Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's talk tires.....

ndahlberg12

I think they were the AT/S

The thing that bothered me about them was the max pressure, only 40psi, not overly indicative of a heavy duty tire.

Indicates a P rated tire rather than an LT. Not too unusual since most 1/2 tons tend to come with P rated tires - mine included.

Nope, didn't have the time. It was a 35 x 12.50r on 18" rims. I liked them and bought them when that tire style first came out. I installed and balance them myself. I'm sure we would have gone in circles.

• 1 month later...

Stay away from Falken... Terrible tires... I have had 2 sets on my f350 (second set warrantied) and they lasted about half the like as any other tire I have run and the only tire I have ever had separate...

I recently installed BFG All Terrains and I like the look and ride but they seem like they wander to me... Michelin is the best in my opinion as well however I had a set of Nexen Roadian AT2 that were awesome... Any tire you go for just make sure it is a 10 ply Load range "E" and you will be fine for weight...

I recently installed BFG All Terrains and I like the look and ride but they seem like they wander to me...

Maybe your toe-in is a little too tight. When was it aligned last, and did they give you a printout?

Nitto Terra grappler is a good tire too.

I like Nitto's lineup in general, but my Terra Graplers wore down too quickly. Great for a few thousand miles but quickly showed wear. I ended up getting around 35k out of them IIRC, but I drove them way past the point I should have...we are talking a speedometer impacting tire diameter change from wear.

I'm now running the BFG Rugged Terrain. The look good (not quite as good as the Terra Grapplers, but close), and are wearing a whole lot better.

• Like 1

I wasnt happy with the tread life of the BFGs AT KO's on my F250. 2 sets and I got 30K out of each set. For over $1000 I expected a little more than 30K. The latest set I have are the Falke n Wild Peak ATs. They were just over half the price of the BFGs and claim a 50K mile warrenty. I'll admit the side lugs on the BFGs make them look more aggressive, but for the amount fo muddy roads I see, the Falkens have done just fine.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

I go through 4+ sets of tires annually on the truck. Combo of hwy and oilfield lease roads.

Best

1. Toyo Open Country MT

2. BFG AT KO

3. Geolander AT

Ok

1. Nitto Terra Grap.

2. Pro Comp X terrain

Worst

1. Goodyear Wrangler AT

2. Michelin (don't remember which, just know they were like driving on ice when it rained)

• Like 1

Maybe your toe-in is a little too tight. When was it aligned last, and did they give you a printout?

I just had new ball joints put on just before the Tires and he did an alignment but was a private shop and no printout given.. I may look into that.

I just had new ball joints put on just before the Tires and he did an alignment but was a private shop and no printout given.. I may look into that.

My F-150 was pulling to the right, so I attempted a driveway alignment (which is a great way to kill most of an afternoon). It got better, but still pulled a little. When I bought new tires I had them check the alignment. He showed it to me while it was on the rack, and I had missed the camber by about 0.02" on the adjustment. It doesn't pull any more. You don't have to off by much.

I go through 4+ sets of tires annually on the truck. Combo of hwy and oilfield lease roads.

Best

1. Toyo Open Country MT

2. BFG AT KO

3. Geolander AT

Ok

1. Nitto Terra Grap.

2. Pro Comp X terrain

Worst

1. Goodyear Wrangler AT

2. Michelin (don't remember which, just know they were like driving on ice when it rained)

Geolanders are great and less money then Toyo's in these parts

100k miles and pulling a 15k trailer on gravel roads, a good set will last around 3 months. Would be great proving grounds for auto mfg's.

Edited by MLBurns

This is one of those regional questions. What works in places where there is no snow/ice is quite different. My experience with BFG AT's is that they are just horrible on icy roads, tread compound is just too hard and the tires have no siping.