Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate picture thread - all boat models

Fman

Thought it would be fun to start a thread with surfgate pics, ballast configurations, and boat model to give SG owners some different options and ideas. Here is our 2013 VLX, 2315 prop, Monsoon 350, MLS full (1250 lbs), 650 Sumos in each locker (1300 lbs), 300 lb gunwale bow ballast bag, wedge all the way down, 11.4 mph/GPS cruise, 8 people in the boat. Completely hidden ballast, total ballast weight = 2850 + wedge.

Travis_Surfing_zps25638690.jpg

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
There are much better waves out there, but considering it's all hidden ballast and super easy to dial in, it works well for our family and friends.

Travis, now that you have some hours with the new gunwale bags, can you tell a big difference with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Regular Side 2013 LSV, 2315 Prop, Surfgate, Wedge 2 Clicks Up, All Stock Ballast Full, 750lb PlugNPlay Each Side. 3 Adult Passengers On Surf Side Approx 600lbs. Me driving Approx 190lbs On Port Side. No Additional Bow Weight Other Than Factory

photo_zps0a9baa48.png

I think you forgot to tell everyone the rider is a midget.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2006 VLX front and mid ballast full. Passenger side 3/4 full and surf side full. Wedge half way down with wickedwakesurf gate. Only my 114 lb wife driving. AWESOME wave!!

Screenshot_2014-06-26-13-44-38_zpsfqseou

• Like 2

Travis, now that you have some hours with the new gunwale bags, can you tell a big difference with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

On the VLX the extra 300+ lbs makes a difference to elongate the pocket for surfing, no doubt. I have tested it filled and empty and it is noticeable. It seems to be a good balance with the 650s in each rear locker. I really like the additional weight and still being able to retain my seating for people in the bow, and being able to empty it out when its not needed. We are also using it for wakeboarding, another 200-250ish in each rear locker with the the 300 lb bag in the gunwale and the wakeboard wake is looking pretty sweet. Another plus is being able to fill and drain weight on the fly, if I need some more bow weight I can just hit the fill switch and do the same for lightening it up if needed. So all in all, very pleased with it, so far no issues with draining or filling, the Johnson pump has been doing great. I do not run my 800 lb center bag much, I feel like the boat is over weighted, especially with a decent size crew on board. The 2800 lbs seems to be a good number for us, boat seems safe and driveable for my wife to handle on the water, without being overloaded and the wave is fun and decent for everyone.

• Like 2

Your wave is ridiculous Afun. My shop has an orange and white VLX with my name all over it. I may have to work on that boat this winter if they don't sell it. I want what you've got son!

Your wave is ridiculous Afun. My shop has an orange and white VLX with my name all over it. I may have to work on that boat this winter if they don't sell it. I want what you've got son!

14630124714_cafce7939e.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

That midget is my wife..and she can do midget 360's on both sides. ;)

Nice! Add bow weight to lengthen the pockets, and flatten the wave...increase speed just a bit...my .0002 cents