Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Eco boost towing question?

liquidrider

I hate to post another trailering question but how we'll does the Eco boost do trailering a boat 50 miles on the interstate? We make the trip every weekend and want something strong to yow it.

You can find bad press on every truck out there. If you like the way it looks, and the cost, go for it. I'm one of those Tundra believers :)

• Like 3

I've heard good things about the eco boost and don't think you'd have issues towing. That being said, I would at least take a look at the new RAMs though :) I was about to purchase a new F-150 in December but am SOOO glad I looked at the RAMs before I did (I almost didn't even look at them). The interior quality, additional features offered, etc blows the F-150 out of the water... not even close. I ended up with a 2014 RAM Laramie and am getting 15+mpg with the 8 speed transmission... with a 5.7 HEMI. Sometimes I forget the boat is back there ;-)

Edited by crispywake
  • Like 4

If I wasn't lucky enough to have a daily driver and a tow vehicle, I'd have the eco boost. As it stands, I'm one of the Prius drivers with a F250 Diesel for towing.

Yeah I wouldn't put the ecoboost over a diesel...unless cost is the factor. Diesel will get better mileage....tow better and brake better. Depending on the boat though a Eco boost will do just fine. We have an ecoboost in my wife's SUV....very fun engine. Although the overall gas mileage isn't great. Plus...diesel and gas are the same cost here and premium is quite a bit more so that argument is not valid.

A future V-8 Eco boost may give the diesel crowd a run for the money, but I will stick with my inline six for now.

Edited by CumminsBu

I tow my 14 23 LSV down interstate doing 75-80 mph in 6th gear most of the time. It will down shift on hills, but holds speed fine. Best tow vehicle I have owned. I don't have the max tow package either, just the 3.55 gears.

I own a 6.2 powered F-150 but have to concede that the Eco boost is a better tow engine and probably the best performance wise of all the 1/2 ton offerings. I have towed with both and the eco shifts less and has a better torque curve for towing.

I used to be a diesel guy, but I don't think they are a good value unless you are towing over 10,000 lbs on a regular basis. They ride rough, too big to park, fuel is expensive, and cost an extra 7 to 10k upfront.

Edited by Tims
  • Like 2

I test drove an Eco 3-4 times over the past year or so and then drove the new Chevy (big disappointment) and then drove a '14 Tundra. Don't get me wrong, the Eco is nice but at $8-10k less for an equivalent truck and much better resale value, the Tundra won for me. I tried, I really tried to talk myself into the Eco but just couldn't justify the increase in price and issues that I'd seen from the Fords.

That being said, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the towing of the Eco, but take your time and get what you want regardless of what we have to say!

Edited by Rznhales
  • Like 2

Eco boost is beast. Extremely solid, and there isn't much in the 1/2 infield that can get very close to the towing prowess it has .

6.7 PSD is plain over the wall. Not much can contend with 880 ft lbs of torque on tap, but it does come with the consequences of stiffer ride and larger overall frame.

Just a tow rig....PSD..... All around driver AND tow rig Eco is hard to beat.

The ecoboost will tow any malibu without breaking a sweat. EPA MPG ratings are unrealistic for the majority of drivers, but with the power that the motor makes, it is hard to complain. (we are averaging ~13.5MPG around town with 35" tires) Yes, a diesel will tow better than any 1/2 ton, but the ecoboost has more than enough power to get your job done.

Other than the upfront cost though....I don't really see why a diesel isn't an option for most because of "fuel". In our area diesel is 3.69 a gallon....regular is 3.65 as of today and super is 3.92. Oil changes are a bit more because it holds a lot more oil but DIY is well under 100 bucks...and a fuel filter $55 every 10k miles. If we are comparing to the Eco-boost which I love as stated above.....if a turbo goes out they are equally expensive.

Parking is easy in middle America....I wouldn't own one in LA but that is another story. We have a toy hauler so that is why we went diesel but even with a 24mxz or g25 I would want a 2500 or better even has just for braking when towing any sort of distance. It isn't required but it sure makes you feel better.

Ecoboost runs on regular unlead, it's less expensive than a diesel to purchase and service. Turbo is a warranty problem.

Otherwise No argument from me on the hierarchy. Diesel is the best pull but that is not what the OP asked about.

That is true he didn't ask...it jus got brought up early that it was the best all around truck etc....I do think the ecoboost is great. However, plenty are out of warranty now.....and some have had turbo issues. S have the powerstrokes. That is the only reason I brought it up.

Best all round truck is a diesel from one of the big three, big iron all the way. I have had two, if you want to tow a fifth wheel or anything else heavy, or even a boat over Donner Pass, UofM and Kiwi are correct.

If you don't want in the game at that level, the ecoboost does a good job. Yes it has expensive parts and dead turbos can cost, but neither my duramax nor my cummins were any different.

So with those qualifications, the F150 Ecoboost will have no problem towing a boat down the interstate. Compared to the duramax that I killed and the dodge cummins that I wore out, and the half dozen half ton trucks I have had, (with 5.3s and 6.2s,) and not having driven a Dodge hemi or a tundra lately, I will stick with my comment that ecoboost is the bomb to tow only a boat.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

I went diesel and I don't think I'm gonna go back. 800 ft lb of torque is awesome. Not necessary but awesome. Yes it's a pain to park but I don't drive it down town.

• Like 3

^ . This is exactly where I was at.

I had a 2012 platinum ecoboost 150, and was an amazing truck. Towed a boat amazing. I have been kicking around a few ideas in the next year or two and wanted something that is ultimately capable to handle just about anything I want to throw at it in the next few years, and the 150 was not that truck. I have never daily driven my tow rig, so it was not about overall comfort, but more about capability.

That being said, after towing with the 6.7l, I'm pretty sure the the the 3.5 Eco, is a byproduct , expelled from the tail pipes of the PSD.

^ . This is exactly where I was at.

I had a 2012 platinum ecoboost 150, and was an amazing truck. Towed a boat amazing. I have been kicking around a few ideas in the next year or two and wanted something that is ultimately capable to handle just about anything I want to throw at it in the next few years, and the 150 was not that truck. I have never daily driven my tow rig, so it was not about overall comfort, but more about capability.

That being said, after towing with the 6.7l, I'm pretty sure the the the 3.5 Eco, is a byproduct , expelled from the tail pipes of the PSD.

Did you get the new 6.7 with upgraded turbo? If so, what are the official power numbers now? Crazy how much torque they have stock now.

440 hp and 880 ft lbs..... Published anyways. Whisper quiet to boot.

It's unreal. And tracking an average combined of 15.5mpg. With some towing. Won't get that for long, I have a knack for screwing that all up with lifts and bigger tires. I'm not capable of leaving ANYTHING alone.

Already did tint, linex, and amp steps. Lift is in , wheels and tires mounted tomorrow and I am hoping to get enough free time to get the lift put on tomorrow night.

• Like 1