Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PCM Motors in 2015?

DatTexasBoy

incidentally, has anyone noticed indmar now referring to LSA as 572?

Stupid marketing. Looks like they want to keep the same naming convention as the rest of the lineup offered for Malibu/Axis, as the Monsoon name isn't used for other brands.

The numbering doesn't even make sense. The Monsoon 330/350/409 numbers represent HP. The LS3 is 427, but makes 450HP. The LSA is now 572, but I think they are claiming somewhere in the 55x HP range (seems to change).

Having had an LCR and now a PCM EX343 (i.e. two variants of the same 5.7L motor), I prefer the PCM. Impeller changes are much easier and more confidence inspiring without the strippable brass bolts, and the double fuel pump (FCC) setup works nicely. Remote oil filter is a snap to change. I do miss the xover hose for the exhaust manifolds, but if I weren't so lazy I'd have added that (not hard).

None of that is to say I wouldn't own an indmar boat again, just the PCM seems a little easier to work on for a shadetree hack.

• Like 4

Having had an LCR and now a PCM EX343 (i.e. two variants of the same 5.7L motor), I prefer the PCM. Impeller changes are much easier and more confidence inspiring without the strippable brass bolts, and the double fuel pump (FCC) setup works nicely. Remote oil filter is a snap to change. I do miss the xover hose for the exhaust manifolds, but if I weren't so lazy I'd have added that (not hard).

None of that is to say I wouldn't own an indmar boat again, just the PCM seems a little easier to work on for a shadetree hack.

I'd agree on that comparison specifically your "old" engine and new PCM but indmar has had in tank pumps and remote oil filters for several years so there's really no difference on those issues any more (ie no vapor lock in any late model malibu nor filter location advantage). As for the impeller, the old style PCM was god awful, they must have changed that design if you're happy with, which is fine w me. I really don't care one way or the other, but have no reason to complain about Indmar. They've served me well for several decades. Many PCM owners can say the same.

I'd agree on that comparison specifically your "old" engine and new PCM but indmar has had in tank pumps and remote oil filters for several years so there's really no difference on those issues any more (ie no vapor lock in any late model malibu nor filter location advantage). As for the impeller, the old style PCM was god awful, they must have changed that design if you're happy with, which is fine w me. I really don't care one way or the other, but have no reason to complain about Indmar. They've served me well for several decades. Many PCM owners can say the same.

Remove serpentine belt (easy using belt tensioner), remove three hex bolts holding pulley and pump cover on raw water pump, pull cover off. Because the impeller spindle is on the pulley/cover side, the impeller comes out with the cover and there's no need for an impeller puller or lube and pliers, etc. Reverse to reinstall. Pulling the belt seemed daunting at first but it's really so simple it's silly.

Remove serpentine belt (easy using belt tensioner), remove three hex bolts holding pulley and pump cover on raw water pump, pull cover off. Because the impeller spindle is on the pulley/cover side, the impeller comes out with the cover and there's no need for an impeller puller or lube and pliers, etc. Reverse to reinstall. Pulling the belt seemed daunting at first but it's really so simple it's silly.

Cool, and access is easy?

Cool, and access is easy?

On my boat access is totally easy, but can't speak to others. I've got something like 16" between the pulleys and the transom. I mounted all of my supplemental reversible ballast pumps to the inside of transom and there's still plenty of room to work.

I guess one nice thing in that regard is that there isn't a muffler back there... exhaust manifold and cats come together on the other end of the engine (back of engine, front of boat on vdrive), which also really enhances room to work.

Crazy politics. Tige just switched from PCM to Indmar. Now Malibu changing from Indmar to PCM. As the world turns. <br /><br />My friend's '13 Tige Z3 w/PCM 343 very quiet and heavily weighted is way more efficient than my Indmar 350. But that at be due to hull shape.

Are they dumping MP then? Seems like it might be kind of a bummer to have a "one year only" MP powered boat, especially given that MP has the least penetration of any marinizers in the tow boat industry.

Are they dumping MP then? Seems like it might be kind of a bummer to have a "one year only" MP powered boat, especially given that MP has the least penetration of any marinizers in the tow boat industry.

Throwing daggers at hearts here...

Finally there will be something substantial to argue about when discussing PCM vs Indmar. Before it was all Cheby with different colors and exhaust manifold shapes. Now at least we can have 30 pages of Ford vs Chevy arguments. Supra boys seem pretty happy with the Ford's so far. The base 400hp 6.2 has been reported to pull as good or better than the outgoing LS3. The boosted verson is around 570hp.

It will be fun to see how it all pans out.

Finally there will be something substantial to argue about when discussing PCM vs Indmar. Before it was all Cheby with different colors and exhaust manifold shapes. Now at least we can have 30 pages of Ford vs Chevy arguments. Supra boys seem pretty happy with the Ford's so far. The base 400hp 6.2 has been reported to pull as good or better than the outgoing LS3. The boosted verson is around 570hp.

It will be fun to see how it all pans out.

Has the Ford Indmar motors actually made it into the hands of paying customers? I trust no opinions on stuff like this (good and bad) on pre-production stuff or manufacturer testing hype.

Has the Ford Indmar motors actually made it into the hands of paying customers? I trust no opinions on stuff like this (good and bad) on pre-production stuff or manufacturer testing hype.

In your world does it really matter at all? I mean come on, like you would ever consider purchasing a new boat powered with a Ford. But don't worry, you will soon have tons of armchair material to quote on how crappy they perform. :lol:

• Like 4

I think this is a mess for those who have MP engines.

When Tige went away from MP, it seemed the incentive to deliver great customer service declined. They still took care of some people who had problems, but it was not as great as before the split.

Malibu no longer having a stable relationship with an engine manufacturer is a bad thing in my book.

In your world does it really matter at all? I mean come on, like you would ever consider purchasing a new boat powered with a Ford. But don't worry, you will soon have tons of armchair material to quote on how crappy they perform. :lol:

New - no. But these 2015's will be used in a couple of years and we won't be keeping our boat forever. I like others to pay the heaviest portion of deprecation - I have never owned a new car either and don't intend to.

As for the Ford, if it performs better then great...but does it? Hype vs. reality. How is the packaging? Fuel consumption? All important questions.

ahopkins22LSV

We have seen no announcement from PCM or Malibu about this and we are already riding the boat on comparing PCM vs Indmar? I know we had one guy say that his '15 TXi will have a PCM engine per his dealer. BUT, haven't we all had things from our dealer or word of mouth not be true? AND, things have been true so really we have no idea... :lol:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1

I'd love to see an LS3 PCM (or even better an LT1 PCM) in the 2015 VLX. They would have me at hello.

I think their transmission are quieter. I like the easy access water fuel separator. I like that they are broadly available in the marine market.

Edited by Cory