Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Eco boost towing question?

liquidrider

I drive a diesel for work on a daily basis. I wouldn't trade my Ecoboost for this F-250 not ever unless I was towing over 10k all the time. My little v-6 pulls way harder than my last f-150 that had the 5.4 v8 and even with poor towing fuel mileage the ecoboost is awesome to tow with. I know everyone thinks their trucks are the best and trust me I am a fan of all nice pickup trucks cause each one has some cool stuff my ford doesn't (I don't know what, but I'm sure there are some things) but even the haters can't deny the fact that that little v-6 gives the biggest v-8 a run for it's money. Then it'll out tow all of them....and eat as much gas as a big v-8 :)

Ok. I drive just about every kind of truck for work. Basically, all modern trucks are awesome but... diesels expel soot. Our company's '08 f250 cleans the exhaust way too often and it blackens the trailers and if you are following it you can smell it for a mile with the windows up. The best truck I ever owned was an '02 chevy 6.0. sold it with 360k on it and it ran as strong as new despite 10 years of relentless abuse. No major problems ever, just maintenance and a fuel pump. I regularly overloaded it and off roaded it. My buddy has an ecoboost. It is pretty nice, but to me it seems a little small. I'm just used to heavy duty trucks. It seems to me that gas engines are lasting a really long time now and diesels are crazy expensive to repair, a pain to find fuel sometimes, and not worth it unless you need it. They're more like hotrods now.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned but Ram EcoDiesel. 1/2 ton pickup 420 lbs of torque and oh ya I'm averaging 26 mpg. I have only had it a few weeks, but I am really impressed so far. It has a 4 link in the rear so towing capacity is only about 8k lbs, but the every day ride is much smoother this way.

I've heard good things about the eco boost and don't think you'd have issues towing. That being said, I would at least take a look at the new RAMs though :) I was about to purchase a new F-150 in December but am SOOO glad I looked at the RAMs before I did (I almost didn't even look at them). The interior quality, additional features offered, etc blows the F-150 out of the water... not even close. I ended up with a 2014 RAM Laramie and am getting 15+mpg with the 8 speed transmission... with a 5.7 HEMI. Sometimes I forget the boat is back there ;-)

crispy, the 8 speed is something isn't it? I drove one in a 3.6 durango and was shocked how well that thing drove. Friend just traded his ecoboost for a 2014 hemi w 8 speed says better mileage, better drive, better towing, and like you was shocked at how far the Ram has come. Yes I'm a Ram owning, very pleased, fanboy.

EDIT: We at low elevation, I can see that the ecoboost will probably easily outpull the hemi at elevation.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

2016 Tundra is supposed to get a 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel V8. Toyota 1/2 ton build quality and comfort with a Cummins power plant, best of both worlds. They will probably be out in late 2015 which is only about 16 months away. I would wait so you can test drive the new Cummins Tundra and Ecoboost back to back to see which you like better.

Both Nisan Titan and the Tundra will get a Cummins Diesel. Nissan supposed to get it next year and Tundra expected to get the same Cummins power plant next in 2016. I want to know why Dodge ditched the Cummins in the 1500 and went with the Fiat diesel?

Both Nisan Titan and the Tundra will get a Cummins Diesel. Nissan supposed to get it next year and Tundra expected to get the same Cummins power plant next in 2016. I want to know why Dodge ditched the Cummins in the 1500 and went with the Fiat diesel?

Because Fiat owns Chrysler and they want to keep their factories busy. Makes perfect sense.

I am excited to see the performance of the new Cummins 5.0

I maybe don't see the thrill in the 1/2 diesel other than mileage. Now mileage is awesome with them.....but towing wise, the torque is the same or less than some v8 gas engines. I also don't know what the extra cost for the diesel is....can anyone answer that for the 1/2 ton?

I maybe don't see the thrill in the 1/2 diesel other than mileage. Now mileage is awesome with them.....but towing wise, the torque is the same or less than some v8 gas engines. I also don't know what the extra cost for the diesel is....can anyone answer that for the 1/2 ton?

$3000 over the hemi.

Regardless of what manufacturer you choose, at least with a new vehicle you can get warranty service at ANY dealer regardless of where you buy it.

Edited by bunji169

You are right that the Ram ecodiesel only has 420 lb-ft which is right inline with what many of the gas V8's are already getting, so not as appealing to me. But the new Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel is supposed to have just over 500 lb-ft of torque, which would be awesome in a 1/2 ton Tundra package.

Edited by Brett B

The Ecoboost F-150 is the ultimate boat tow vehicle, hands down. It will tow your boat straight up the interstate at 75 mph, at 10 mpg all day long. Now brace yourself for the 5.0 guys, the 6.2 debaters, the diesel crowd, the tundra believers, followed by the foreign suv drivers and the one guy who tows with a prius.

edit: and the dodge guy.

Yeah because the 420lbs of torque of a v6 gas engine is way better than the 860lbs of torque out of a diesel engine.

If you want the ultimate tow vehicle buy a diesel, if you want a nice compromise buy a gas truck.

I've towed owned a 6.2 chevy, ecoboost, and a diesel... I won't ever go back to gas for towing... and the ecoboost would be last on my list.

You are right that the Ram ecodiesel only has 420 lb-ft which is right inline with what many of the gas V8's are already getting, so not as appealing to me. But the new Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel is supposed to have just over 500 lb-ft of torque, which would be awesome in a 1/2 ton Tundra package.

The Hemi is 390hp with 407tq. Can't see the point of spending 3K to get very little extra perf and very little fuel $$ savings once you figure in the price differential gas/diesel and add in the price of DEF

The Hemi is 390hp with 407tq. Can't see the point of spending 3K to get very little extra perf and very little fuel $$ savings once you figure in the price differential gas/diesel and add in the price of DEF

Problem is your just looking at specs, Diesels make their power down low... they don't search for gears and down shift on every little hill...

Problem is your just looking at specs, Diesels make their power down low... they don't search for gears and down shift on every little hill...

Neither does my Hemi - ever driven one? While mine only has the 6 speed trans, I have no issues with hunting. The 8 speeds are supposed to be even better.

I'm also skeptical that the 3.0L will be around long term. Chrysler has tried and failed with small diesels before.

Edited by oldjeep

If you are a combined 10mpg better, and fuel costs approx $4 per gallon, you save about $100 a month and thus get "in the money" after about three years (assuming a $3K buy-in price). The duration gets shorter as fuel prices rise or you drive more miles.

You are right that that doesn't factor in more expensive maintenance protocols though.

If you are a combined 10mpg better, and fuel costs approx $4 per gallon, you save about $100 a month and thus get "in the money" after about three years (assuming a $3K buy-in price). The duration gets shorter as fuel prices rise or you drive more miles.

You are right that that doesn't factor in more expensive maintenance protocols though.

An actual combined 10MPG better would be phenomenal, but no where near what they are even claiming mileage wise. They are only claiming around 6MPG better than the hemi mileage and a lower tow rating.

You also have the .20 price difference between gas and diesel so you need 5% or so better mileage just to break even on the fuel price.

Edited by oldjeep

I'm sorry but I have driven lots of half ton trucks, none of them will tow 7-10k lbs down the interstate at 70 and not down shift constantly. Not to mention when you get into the mountains...

You like your dodge and if it works for you that is all that matters, but you can't compare specs on gas vs diesel it's just not a fair comparison.

I'm sorry but I have driven lots of half ton trucks, none of them will tow 7-10k lbs down the interstate at 70 and not down shift constantly. Not to mention when you get into the mountains...

You like your dodge and if it works for you that is all that matters, but you can't compare specs on gas vs diesel it's just not a fair comparison.

I agree - luckily I don't own a 7-10K boat ;) Thought we were talking about trucks for towing Malibu's here. not what you should tow your front end loader with.

I agree - luckily I don't own a 7-10K boat ;) Thought we were talking about trucks for towing Malibu's here. not what you should tow your front end loader with.

My boat weighed in right at 6k with fuel, and it drags like a front end loader that weights 8k with all those speakers on the tower :rofl:

I hate to post another trailering question but how we'll does the Eco boost do trailering a boat 50 miles on the interstate? We make the trip every weekend and want something strong to yow it.

Seems this conversation has forgotten what the op has asked of the crew. I don't own an eco boost, but my dad does and I know he has been satisfied with the power and drive of it although the fuel mileage is nowhere near what they claim. For your situation I think any newer half ton truck/suv would do the job just fine.

• Like 2

I am not going to disagree that a diesel is a better tow vehicle. It is. For the person that tows on the weekends during the summer months, like me, the ecoboost is currently a better option for me. Just a hunch, but I'm willing to bet that my 2014 23 LSV fully loaded is getting close to 8000lbs. It is for sure north of 7000. My ecoboost with 3.55 gears will to my boat at 75 - 80 mph in 6th gear, only to downshift on the steeper inclines to 5th. I can't justify spending more money on a diesel when I only tow my boat during the summer months.

• Like 2

Yeah because the 420lbs of torque of a v6 gas engine is way better than the 860lbs of torque out of a diesel engine.

If you want the ultimate tow vehicle buy a diesel, if you want a nice compromise buy a gas truck.

I've towed owned a 6.2 chevy, ecoboost, and a diesel... I won't ever go back to gas for towing... and the ecoboost would be last on my list.

Did I misread the OP question here? If more is always better then why not just get a Freightliner or Kenworth Cab as that would surely out pull a pickup truck?

kenworth-w900-02_zpsf10263b5.jpg

Did I misread the OP question here? If more is always better then why not just get a Freightliner or Kenworth Cab as that would surely out pull a pickup truck?

kenworth-w900-02_zpsf10263b5.jpg

Boz, clearly whoever bought that to pull a 6,000# boat has never driven a locomotive. Once you go loco, you can never go back to kenworth for towing 30 minutes to the lake. #rookies, #mydieselhasmoretorquethanyourdiesel

Can you even imagine how much more squat he will have with 500#s tongue weight! Macks are so much better than that kenworth, they have like 2% more torque but its usable down to 2000. No contest. No one could use that kenworth to tow a boat that could have come with a single axle trailer. Seriously can you imagine the bob that that truck would have with a single axle trailer? I would never feel safe. Would have to upgrade the tires immediately so that the load rating is at least 100x the forseeable weight.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I am not going to disagree that a diesel is a better tow vehicle. It is. For the person that tows on the weekends during the summer months, like me, the ecoboost is currently a better option for me. Just a hunch, but I'm willing to bet that my 2014 23 LSV fully loaded is getting close to 8000lbs. It is for sure north of 7000. My ecoboost with 3.55 gears will to my boat at 75 - 80 mph in 6th gear, only to downshift on the steeper inclines to 5th. I can't justify spending more money on a diesel when I only tow my boat during the summer months.

I'm not going to disagree with you about the ecoboost being a better every day truck, my point was that a gas truck regardless of specs will never tow like a diesel.

just curious what kind of mileage are you getting out of the ecoboost towing?

We own a construction company and always have anywhere from 18-20 trucks, so I have had the privilege of trying a little bit of everything. I thought about trading my 13' 1500 Sierra Denali 6.2 last year for a 14 ecoboost platinum. I tow 150 miles round trip every weekend as well as around town 20-30 miles 2-3 times a week. I used an ecoboost last year for a couple weeks and while it was better than most trucks it wasn't really any different than my 6.2.

I'm in the process of trading my truck for a 14 f250 6.7 right now, and we currently have ford 7.3s, a 6.0 powerstroke, and a couple 2014 duramax trucks... I feel like I'm just as knowledgeable as anyone else.

point taken if your truck works for you than that's awesome, but a gas truck will never tow like a diesel.