Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Ford Expedition...?

IXFE

After 70k miles, we are thinking about getting rid of our 2010 Yukon Denali XL. My wife loves driving my 2013 F150 Limited (especially the interior comfort, look, and feel) so naturally we're considering the new 2015 Expedition as our next family tow rig (we have 4 kids so a full size SUV is a must at this stage of life).

Here are my initial thoughts.

• Ecoboost seems like it would be a good match for the Expo. Coming from the gutless 5.4L it feels long overdue.
  • Kind of wish it was available with the 6.2L, but I'm hearing it won't be.
  • Exterior looks a lot like the previous Expo (i.e. dated). Feels like a very modest update of the front clip is all we go here. The rest looks the same. Disappointing considering how extensive the Tahoe/Yukon redesign was.
  • What's with the long, horizontal, chrome strip across the back? U G L Y ! !
  • Muffler and exhaust pipe hang really low relative to the rear bumper. Feels like an afterthought. Same for the partially visible spare tire, tow receiver, and exposed window hinges and rear wiper... the entire rear end looks unfinished to me compared to the GM's.
  • Interior looks a lot like current F-150, which is a good thing, IMHO.
  • Newer "My Ford Touch" in the Expo is a good thing (idiosyncrasies notwithstanding).
  • IFRS allows for smoother ride and true fold down rear seats (not the faux variety in the new GM product)
  • King Ranch has to be ugliest trim package available. Wish they had an FX4 with PTM everything and smoked lighting.

What do you think... Expo or Tahoe/Yukon?

2015-ford-expedition-front-three-quarter

2015-ford-expedition-dash.jpg

DSC008571-e1393013042835.jpg

Edited by IXFE

the interior is almost the same as the super duty interior....I wouldn't call it dated. I personally, after seeing the new Yukon and Tahoe in person have zero interest in them. I did like the outgoing design on the exterior a lot better. The front clip is nice on the expo, the bottom lights remind me of a Mercedes ML

I had an Expy, bought it new, looked like it had 150k on the clock when we traded it in at 80k miles. I hear Ford has turned some things around, but cheaping out seemed to be a Ford theme. The "leather" seats were only leather where you touched them, everything else was vinyl, which ended up cracking, not that the cheaply dyed leather seats didn't crumble. And the third row seat was ALL vinyl. Heck, even the steering wheel material, whatever it was, turned to mush for some reason, nasty. I could go on, but don't want to turn this into a bowtie versus blue oval bash. All I would recommend is you take a look at the small details of the newer Fords and be sure the corners aren't cut. I really liked the ride of our Expy. It was smooth and quiet. That is about all the good I can say about it, oh, and the brakes. Very strong braking.

I would go with the new Yukon/Tahoe but I am biased since I stare at them all day long. The new Yukon/Tahoe paired with the 6.2L would be an awesome combo.

I think the interior looks really nice and not dated at all (then again, looks a lot like my 05 f150's did). The exterior isn't ground breaking but looks like it should age well. Paired with the ecoboost, seems like a great idea. Is there any data/experience on the ecos now that they've been out for a while on how long turbos / motors last?

There doesn't really seem to be a viable cutting edge alternative to the two choices presented, is there? Is the sequoia due for a facelift? Maybe if we all wish really hard we can get toyota to drop the cummins motor that they're rumored to put into the tundra in the sequoia too?

The new infiniti QX80 looks pretty sweet in person but there's something about a few of the views that I can't put my finger on that suggest that it WON'T age well.

I'll confess as a 7.3 excursion driver that looking at these plush riding quiet rigs, I'm a little bit envious. Excursion gits it done, but drives like a dump truck.

Edited by shawndoggy

It would be a difficult choice between the Ford and GMC Yukon Denali. I like the looks of the GMC better, but the Ford is probably going to have a better ride and powertrain. What are the specifications on the Eco for this application?

Hard for me to say no to this. IMO the expedition has generally had the same exterior look since '03. Obviously some changes in the front and rear but nothing drastic.

2015-gmc-yukon-denali-front_zps6cab48f8.

Edited by BlknYlwT22
  • Like 2

Hard for me to say no to this. IMO the expedition has generally had the same exterior look since '03. Obviously some changes in the front and rear but nothing drastic.

2015-gmc-yukon-denali-front_zps6cab48f8.

That is sharp! What are they selling for these days?? $70k?

I like the Yukon better - for a vehicle just recently released, they are selling like hot cakes around here. I seem them everywhere!

As for motor choices, the new 5.3L is very different from the old 5.3L and should not be compared. Of course there is the new 6.2L as well......

MSRP on an SLT is low 60s and Denali is right at 70. But if you have access to GM employee or GM supplier there is some discount. The one pictured is probably closer 71-72k because of the 22s. Those numbers are all with the 5.3L. The 6.2 has had limited production since it has been on constraint.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

New Yukon without question! I love the eco-boost motor was great in my previous f150 however the explorer looks like the same explorer from 1995!

I put down a deposit for a new denali this past weekend, and should have it in 6-8 weeks. I second the GM supplier program for any discount. I was able to get a little over 4k off MSRP on the denali.

The Denali is definitely sharp looking. That being said, at that price point you should compare the Navigator to the Denali instead of the Expy, not that the Navigator is any better looking though. I drove a 2015 Yukon on a 8 hour road trip recently. It was nice, but already had a horrible rattle coming from underneath it somewhere. It also feels more "top heavy" than the expeditions I have driven. The GM recalls don't bother me much as I figure they are now making sure they make everything right, but they have soured my wife on GM. With baby #3 on the way we are eyeing a new vehicle with 3rd row seating, and the Acadia as well as all full size SUVs are being considered. If we had to decide today, we would go with the new Expedition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the specifications on the Eco for this application?

Not sure if official ratings are out, but on the Navigator I read it will be at least 370 hp and 430 ft-lbs. I assume it would be the same for the Expy. Someone commented in another thread that it would be detuned in the SUV, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Yukon without question! I love the eco-boost motor was great in my previous f150 however the explorer looks like the same explorer from 1995!

I put down a deposit for a new denali this past weekend, and should have it in 6-8 weeks. I second the GM supplier program for any discount. I was able to get a little over 4k off MSRP on the denali.

Just to point out, this discussion is about the Expedition, not Explorer. And the Expedition wasn't even being produced in 1995.

• Like 2

I can't figure out why Ford is soooo conservative with this sector. It seems as if they would rather let GM have this segment .

My gut feeling is they have been trying to distance themselves from the " gas hog" giant SUV segment, but they are just leaving everyone still interested to choose the GM product.

I think this Expy could have been a huge hit if they just would have made it fall more in line with the 2015 F150 redesign, but what do I know?

For those of you that don't think the GM recall issues are a big deal, I suggest you read up. This has the potential to be HUGE for the automotive industry as a whole. Right now GM is looking at recalling more vehicles than they have built in the last 7 years. Even if, and I mean IF the repair cost 5 bucks, think about how much money that is. Staggering. This does not include any NHTSA fines, federal penalties , or reparations to the families that were injured or killed as a result.

This has the potential to bankrupt them.....yet again. I have even heard some finically advisory reports that may suggest dissolving and selling off of the brands may be the wisest way out. I ant imagine a country with out the GM we know it as, but with some educated reading you will also see how it is entirely possible , especially given the fact that they KNEW of these issues several years ago.

the interior is almost the same as the super duty interior....I wouldn't call it dated. I personally, after seeing the new Yukon and Tahoe in person have zero interest in them. I did like the outgoing design on the exterior a lot better. The front clip is nice on the expo, the bottom lights remind me of a Mercedes ML

I think the interior looks really nice and not dated.

My comments on the Expy being dated refer to the exterior, not the interior. I'm pretty sure I'll like the interior since it appears to be an exact replica of the f150 interior that we love so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I had an Expy, bought it new, looked like it had 150k on the clock when we traded it in at 80k miles. I hear Ford has turned some things around, but cheaping out seemed to be a Ford theme. The "leather" seats were only leather where you touched them, everything else was vinyl, which ended up cracking, not that the cheaply dyed leather seats didn't crumble. And the third row seat was ALL vinyl. Heck, even the steering wheel material, whatever it was, turned to mush for some reason, nasty. I could go on, but don't want to turn this into a bowtie versus blue oval bash. All I would recommend is you take a look at the small details of the newer Fords and be sure the corners aren't cut. I really liked the ride of our Expy. It was smooth and quiet. That is about all the good I can say about it, oh, and the brakes. Very strong braking.

We bought an '08 Suburban LTZ followed by our '10 Denali XL. Each time we went to look at Expeditions and compare. Each time I was turned off by the 5.4L engine (which I'd had in a previous F150 so I knew it was a dog) and the interior, particularly the cheap leather seats you mention. Also the 2nd row captain's chairs were narrow and hard.

All that changed for me with my '13 F150. The leather seats are the best I've ever had. I'm hoping they are the same in the new Expedition.

7208832081x640_zps47c254a0.jpg

7208831969x640_zps851f3ff6.jpg

There doesn't really seem to be a viable cutting edge alternative to the two choices presented, is there? Is the sequoia due for a facelift? Maybe if we all wish really hard we can get toyota to drop the cummins motor that they're rumored to put into the tundra in the sequoia too?

The new infiniti QX80 looks pretty sweet in person but there's something about a few of the views that I can't put my finger on that suggest that it WON'T age well.

I'll confess as a 7.3 excursion driver that looking at these plush riding quiet rigs, I'm a little bit envious. Excursion gits it done, but drives like a dump truck.

I'm not a huge Toyota fan, but would definitely be interested in a redesigned Sequoia. I like the current one, but would rather not buy it with a redesign on the horizon. I'm not sure when it drops and I couldn't find pics of it so my guess is 2016??

The Infinity is a no go... not feeling the lines. Agree with you that it won't age well.

I have considered an Excursion like you have, Shaun. But I remember test driving a brand new one back in 2004 and thinking it was loud and harsh back then. I don't imagine they improve with age. So in ky mind the Expedition would only work as part of a two car solution (i.e. not as a daily driver).

I have considered an Excursion like you have, Shaun. But I remember test driving a brand new one back in 2004 and thinking it was loud and harsh back then. I don't imagine they improve with age. So in ky mind the Expedition would only work as part of a two car solution (i.e. not as a daily driver).

Yeah, I kept my civic si, and probably drive it 80% of the time in town. Try to drive the Ex a day or two a week at least. It's not a fun vehicle in a parking garage!

I like the Yukon better - for a vehicle just recently released, they are selling like hot cakes around here. I seem them everywhere!

As for motor choices, the new 5.3L is very different from the old 5.3L and should not be compared. Of course there is the new 6.2L as well......

MSRP on an SLT is low 60s and Denali is right at 70. But if you have access to GM employee or GM supplier there is some discount. The one pictured is probably closer 71-72k because of the 22s. Those numbers are all with the 5.3L. The 6.2 has had limited production since it has been on constraint.

Glad this topic came up... Both price and engine choice.

PRICE - the Denali 4WD with all the goodies is actually $75k mspr, and deals are hard to come by. Mind you that's $20k more than I paid for our current Denali XL. The Tahoe LTZ or Yukon SLT are $65k on the sticker. That is actually $25m more than I paid for my Suburban LTZ just 6 years ago. What's next...? A $100k American SUV?? This is very hard for me to swallow which is the main reason I'm looking else where.

One thing I've considered just to keep the price down is just getting a Tahoe or Yukon "LT" in black. MSPR is mid $50's but I've seen dealers start to advertise them at $50k. Then I'd put some aftermarket 22s on it, tint the windows, and call it a day. That brings me to my next dilemma...

ENGINES: the entire reason I upgraded from the Sub to the Denali in 2010 was to get the 6.2. I was super disappointed in the 5.3 as a tow vehicle, especially on long road trips over mountain passes. And back then I was towing a 21' MB. The Denali has been so much better (not diesel, but still noticeably better than the old 5.3). So I'm a little hesitant to go back to a 5.3 (albeit a redesigned one) for fear that I'll get to "relearn" that same lesson. Keep in mind, my boat has grown considerably since then. The new 5.3 would be better as my wife's daily driver, and I'm sure it would be fine for 95% of my towing (local). But could it hack the trek to Shasta (once a year)? Lately I've been of the mindset that I shouldn't optimize for something we do once a year... get the 5.3, save the money, put a tranny cooler on it (if necessary), get over to the right lane in the mountains, and just take it slow.

What are your thoughts on the GM's new 5.3 towing the LSV? Especially interested in hearing BlknYlwT22's take.

martinarcher

I will try and keep my Excursion for the long run. I honestly hope I can keep that vehicle for another 10-15 years. I just can't see anything out there that could replace it and me be anywhere close to as pleased as I am with this thing. 20mpg daily, 16 towing the boat, diesel towing power, massive amounts of room for peeps going boating with us or hauling bikes on group rides, it's just perfect for what I want in a truck. As far as the rough ride and noisy engine, I added straight pipes to the Ex and the Bu....I'm the kind of guy that wants to here the ponies under the hood. With a 1 ton chassis, it sure rides like a truck and I expect that. I can also haul things comfortably that a 1/2 ton SUV would struggle with. It just comes down to what you want it to be capable of vs comfort. I recently went on a work trip and rented a Denali to haul some gear out to another facility that I needed to run a test. Part of it was a pallet of steel plate that weighed around $1k. I honestly was gad to arrive safely with the load....that truck swayed so bad with that amount of weight in the rear. My Ex would chuckle at that little pallet.

I need to pull Shawn's move and buy a little commuter car to keep miles off the Ex so I can make it last a lot longer. I put too many miles on a year!

As far as the Ecoboost reliability on the engine and turbo, I thought Bobby as working for Ford and seen almost no issues with that power plant since it's introduction. I know what I have read and the guys I know that drive them, they have been very solid power plants while putting out an very impressive amount of power.

He needs a 5 star tune if he doesn't have one already. You think it's mean stock, with an extra 110 ft lbs on tap on 87 octane.....MAN.

If I was looking for a dual duty tow rig, regardless of styling the ECO EXPY is was I would shoot for....with a custom tune.

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1