Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Eco boost towing question?

liquidrider

Did I misread the OP question here? If more is always better then why not just get a Freightliner or Kenworth Cab as that would surely out pull a pickup truck?

You gassers get all worked up too easy... :yahoo:

I'm not going to disagree with you about the ecoboost being a better every day truck, my point was that a gas truck regardless of specs will never tow like a diesel.

just curious what kind of mileage are you getting out of the ecoboost towing?

We own a construction company and always have anywhere from 18-20 trucks, so I have had the privilege of trying a little bit of everything. I thought about trading my 13' 1500 Sierra Denali 6.2 last year for a 14 ecoboost platinum. I tow 150 miles round trip every weekend as well as around town 20-30 miles 2-3 times a week. I used an ecoboost last year for a couple weeks and while it was better than most trucks it wasn't really any different than my 6.2.

I'm in the process of trading my truck for a 14 f250 6.7 right now, and we currently have ford 7.3s, a 6.0 powerstroke, and a couple 2014 duramax trucks... I feel like I'm just as knowledgeable as anyone else.

point taken if your truck works for you than that's awesome, but a gas truck will never tow like a diesel.

I'm getting around 10-11 mpg towing. Slowing down helps the mileage significantly. A major selling factor for me on the F150 was the size of the gas tank. It is large enough for me to forget how painful it is on my wallet between fill ups.

I'm not going to disagree with you about the ecoboost being a better every day truck, my point was that a gas truck regardless of specs will never tow like a diesel.

just curious what kind of mileage are you getting out of the ecoboost towing?

We own a construction company and always have anywhere from 18-20 trucks, so I have had the privilege of trying a little bit of everything. I thought about trading my 13' 1500 Sierra Denali 6.2 last year for a 14 ecoboost platinum. I tow 150 miles round trip every weekend as well as around town 20-30 miles 2-3 times a week. I used an ecoboost last year for a couple weeks and while it was better than most trucks it wasn't really any different than my 6.2.

I'm in the process of trading my truck for a 14 f250 6.7 right now, and we currently have ford 7.3s, a 6.0 powerstroke, and a couple 2014 duramax trucks... I feel like I'm just as knowledgeable as anyone else.

point taken if your truck works for you than that's awesome, but a gas truck will never tow like a diesel.

I agree and submit to the diesel is better club. Just saying there are always trade offs.

My Ecoboost has the 3.72(3?) rear end and 4x4, it gets an honest 10.1 mpg towing on the highway. 17.5 to 18 mpg hwy, and 13 or so city only. Most of my driving averages out to 15-16 mpg.

This was the screen shot at the end of a trip pulling my boat to arkansas and back, on I-30 which is basically flat. Truck and boat loaded for the week. Not much different mpg towing than the year before towing with the denali 6.2, other than the ecoboost tows at a lower rpm and a higher gear.

edit: the screen shot maybe from the 2012 trip, 2011 was with the denali

F6D41329-83E6-4093-9170-F108618E78B1_zps

Edited by Bozboat

Thanks for the info on the MPG, it's hard to beat 10 towing in a gas! I normally average 7-8 in my denali or the ecoboost... and 10-12 in the diesels. power difference is night and day though.

how does the around town mileage of the ecoboost compare to your denali? I'm average 15-16 around town in mine but don't really bet much better than that on the highway unless I slow down.

I use this ecoboost to tow my 23' Malibu. It easily cruises at 70+ if you choose to do so in tow mode (which locks out 6th and tow in 5th). Turns about 2300-2400 RPM @ 70 and gets around 12 MPG on the freeway when towing. And can drag race Mustangs and Camaros when not towing! :-) Gets 23-24 MPG when not towing on the freeway road trips.

21K miles in and running and towing flawlessly.

DSC_0126.jpg

And the Eco is detuned in the suv , not a lot but some. The 2015 Expedition will come with the Eco and I bet it will be the same as the F-150. I would think the transmission is the factor.

I use this ecoboost to tow my 23' Malibu. It easily cruises at 70+ if you choose to do so in tow mode (which locks out 6th and tow in 5th). Turns about 2300-2400 RPM @ 70 and gets around 12 MPG on the freeway when towing. And can drag race Mustangs and Camaros when not towing! :-) Gets 23-24 MPG when not towing on the freeway road trips.

21K miles in and running and towing flawlessly.

DSC_0126.jpg

Wow that's really good mileage. Most people have been only getting 16-17 on the freeway that I have talked to.

Just finished a lake trip (about 8 hours round trip) and our ecoboost averaged 10.8 mpg for the trip, running 70+ most of the time, with part of the trip through the Ozark Mountains. This was with our VLX in tow and all the gear for a week at the lake. And fwiw, mine has never locked out 6th in tow mode. It just holds rpms longer before shifting and uses the engine to brake more.

We usually average about 16-17 mpg for our everyday driving. Best I have seen on ours was 22 mpg on a flat highway trip running about 60 mph.

Oh, and all this using 87 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you are only towing 50 miles I seriously doubt you will want more truck unless you have other things to haul. You will get better mileage out of a diesel pulling heavy loads, but why spend the money on one if you don't need it.

I've got 61,000 miles on my ecoboost F150. It's got the HD tow package with the big mirrors, the 3.73 rear end, etc. When towing at freeway speeds, I'm getting the same kind of MPG as Boz. It's a great powertrain for towing in a gasser. If you're not towing long distances, not planning on towing in excess of 10,000#, the ecoboost is a winner.

I've got 61,000 miles on my ecoboost F150. It's got the HD tow package with the big mirrors, the 3.73 rear end, etc. When towing at freeway speeds, I'm getting the same kind of MPG as Boz. It's a great powertrain for towing in a gasser. If you're not towing long distances, not planning on towing in excess of 10,000#, the ecoboost is a winner.

That 10k number is crazy talk my friend.

Good morning,

I just went through this myself...after driving all the gassers I narrowed it down to the F150 Platinum EcoBoost and the Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 L Hemi with the 8 Speed...I ended up ordering the Ram, I just picked it up last week and so far so good, awesome truck...

Both nice trucks, both will tow your boat, but do yourself a favour and drive them all and find the one that is best for you...for me the interior of the Ram is above the rest and the UConnect 8.4 system is awesome, and I like the V8 and the 8 Speed is great...and finally the Ram Box is a big seller for me, love it...I am hooking on tomorrow and taking the truck and boat out both for there maiden voyages...I will be sure to report back Monday on the first Tow with the Ram as well as the first splash with the 23 LSV!! :clap:

That said my partner has a 2014 EcoBoost FX4, has had it for 3 months without issue and likes it a lot, he has not towed much with it yet so I can't help you there...

Good luck with your truck shopping.

Yeah but it won't pull that well, at all.

Which is true of the top end of any tow rating - regardless of brand. If you are buying a truck for a particular load, hopefully you are buying something where your load is max 2/3 of rating.

My wife has a 2013 fx4 crew cab with an eco boost, I recently lifted 6.5inches and put a livernous tune with intake, thermostat, and exhaust. Not only will it out tow most v8's it will run like a scalded dog when you place it in performance mode. Don't get me wrong my work truck is a 6.7 psd and it is amazing but I do love my eco boost. Fuel price shouldn't be a consideration you always need to run premium fuel in anything with high compression or force induction. Where I live that usually means diesel is cheaper. Towing the boat I get a little better than 12 mpg.

I went with a new platnium edition Eco Boost 150. Just couldn't bring myself to look at a dodge. Really liked the gmc but they would not deal.