Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powering your boat lift

Levi900RR

Hey everyone I'm still kicking around the idea of a new lift for my Bu. In doing my research I've been thinking about the best way to power it as I'd be opting for an electric lift. I have no power down at the beach so 110 is out.

So here are my options, hoping to get some thoughts on them.

1) Single deep cycle group 24 12V battery. (dealer says it'll be good for 100 lifts between charges)

2) two deep cycles group 24 12V batteries in seiries. Should cut lifting time in half. Is it worth it to do this?

3) Make some sort of harness / plug so the boat battery powers the lift.

Thanks!

PS, here is a side by side lift video. One with 12V the other 24V.

No way will single battery charge do 100 lifts. I have one at my cottage and I recharge after every lift. Your best bet is to buy solar panels that charge between uses, though if you are up/down several times in a day you will lose charge.

The dude told me it takes a solar charger 24 hours of direct sunlight to charge the batter back up after 1 lift... said it wasn't worth the 350 bucks. I don't want to be huffing the battery / batteries up to my house more than once a year.

I normally take the boat off the lift in the morning, then leave it off all day. If we are going to go up for lunch or something I just tie up to the dock.

Guy we ski with just has a harness that plugs into his mastercraft. Probably the best option since you never have to screw around charging the battery.

I was thinking that same thing.

I had one like that, worked great. Not much of a PITA either.

Definitely simple. He just has the cord hanging above boat height under the canopy, opens the spotter seat and grabs the mating cord to plug it in. Since the cord is dangling in the middle of the boat when connected there isn't really any danger of forgetting to disconnect it.

Edited by oldjeep

Definitely simple. He just has the cord hanging above boat height under the canopy, opens the spotter seat and grabs the mating cord to plug it in. Since the cord is dangling in the middle of the boat when connected there isn't really any danger of forgetting to disconnect it.

Off to the google to find a cord / plug set up.

I have a hydraulic hoist with a single group 24 deep cycle battery and two 20 watt solar panels. I have never had an issue with no power. I have not disconnected the solar chargers to see how many lifts/lowers I can get on a single charge, but I have lifted/lowered the boat up to 10 times over two days without any issue. Obviously, the panels charged it some during that time. Just posting my experience, FWIW.

The dude told me it takes a solar charger 24 hours of direct sunlight to charge the batter back up after 1 lift... said it wasn't worth the 350 bucks. I don't want to be huffing the battery / batteries up to my house more than once a year.

I normally take the boat off the lift in the morning, then leave it off all day. If we are going to go up for lunch or something I just tie up to the dock.

Dude lied to you.

I have a liftec system with two 12 volt deep cycles wired in series to give 24 volts and a nice little 20 watt 24 volt solar panel. We can run the boat up and down 10 times a day on the weekend and we have never had a problem. Panel keeps them fully charged. No way I would screw around trying to power the lift off of the boat. I have actually used the lift to jump the boat once when her batteries went south on me.

If your only going up and down once a day save your money and keep the crank on the lift.....once its powered all the hassle goes out of using the lift and you will be up and down more than once a day.

This is great info. After some more thought I was leaning against the boat powering the lift as I dont want to mess with plugging it in, lifting, unplugging, covering etc...

I think I'm leaning towards two batteries and a solar charger.

Anyone know of a less expensive solution to this:

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-201-20-watt-solar-charging-kit-for-24v-powered-system.aspx

This whole deal is going to wreck my budget as it is... adding this just pour salt in the wound. :lol:

Yeah, check out the one I listed in the thread dtm8119 posted. It's only $160 and will desulfate the batteries.

You may need one of these as well depending on your situation: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geoking-GK-MS11K-Solar-Panel-Side-of-Pole-Mount-amp-Wall-Mount-Made-in-USA-/181246633236?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Edited by Tao of Wake

So could I use one of those northern tool charges to charge 2 12V batteries if I had them set up in a series?

Yes

Sorry. I was mistaken. It will not charge a 24v battery setup, only 12v. It can charge up to 4 batteries, but connected in parallel.

Crap

So is it worth the extra $ on batteries and chargers to get double the speed? I'm thinking no, I mean what's 70 seconds twice a day...

Edited by Levi900RR

I really don't think it is. Remember that you are out enjoying the day taking care of your boat. Another 70 seconds a day is nothing.

I just bought a new lift this year. It is a vertical lift that is run by an out of the water hydraulic cable system.

It has solar and 2 deep cycle marine batteries. Everything is enclose in a box attached to the lift. I freaking love the thing. ZERO maintenance and I have gone up and down 5 times in a day with no problem.

The guy who sold it to me said I could leave the batteries outside in winter as the solar panel would keep them charged. What do you guys think about that? Sorry on the mini thread hijack

I just bought a new lift this year. It is a vertical lift that is run by an out of the water hydraulic cable system.

It has solar and 2 deep cycle marine batteries. Everything is enclose in a box attached to the lift. I freaking love the thing. ZERO maintenance and I have gone up and down 5 times in a day with no problem.

The guy who sold it to me said I could leave the batteries outside in winter as the solar panel would keep them charged. What do you guys think about that? Sorry on the mini thread hijack

I don't agree. I thought the same thing and left mine out this past winter. The battery was completely dead. I just don't think there is enough sunlight to even provide the minimum amount of current to maintain the battery. I will be reverting back to removing the battery and putting it on a maintenance charger in the garage next winter.