Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's talk tires.....

ndahlberg12

But for a truck. I've got a 2011 F250 with 40k that has Goodyear duratrac's on it now. Love the aggressive look of the tires, however I hate how noisy they are. Wondering what tires you guys recommend. Truck is pretty much used to haul the boat so they need to have good grip on boat ramps and I two our 12k lb fifth wheel so they have to handle weight. Need to be good in snow too as Nebraska winter can be tough as well with snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had very good luck with BFG All Terrains, both for traction and towing heavy. We have compared them with a few other tires in the snow, our camp is on a two mile dirt road that I plow, and doesn't get sanded, there is a big hill on it and the BFGs seem to do better on it then most all terrains but not as good as a dedicated snow tire. They are pretty quite and last 40-45,000 if I keep them rotated on my old 240,000 mile truck. Another one that seems to do well in the snow, towing, and wear well is Michelin LTX A/T2, I think they are a bit loader thou, but a friend of mine likes them better.

BFG Rugged Terrain. I don't have any experience with snow, but I got 65,000 miles out of them and never had any traction issues. Also very quiet.

All good recommendations in here so far. I would add the goodyear all terrain adventure with Kevlar to the list. Goodyear silent armor was mentioned but they have been replaced with the adventure model.

I just put them on my truck about a month ago, they are quiet and do good in heavy rain. I will not know about snow traction until this winter. I almost went with the duratrac but they didn't carry the mileage warrenty of the adventures and as you found out I thought they might be noisey.

If your going for aggressive looks the adventures are pretty tame but are supposed to out perform the duratracs in the snow. They will give up mud traction compared to the duratracs. What do you do the most with your truck?

Firestone Destination AT is my vote. I'm on my 2nd set on my Ram, they wear well and have good traction in anything but mud.

Note - this is on a 1500, so I don't tow as heavy as you do.

Edited by oldjeep

Mini thread hijack alert

I have a 2002 avalanche that is primary my commuter vehicle. I use it to tow the boat to the dealer 1.5 hours away 2 times a year on average.

Also, I got a smoking deal on this truck from my BIL who lived in Alabama so it is only 2 WD. I have difficulty sometimes at the boat ramp when pulling the boat out. It is RWD with traction control

What would be the best tire for me? primary commuter tire but able to tow a couple times a year and got out of the ramp. Thanks!

Pickiest guy I know runs Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on every truck he buys. Buys a new truck every two years and swaps out whatever brand new tires are on it for these. And he's a Toyota guy so you know he's a special kind of picky. :whistle: He has had a few 3/4 tons in there but never seems to keep them as long before trading them on another Tundra or Tacoma.

Mini thread hijack alert

I have a 2002 avalanche that is primary my commuter vehicle. I use it to tow the boat to the dealer 1.5 hours away 2 times a year on average.

Also, I got a smoking deal on this truck from my BIL who lived in Alabama so it is only 2 WD. I have difficulty sometimes at the boat ramp when pulling the boat out. It is RWD with traction control

What would be the best tire for me? primary commuter tire but able to tow a couple times a year and got out of the ramp. Thanks!

Again, I'll suggest the Destination AT. Mine is an 09 2wd Ram Crewcab - around 5600lbs and its my daily driver with 103K on it so far. Never had any issues pulling the boat out of the water or a car trailer out of the snow. If you are having traction issues then consider some weight for the bed, in the winter I run 600lbs of sand back there but never needed anything for summer.

Here is a fat sack for your truck ;)

http://www.shurtrax.com/

Pickiest guy I know runs Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on every truck he buys. Buys a new truck every two years and swaps out whatever brand new tires are on it for these. And he's a Toyota guy so you know he's a special kind of picky. :whistle: He has had a few 3/4 tons in there but never seems to keep them as long before trading them on another Tundra or Tacoma.

What kind of miles is he getting out of them? My kids Grand Cherokee has a set on it and they seem to be wearing really quickly - soft tires.

What kind of miles is he getting out of them? My kids Grand Cherokee has a set on it and they seem to be wearing really quickly - soft tires.

Usually trades his rigs in with 30-40k on them.

I've always run BFG dueler AT's. I have always been a big fan, never had an issue. I just went with Firestone destination for the first time about a month ago and so far have been happy. I figured I've give them a shot as they were running a special at the firestone/Bridgestone store, and te service advisor recommended I try them. There were no issue at the ramp an it's a pretty good grade

Edited by wakebrdr94

Run Michelin, best tire on the planet. 70k mile warranty and they do honor it. Have experience with that

Truck does not really go off road so no need for aggressive tread.

Got a particular one in mind? I'll also suggest that folks who live in TX, FL or other places with no snow are going to have some wildly different ideas of what a good all season tire is ;)

Put Yoko Geolanders on the Expy at 45k. Traded it at 80k, they maybe had another 5k on them. Those tires are quiet and have pretty good traction in sand and snow and rain. They do not have that aggressive of a look if that is what you are going for. I'd get them again.

Put Yoko Geolanders on the Expy at 45k. Traded it at 80k, they maybe had another 5k on them. Those tires are quiet and have pretty good traction in sand and snow and rain. They do not have that aggressive of a look if that is what you are going for. I'd get them again.

Which Geolandars (AT/MT/HT/G???)? They make 20 different types

On my Silverado 3500 and prior F-250 I have run BFG's, Dueller A/T's (nice tire but don't last on heavy trucks less than 30k on 2 sets) and now have been running Michelin LTX A/T2 from Costco on my 3500 and Burb. Great tire. And I am around 40k and treads look good. It works well in snow and sand. Just came back form a trip where we had beach access and went through soft stuff with now issue. I have towed the 247 (when we had it) and a 5th wheel and now a Travel Trailer. I use to be all about BFG and a Michelin snob. Not anymore. Next set will be the same.

I think they were the AT/S

The thing that bothered me about them was the max pressure, only 40psi, not overly indicative of a heavy duty tire.

Edited by Falko