Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Binding Lubricant

Davetullis

What is everyone's favorite binding lubricant? I've tried moose juice and ivory dish soap, both is which work pretty good. But wondering if there are others that people like better. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Blast' liquid dish detergent, straight. Tried numerous other brands and a proper binding lube but keep coming back to this one - seems to be ideal for me. Doesn't seem to do the skin any harm. No evidence of it harming bindings. Pop top works well, too. Surprised how low on the slipometer scale some others are. No idea if it's available in the US...

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/blast-concentrated.html

Edited by GreenMan

Surprised this has not been mentioned yet. I use shaving cream. Barbasol beard buster is my favorite. Smells good, washes off easy and it does not cut grease. Rubber bindings are petroleum based and I have been told that using soap can dry the bindings out. I'm not claiming that is a fact and have never researched this theory but it makes some sense to me. If someone is a chemical engineer or chemist and wants to tell me why this is incorrect I'm interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I never liked dish soap. Every time I used it I seem to have a one foot in, one foot out crash. Newt juice always worked best for me. It washes out quick so my feet stay put and if I crash I always had consistent both feet stay in or both feet out.

Oh, forgot the procedure. Shoot some onto the front and the back of the binding stick your toes and and slide partially in and almost out a few times. This will spread the shaving cream around then one good shove and your in.

The gel type works better but I'm too cheap. Make sure you get something with a stainless steel can or else make sure your cup holders have drain holes in the bottom. The bottom if the cans will rust if always left in a cup holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full strength Ivory Liquid. I use an old bottle from contact lens solution. The small hole allows me to squirt just enough to get in, and it washes off easily. If you are having trouble washing your chosen lube off, you are probably using waaaay more than you need.

Edit: My ski is a 1987 Connely Shortline II. I have always used Ivory on it, and the binders have not dried out yet.

Edited by justgary

used to use dawn on my HO Animals. I just got some new Radar Profile boots and they have fabric on the inside. I was told the soap destroys the fabric, so I've been trying to get in the binding without soap. Easy when it's dry, not so much when wet

I'm surprised how many votes are for dish soap. Think about all those dawn dish soap commercials that tell you how good their built in degreaser is at cutting grease and oils from your pans while you scrub. Understand that rubber has oil in it to keep it pliable. When the oil dries up you get cracking.

Another vote for shaving cream here. It works incredibly well. I put some on my hand and smear it on the inner heel from top to bottom, then the same on tongue top to bottom then i dip my bare foot in the water and put a dab more in my hand and rub some on the heel of my foot, and the top of it, slides in EZ PZ.

When you get in the water give some side to side shakes and it all washes away. Maybe even though dawn dish soap is worse for you bindings its so minimally worse that it never shows given the short lifetime of a binding but I don't see why you'd chance it when shaving cream is as readily available as dish soap, those 99 cent foam cans is what I used to run, works great.

I just had a flashback to my 2003 liquid force ultra sucs. Man those were good bindings. I bought them again when LF re entered them in the lineup but they didnt have a gel heel in them and they were really stiff compared to the old ultra sucs. I really wish LF would give an actual real revival to that binding. Get heel cups, nice soft wrapped binding. If they want to add laces fine but the boot shoulda been soft and plyable like last time! what were you thinking lf? ;)

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I'm surprised how many people use some kind of lubricant to get in bindings now.. How old are the bindings you're using? Ever since '08 every pair of bindings I've used I just wet them and slide right in. They cinch down tight enough that I rarely come out and usually only some heel lift when I do. No one I've ridden with in the last 4 years has ever used any kind of lubricant either.

• Like 3

I haven't needed it since 2008, but I had a gallon of binding lube I got from Overtons. It's still about 1/2 full so now we use it as waterslide accelerator. I don't remember the brand, but I can't imagine using dish soap...I like how the lube dissolves instantly.

Yea, all the bindings anymore should be made to come in and out of either dry or wet. My bindings cinch down really right (if I really want them that tight) and they also have a hinged heel. Kind of like how snow ski boots lock in. I remember way back in the day we had to use lube to get into bindings. But that was back in Nam.