman away from my vinyl. Please and thank you kindly. :)