Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Binding Lubricant

Davetullis

I think we have mixed sports in this discussion. We still have "old technology" rubber bindings for waterskiing where I think wake boarding has moved completely away from it except at the very entry level.

I'm amazed by all the soap users out there. I would never dream of using a soap or oil based product as a binding lubricant.....soaps and oils are know to deteriorate water quality and that's why their use is illegal in some places.

I feel bad enough thinking about the emissions the boat introduces into the lake and try to comfort myself by using environmentally friendly products where ever I can.

I moved away from the "old technology" rubber bindings on my ski this year to a lace up style boot and love it, better performance no lube needed and easier entry.

Getting down off of my hi horse..... I have always used Newt Juice as a binding lubricant, works great, dissolves before you are up and riding and is environmentally friendly (at least according to the manufacturer). Before the binding change I used to buy it by the gallon.

My old star had a soap dispenser. It was a 01 and that was the 1st year they had it. Not sure that option lasted long but not a bad ideal. Binding are made different now days and soap is not as needed. Back in the day the rubber wasn't as fitted they where just super tight. I can remember if they didn't hurt they wasn't tight enough to stay on. The worst is a crash with one foot in and one out.

Sent into space with tapatalk

Running Wiley's I use what ever shampoo I can get cheep. As soon as I get into the water I wiggle my feet in the bindings and all is good. At the end of the run I will rinse my bindings well waiting to be picked up. My Wiley's are something like 7 years old and look new. I never leave my ski in the heat or sun so that helps.

I use duck butter. I have a gallon sitting behind my seat with a hose and sprayer attached. The hose feeds up the back and out a cup holder. I spray it then it sits right back in the cup holder for the next time it is needed. Has worked great for 15 years.

• 9 years later...

Coconut oil. And my approach is a bit different. I want my bindings tight but I want my feet to come out if I have a violent wreck. On the slalom I have a releasable front binding (and RTP) so I don't really worry about lube for that one - maybe a tiny bit to help me get into the lining/shell if I leave them together. But on the wakeboard, I lube my feet and bindings up good (and don't want it to wash out in the water) and then crank everything tight. If I wreck hard, both feet eject, which is what I want. The times on a ski or WB where I have really injured my feet/ankles/ligaments/tendons is when I didn't come out. Prior to the releasable ski binding, I had some really painful wrecks where everything in my body was violently pulled after I wrecked and the ski dug into the water. Had a few like that on the WB before lubing em up well. Coconut oil is pretty natural, as far as I can tell, and seems to work well. Both bindings and feet probably smell better too. :lol:

Not sure how good it is for the bindings. Mine take alot of use/abuse so they get plenty of wear so hard to tell.