Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Eco boost towing question?

liquidrider

The Ecoboost F-150 is the ultimate boat tow vehicle, hands down. It will tow your boat straight up the interstate at 75 mph, at 10 mpg all day long. Now brace yourself for the 5.0 guys, the 6.2 debaters, the diesel crowd, the tundra believers, followed by the foreign suv drivers and the one guy who tows with a prius.

edit: and the dodge guy.

Edited by old skool malibu

Not sure? Our 5.0L F150 gets around 15, my LML Duramax work truck gets 22 and my old F350 7.3 crewcab longbox got 16.

Well thats my point. Everyone is ecstatic about their Ecoboost getting 12 on the highway towing and Im scratching my head wondering why that is considered good....

Oh lol.

Does anybody know if they level the trucks out before they leave the factory? Most new trucks have the rake where they are maybe 2-3" higher at the back.......but most of the new F150s including ours is perfectly level.

Well thats my point. Everyone is ecstatic about their Ecoboost getting 12 on the highway towing and Im scratching my head wondering why that is considered good....

I was thinking the same thing.

Ford needs to build a 5.0 Ecoboost for the Super duty. Bring back the Excursion.

Ram needs to build a full size 3/4 ton and 1 ton SUV with the Cummins 6.7.

Toyota Prius needs a 5000lbs tow rating.

Edited by CumminsBu
Not sure? Our 5.0L F150 gets around 15, my LML Duramax work truck gets 22 and my old F350 7.3 crewcab longbox got 16.

You get these numbers while towing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eco's get goof fuel economy if you can keep out of the throttle some. Also any vehicle starts suffering over 65 MPH it all in aero. Look at coefficients of drag. Two things make HP. Fuel & Air.

• Like 2
Does anybody know if they level the trucks out before they leave the factory? Most new trucks have the rake where they are maybe 2-3" higher at the back.......but most of the new F150s including ours is perfectly level.

Yes the trucks do sit for some time but I have not seen any rake on the trucks coming off the line.

The F150's come from the factory with about a 2" rake. If you are seeing any that are level it's either because the owner installed a leveling kit or your eyes are playing tricks on you.

My '13 F150 Limited Ecoboost has a 2.5" level in the front and a 1.5" lift in the back and is riding on 34" Goodyear Duratracs. When it was all said and done I ended up with 3/4" of rake, which is still barely noticeable when unloaded but perfectly level when towing the boat.

D7K_6238_zpsaaedd4f3.jpg

D7K_6235_zpsb9f880d2.jpg

D7K_6236_zps9c2e7399.jpg

20140507_171944_zpszpgjmmr5.jpg

20140507_172100_zpsoqnsj9dr.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up the truck last night towed the boat this morning and was completely impressed with the Eco Boost. Now for the bad I've had a dang voltage fault on and off all year. The dealer said I had bad batteries so I bought two new ones. Took the boat out today and it would not go over 5mph. It's acting like a pedal position sensor. Just went through this with my 54 chevy that we installed a 5.3 engine in. Boats off to the dealer. Last year it was a trans temp sensor now this getting old from a new boat with 100hours. I really miss my 2003 vlx right about now.

The F150's come from the factory with about a 2" rake. If you are seeing any that are level it's either because the owner installed a leveling kit or your eyes are playing tricks on you.

My '13 F150 Limited Ecoboost has a 2.5" level in the front and a 1.5" lift in the back and is riding on 34" Goodyear Duratracs. When it was all said and done I ended up with 3/4" of rake, which is still barely noticeable when unloaded but perfectly level when towing the boat.

D7K_6238_zpsaaedd4f3.jpg

D7K_6235_zpsb9f880d2.jpg

D7K_6236_zps9c2e7399.jpg

20140507_171944_zpszpgjmmr5.jpg

20140507_172100_zpsoqnsj9dr.jpg

whats your mpg towing in a no-bs numerical total....

whats your mpg towing in a no-bs numerical total....

No clue. Haven't towed it that far from the home riding spot yet (our ramp is only 5 miles away) and haven't had the computer reset to account for the larger tires.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about mpg's while towing. It's the day to day mpg that bugs me. Biggest disappointment about the Ecoboost is that it's more Boost than it is Eco.

Now before you go chastising me for the lift and tires, mind you that I only did that after 6 months of getting 14.4 mpg in mixed driving. I finally just said, "screw it, might as well look good sucking down the petrol. "

No clue. Haven't towed it that far from the home riding spot yet (our ramp is only 5 miles away) and haven't had the computer reset to account for the larger tires.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about mpg's while towing. It's the day to day mpg that bugs me. Biggest disappointment about the Ecoboost is that it's more Boost than it is Eco.

Now before you go chastising me for the lift and tires, mind you that I only did that after 6 months of getting 14.4 mpg in mixed driving. I finally just said, "screw it, might as well look good sucking down the petrol. "

Oh Im not chastising you, in fact I applaud your decision because I cannot figure out why everyone is giving the EcoBoost high marks for mileage. Sure, its a nice looking truck and it probably tows well but I dont but a truck for the great gas mileage if I plan on hauling and towing most of the time.

• Like 2

The fuel mileage thing around here is hilarious. It's never ever been a consideration for me. Would it be great if I could get 30 mpg towing 8k lbs... Sure, but it's out of reality currently.

I don't daily my trucks...... Fuel mileage sucks... It's a given no matter what emblem is on the front.

I don't worry about what fuel mileage my 65k dollar truck gets towing my 100k dollar boat. There is no magic bullet out there. Everything is so close in comparison no one is light years better than the other, so there is no reason to think , or waist my brain cells worrying about it.

The " Eco" in the boost CAN get the rated fuel mileage. It takes diligence, a light foot and no TOWING or hills.i haven't seen a vehicle yet that has a specific "tow" fuel economy rating. It should also be known that the fuel economy ratings are not tested on each specific vehicle configuration. I don't have any "dilengence" when driving my truck. My Eco got an average of 13.8 for its lifetime. Well below it's rated mileage.......but man, it pulled like a tractor.

I think marketing and the fact that people " want " to believe that they are gonna get stellar mileage out of an 5600 lb rig is where the ecoboost got off track. It's a great platform, but I would never by one based on the mileage rating alone.

My brother has a 2015 Expedition on order. Its going to be something to see whether it does as good as the V8 The 2015 will all be eco I don't even know if you can opt for the V8 anymore. I will not be surprised if it does not do any better. He gets 18mpg every day 10 to 12 towing depending on speed.

Our Ecoboost, with the numbers I posted earlier, gets about 1 MPG better on average than our old 5.4. Towing is about the same. It'd be nice to get better, but I agree, that isn't why we own a truck.

What I really laugh at here is the fuel economy on the boats here. Again, better would be nice, but gas is probably the cheapest part of our hobby. LOL

Will be interesting to see what the new tow rating standard (J2807) does to all the 1/2 ton trucks. Remember when you could buy a 1 ton dually with a 350? Seems to me that a safe tow rating would be more about chassis and braking control than a lightweight vehicle with a high hp/torque rating. Do you have enough truck to stop the trailer if the trailer brakes give out or do you wipe out everyone in front of you?

Here are my actual numbers from my first long tow. 2013 f150 4x4 5.0 3:55 rear gear.

Left the swamp land of lafayette, la 387 miles later fueled up north of little rock, ar. 387 miles 29 gallons used 13.34 mpg. I was in no hurry so i didnt exceed 70 mph on interstates or posted speed limits. Fwiw, i get 16.8 all around driving and have avg. 19.5 on highway only trips.

Ecoboost may be great for some folks but not me. I love the sound of my V8, eb sounds like a v6 and drives like on until you really mash it. Perhaps the ecoboosts i have driven didnt have the gearing i like. I just wasnt impressed by them.

I well know that ethanol has less btu than gas but the proof is in the numbers (and seat of my pants).

On my return trip i had to fuel up with gas containing up to 10% ethanol and my mpg dropped to 11.9. I also could tell that the truck downshifted on inclines more often.

Food for fuel sucks!!

• 1 month later...

I had a 2013 fx4 Eco it towed my lsv like a dream, it had the 3.73 gears and the air raid intake. I never got over 15mpg unloaded.

My father-in law has 2013 2wd with the 5.0 and commonly gets over 15. I think a lot boils down to 2wd vs 4wd and what gears.

I sold it earlier this year and got a 2015 denali with the 6.2. I still think the Eco pulled the lsv better.

I will be watching the new aluminum EBs very closely. Seems like they have ironed out most of the EB issues. Interested to see how the dropped weight translates to towing capacity with Ford finally complies to the new SAE towing standards.

However... IMO.....

Will be hard.... Very hard to beat a Cummins Tundra/Titan here shortly. Est 25mpg+. I don't see the Dodge Fiat diesel as a serious tow truck for 7-10k loads.