Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

drain plug led lights

foreste1

I just found drain plug led lights so no drilling in boat, seems like this would be a good way to go. Anybody tried them? I found some that seem cheap and have 3 led lights but found another guy making 1 led with 20watt, calls his co Diable Royale Customs his videos seem real and the blue light looks very bright.

Same here. If I can get a red one this wil be an easy sell to the wife. Just yesterday she asked me how can we turn the pool red for my son's halloween party.

I checked out the website. It showed a picture of a single red LED, but it was not a choice in the drop down for sale. The triple red LED was an option for $229.00. (I was looking for red also). I am sure that if you asked, he would probably put a red one together for you. I would be curious as to how bright the red is compared to the blue. Seems like everyone is doing the blue lights.

Edited by Setter02

I recently purchased two drain plug lights off the Wakworld suggestions. CREE on ebay, they are the 3 LED style. I installed on the fourth of July because I knew we would be out on the water to watch fireworks. One was installed in the rear drain and adds quite a bit of light under the swim platform. The other one I installed in the center T-handle drain plug, this added a nice glow under the rest of the boat. This one took some effort, I had to buy a 3/4" to 1/2" bushing and had to tap threads all the way thru the bushing. I then installed the bushing from inside the boat. From the underside I fed the wires up into the hull and screwed the light in. All of this was performed on the lift. I went with white so that I would get the brightest output.

Robert

I checked out the website. It showed a picture of a single red LED, but it was not a choice in the drop down for sale. The triple red LED was an option for $229.00. (I was looking for red also). I am sure that if you asked, he would probably put a red one together for you. I would be curious as to how bright the red is compared to the blue. Seems like everyone is doing the blue lights.

What is the website? For some reason I never found it. I only found youtube videoes and didn't see anywhere he posted his site.

I just want red to go with color of boat and plan to add red LEDS in interior soon. hopefully the red will be bright enough.

Don't get hung on the drilling holes in the boat. It's really not a problem. I installed my LEDs like 6 yrs ago & have never had any problems with them.

And I need to be able to easily remove my drain plugs for inspection stations whenever we go from lake to lake in different states. Seems like this kind of light would make that a PITA.

Thanks, I just sent him an email asking about red and how well a single red would light up. I have never seen the wedge down so don't know if it is near the drain plug or not. Would that be a concern with the double or triple version he has?

The problem is when the wedge is up.... it blocks the light more. Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

I made my own several years ago by mounting (via small bolts/washer/silicone) a puck LED light to a threaded floor flange with the same threads as rear drain hole, and a 2" threaded brass conduit threaded into both the drain plug hole and flange. Ran the wire through the flange, conduit, and drain hole and filled with silicone. Has worked fantastic ever since. If I can find which light I used, I will post it.

Floor Flange: (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=brass+floor+flange&id=277EFB071CC35634108646A1EBA8B40DD365112C&FORM=IQFRBA)

BulletLines light: http://www.bulletlines.com/underwater-boat-lights-s/5.htm

The boat plug light looks pretty good. More lumens that what i have, and don't have to fab anything.

Edited by DIE2SURF

Don't get hung on the drilling holes in the boat. It's really not a problem. I installed my LEDs like 6 yrs ago & have never had any problems with them.

And I need to be able to easily remove my drain plugs for inspection stations whenever we go from lake to lake in different states. Seems like this kind of light would make that a PITA.

The problem is when the wedge is up.... it blocks the light more.

It's not just the drilling it's also the cost. Aren't the good ones kind of pricey? And it is a little bit of the drilling. I would be scared to do it myself and want to have it done so there is more cost. I can sell a not too expensive version to the wife but if we are talking $500 she will say "WTH? To light up some water? Really?"

Edited by MEYJR

It's not just the drilling it's also the cost. Aren't the good ones kind of pricey? And it is a ittle of the drilling. I would be scared to do it myself and want to have it done so there is more cost. I can sell a not too expensive version to the wife but if we are talking $500 she will say "WTH? To light up some water? Really?"

I have the stock Malibu 6 LED version..... bought from the dealer for around $350. Like I said, it was a few years ago.

You gotta man up on the drilling. Swimming is more hazardous than drilling a couple of small holes. Measure twice, drill once. Then caulk the holes during the assembly.

I appreciate the simplicity of installing the drain plug lights. But it seems like it would be not so simple if you have to remove it very often.

I've been emailing with the guy from Diablo. Turns out he is just 40 minutes from me. he says reds just do not do well underwater and would not want to sell me a single red plug because it wouldn't provide near enough light. And after sending him some pics of the back of the boat he thinks the double and triple would not work with the wedge. he suggested just going with clear. But i am not sure how well the clear would do with the wedge blocking some of the light either. I'd love to see some pics if someone has the single. If not maybe I can get with him and have him let me demo one so we can all see how it does with a wedge.

• 10 months later...

I've got one of the Diablo lights and it's working great after one year. If i did it again, I'd get their double light though.

I just received their triple light, should have it in for the 4th. i will try to post pics when i get it in the water. Can say, it seems to be built like a tank.