Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth Dongle Adapter - Is this the right one?

daylorb

I have the RFX-5000 Black Box - have had bluetooth issues with it and finally realized I could avoid the Malibu BT and use the dongle. I ordered one on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Marine-Bluetooth-RFX5000/dp/B00BWNRFJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405950386&sr=8-2&keywords=rockford+fosgate+bluetooth

The picture in Amazon shows a model RFX5000BT. The one that arrived shows BTD2. It looks identical to the one in the photo, but I can't get it to work. Wonder if this is the wrong one entirely or perhaps I just can't figure out how to activate this thing?

post-21218-0-91537100-1405950657_thumb.j

Do you see it with your phone or once paired, it does not play? This one is not on the AUX like the Medallion unit that comes OEM, so what mode are you putting the BB in?

I attached it in the glovebox through the same input I would normally attach an iPhone. Cycled through the Mode button and all that was coming up was Aux, FM/AM, Sirius. It never seemed to recognize it was even connected... I tested and that jack works. Could not get to the pairing stages, phone never saw it.

That needs to be plugged into the bluetooth cable on the RFX box directly not the iPod cable port. If you remove the amp board it should be labeled for a quick connection in the black box wiring harness.

• Like 2

T-squared has it right. There is an actual BT plug on the BB.

And while you are back there, I would take the Medallion unit out of the AUX loop.

Edited by MLA

T-squared has it right. There is an actual BT plug on the BB.

And while you are back there, I would take the Medallion unit out of the AUX loop.

I've seen the Medallion unit. What purpose does it serve?

I've seen the Medallion unit. What purpose does it serve?

The OEM Blue Tooth is sourced through Medallion, so it interfaces with the Maliview. To get the audio, it piggy-backs into the glove box 3.5mm AUX. Since the OP is installing the Rockford BT, I see no need to leave the OEM connected.

The Fosgate BT dongle sounds Wayyyyy better than the Malibu Device Gateway Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And waaaaaaaayyyyyy cheaper too!!

So went down and removed the amp board. That was a treat in 95 degree weather. Nothing there that says bluetooth. The only unused dongles were Sirius and a much larger connector than the one on this dongle. Tried all just for giggles nothing worked.

The dealer told me they swapped my head u it for the 5000 this spring, I just went online and looked at the wiring on both, and I still have the 3000 which does not support this dongle... good grief. Now to find out why they told me they did the 5000 swap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by daylorb

I just installed the Millenia Bluetooth dongle to my RF3000. Connected to the AUX connector on the back of the black box. Had to remove the AUX connection that was already plugged into it that went to the glovebox aux plug. It works great so far. Password 0000.

• 5 years later...

If anyone is still fighting this stupid RF Bluetooth issue, here is what is working crazy well for me. Volume seems great, not evaluated battery life so far but claims 8 hours

best buy, iSimple-Vehicle Bluetooth Adapter #6344658 $29

also for sale a stupid RF dongle I paid fifty bucks for that won’t plug into any of the one hundred useless cords on the BB