Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PCM Motors in 2015?

DatTexasBoy

http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Marine-Engine/20293/527246-Impeller-4.3-8.1-Johnson-Pump/

marineenginedepot.com is the parts site for MP motors. If you goto the marinepowerusa.com site there is an icon at the bottom of the page. They have jabsco inpellers too.

Right, but unless you already know that that's the right impeller, nothing in your link would lead me to believe that that impeller works with the LS3 since it says it's for the 4.3L/8.1L motors. I did try MP's link first too.

Right, but unless you already know that that's the right impeller, nothing in your link would lead me to believe that that impeller works with the LS3 since it says it's for the 4.3L/8.1L motors. I did try MP's link first too.

You must be bored this morning Shawn....

My sarcastic point was that MP may have a long and storied history in a different boat market, but that doesn't necessarily do anything for a malibu owner, unless their dealer happens to sell those other sorts of boats that have used MP for a long time.

Sea level (ish) performance seems to be as expected, elevation, not so much (at least that's my synopsis of the anecdotes on here). MP's long and storied history at sea level have anything to do with that? Dunno?

Last time I checked Alaska,Canada and Russia were a little higher in elevation than the Gulf of Mexico. Plastic engine covers and base engines do not make the marinization process complete. It is the calibrations especially for the 3 event stuff that Malibu looks for.

Last time I checked Alaska,Canada and Russia were a little higher in elevation than the Gulf of Mexico.

Isn't the ocean "sea level" all over, even in AK, CAN and USSR? I'm missing something here....

Anyone else with the MP LS3 not have the proper "Corvette" cover on the motor?

When my Father in Law received his new 2014 VLX, the engine cover was not mounted and was loose in one of the lockers, Dealer tried to install it but apparently it won't fit the MP version of the motor, Dealer has contacted Malibu which passes the buck to MP and well MP passes it right back.

The dealer says the cover was made for the Indmar version of the LS3.

Anyway you look at it, one year production stuff like this sucks and shows a lack of professionalism & planning on BU's side, it should have been a 2 or 3 year contract minimum.

From the chatter on this forum, sounds like MP did not do a very good job on calibration. Won't run on 87, no power at altitude, and no one can seem to fix it. Wonder if Malibu dealer can simply flash the ecu with an Indmar LS3 program?

My LS3 seems to run just fine on 87.

Last time I checked Alaska,Canada and Russia were a little higher in elevation than the Gulf of Mexico. Plastic engine covers and base engines do not make the marinization process complete. It is the calibrations especially for the 3 event stuff that Malibu looks for.

dumbest thing I have read on the internet in LONG time.

• Like 3

<br />dumbest thing I have read on the internet in LONG time.

<br /><br />Actually, I heard you can look down on Russian from Alaska.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's my question in the Malibu engine wheel of fortune....

What does this do for the dealers? My Malibu dealer had Indmar certifited techs....not PCM certified techs. so now these malibu dealers (who will be carrying Axis) will have to fit the bill to get PCM certified to work on that line. How about those that stock parts.... They may now have to stock different parts (some will be interchangeable).

Am I off base here?

What does this do for the dealers? My Malibu dealer had Indmar certifited techs....not PCM certified techs. so now these malibu dealers (who will be carrying Axis) will have to fit the bill to get PCM certified to work on that line. How about those that stock parts.... They may now have to stock different parts (some will be interchangeable).

Am I off base here?

How many dealers deal with Indmar motors only? Most inboard dealers tend to sell other brands (either several inboard brands, or I/O and Outboard stuff), so they are at least dealing with a least a couple brands of motors.

All of those Mastercraft dealers have to deal with Indmar and Illmor. Tigé dealers have to deal with Indmar and PCM (plus a little MP too). MB has had Indmar and PCM. It's been done in the industry - recently - multiple times, so I doubt it is a big issue at this point.

I think it's a valid point, but not the end of the world. MC seems to have weathered the switch over to ilmor pretty well. Getting parts for an indmar-marinized 350 (i.e. Monsoon) is not going to be a problem for years to come. And the good thing about PCM is that they've also been around in other tow boats for years, so if your dealer doesn't have the part, the guy across the street probably does.

Am I off base here?

My dealer stocks Bu, Axis, Supra, Moomba, and Nautique. Up until a few years ago they had MB. They can and will work on Indmar, PCM, Marine Power, etc.

Mastercraft dealers do likewise... Our local shop works on Indmar, Ilmor, and PCM (they have the MB line now).

My buddy has an MB 23 TWB (PCM) that he chooses to have serviced at the Bu dealer despite buying it across town. No problem.

The local Tige dealer has to deal with the same dynamic as Tige has played revolving engine supplier over the past few years. That dealer is also a Cobalt and Bennington store so they have to work on I/O's and outboards too.

My point is that these shops are already servicing multiple engine lines, and that's nothing new for them... it's the nature of the biz.

I get chills at the thought of a dealer tech doing any kind of maintenance on my boat. The fact that they went to a 1 week certification course does not make me feel any better.

In reality if they can work on an Indmar, they can work on all of them. I think the parts question on a MP is a non issue. Worse case, 10 years down the line, just bolt on Indmar parts.

Wonder how this whole MP vs Indmar crap at Malibu got started.................Probably centered around cost.

Edited by Tims

Having had an LCR and now a PCM EX343 (i.e. two variants of the same 5.7L motor), I prefer the PCM. Impeller changes are much easier and more confidence inspiring without the strippable brass bolts, and the double fuel pump (FCC) setup works nicely. Remote oil filter is a snap to change. I do miss the xover hose for the exhaust manifolds, but if I weren't so lazy I'd have added that (not hard).

None of that is to say I wouldn't own an indmar boat again, just the PCM seems a little easier to work on for a shadetree hack.

OK an update on my shadetree hacking on my pcm motor.... I found one area where I think indmar is slightly easier to service. PCM mounts the ECM, fuses and relays above the intake manifold on the back of the engine (towards front of boat in vdrive), which is right over the distributor. So in order to replace the distributor cap and rotor, I had to remove a crossover hose between the exhaust manifolds, and then remove the bracket holding the relays before I could get to the distributor cap. If memory serves when I did the same project on my vride the distributor cap was just right there on top.

Also for those keeping score at home, my PCM distributor cap did not have brass contacts (same experience as the cap on my vride).